PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Zappe Beats out Brissett in TC? Now What?

interesting... I never got that kind of read on Zappe... I'm actually kinda shocked to hear that
Heard that about Zappe from another poster too I didn't like hearing it knowing that he's very limited.

Actually nah he wasn't at all.
Indeed. Zappe was the worst QB in the league by DVOA last year, worse than Bryce Young, and far worse than Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, and Justin Fields -- who were all of them terrible.

No team wanted him for free when he was cut last summer and much like Jones this past season he was atrocious a lot more often than not.

I don't think anything changed as far as his value goes.
For him to beat out Brissett would mark a massive improvement.

This assumes Zappe = Sam Howell.

@Tunescribe who do you want us to Draft with our first two picks??

I do think Rourke is a bigger x-factor who could sort of complicate things. But again, that would be a better problem to have than no one emerging at all.

I do think Rourke is a bigger x-factor who could sort of complicate things. But again, that would be a better problem to have than no one emerging at all.
i can't help but think of nathan rourke as a camp arm... a warm body to throw passes in practice

Reactions: Ian
i can't help but think of nathan rourke as a camp arm... a warm body to throw passes in practice
He's a solid player. He's sort of like where Flutie was when he came back. Rourke came out of the CFL after essentially winning their version of the MVP and was a guy the Jaguars really liked until New England messed that up and snatched him on waivers. They were pretty frustrated they lost him.

It's funny, he's revered up in Canada, and they're all rooting for him to succeed here.

What if Wolfs' master plan of having Brissett as the starting QB for the Pats in 2024

I stopped reading right here. In what universe is there evidence that this is Wolf's "Master Plan"? It's far more likely that they're taking a QB at 3, and he'll play when he's ready. That could be week 1 of 2024, or sometime in 2025, or ANYTHING IN BETWEEN. People are really overstating the certainty that a rookie QB: A) Won't play in year 1, and B) If he does will get broken for some reason so the Patriots are intentionally throwing Brissett to the wolves.

The room will likely consist of #3, Brissett, Rourke, and possibly Zappe. Given Wolf's philosophy of playing the young players so they get development, if #3 is ready, he's starting. If he's not ready, that doesn't mean Brissett was the master plan, just that the kid needs to show a bit more before he's handed the reins.

Brissett is being paid to mentor the QB room while being available as the safety net as starter. It would be great if he never starts a game because Rourke emerges during training camp and then the new guy takes the job to start next season. Zappe is not a good player on the field and is not a good teammate. If there was any doubt about the last part it went away when he liked the announcement of the Mac trade. Even if you hate the guy, what kind of ****head does that?

Brissett is being paid to mentor the QB room while being available as the safety net as starter. It would be great if he never starts a game because Rourke emerges during training camp and then the new guy takes the job to start next season. Zappe is not a good player on the field and is not a good teammate. If there was any doubt about the last part it went away when he liked the announcement of the Mac trade. Even if you hate the guy, what kind of ****head does that?
Stu, Brissett was brought in to be the interim starter... one year deal, cover for the rookie while he gets up to speed

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
I don't really understand why people seem to think Zappe has an attitude problem and is a bad teammate. Yes the QB room had issues last year but I don't remember Zappe being the problem, and his teammates seem to think well of him. What's up with that?

I have no evidence that Zappe ISN'T an a-hole when it comes to Mac, but we should be really careful trying to read too deeply into a "like" on social media. For all we know, Mac wanted out (and who could blame him after the last three years), and getting sent to his hometown team was a positive for him. Zappe liking that could be as much about seeing a teammate go somewhere he wanted to go, as it was "good riddance". Of course, I don't know either way, but this kind of extrapolation reminds me of when people try to predict what a player means when they just tweet an emoji or something. Social media is chaotic nonsense.

@Tunescribe who do you want us to Draft with our first two picks??

I would like to see them trade out of No. 3 -- grab a franchise left tackle AND wide receiver OR quarterback in the first round, then a quarterback OR wide receiver at top of the second round. They could come out of it with three great contributors and maybe further draft capital for this year or next. The team has too many screaming needs not to address as many as possible with this opportunity.

IF they pick a quarterback at No. 3 it will be whoever is left over from Williams/Daniels/Maye, which means they're letting other teams dictate who it is and they'll have to be damn lucky he pans out.

People seem to be missing the point of Brissett. It isn't to win games or put up stats. He is here to mentor a rookie. Help him in the film room, help him prepare throughout the week, basically help the kid become a pro. Zappe doesn't know how to do any of those things himself and even if he did he wouldn't be teaching the rookie.

There's gonna be a lot of negativity toward Zappe because people don't want him anywhere near the starting job. They don't want Brissett there either. I'm not sure how much of the rampant Zappe hate is because of anything he did or didn't do and how much because people are afraid we won't go for a premium QB if we have both Zappe and Brissett. I suspect most of it is in the latter category.

I wouldn't be surprised if we broke camp with Brissett, Zappe and a new face all un the roster. the 49ers proved the hard way the dangers of leaning too hard on the new kid too early. I think we'll have Zappe so that we have 2 quarterbacks if something awful happens and the kid gets hurt early a la Trey Lance. Frankly I think the kid proved there's something there, probably not a starter, but he looks like he could mature into a strong backup. I'll be happy to have him on the roster in case either Brissett or the new kid get hurt. he's shown some skill, he has resisted injury so far, and that's all it takes to be a QB3 in this league.

Besides Zappe sounds so much like a first evolution Pokemon that he amuses me.

I would like to see them trade out of No. 3 -- grab a franchise left tackle AND wide receiver OR quarterback in the first round, then a quarterback OR wide receiver at top of the second round. They could come out of it with three great contributors and maybe further draft capital for this year or next. The team has too many screaming needs not to address as many as possible with this opportunity.

IF they pick a quarterback at No. 3 it will be whoever is left over from Williams/Daniels/Maye, which means they're letting other teams dictate who it is and they'll have to be damn lucky he pans out.
I with you Tune and in this particular Draft I am tempted to do option A Trade out @ 3. But I get the feeling that Williams - Daniels and Maye are all going to be Good QB's. That would be a tough pass our Poor Drafting over the years have come back to haunt us especially on the WR side so we have so many needs now at the Premium Positions on Offense QB - WR and LT. That said Trading out From 3 get's us possibly two of those positions filled a Second tier QB from this grip could pan out into a Goff or Purdy not the worse situation in the world. Wolf have a lot to think about.

There's gonna be a lot of negativity toward Zappe because people don't want him anywhere near the starting job. They don't want Brissett there either. I'm not sure how much of the rampant Zappe hate is because of anything he did or didn't do and how much because people are afraid we won't go for a premium QB if we have both Zappe and Brissett. I suspect most of it is in the latter category.

I wouldn't be surprised if we broke camp with Brissett, Zappe and a new face all un the roster. the 49ers proved the hard way the dangers of leaning too hard on the new kid too early. I think we'll have Zappe so that we have 2 quarterbacks if something awful happens and the kid gets hurt early a la Trey Lance. Frankly I think the kid proved there's something there, probably not a starter, but he looks like he could mature into a strong backup. I'll be happy to have him on the roster in case either Brissett or the new kid get hurt. he's shown some skill, he has resisted injury so far, and that's all it takes to be a QB3 in this league.

Besides Zappe sounds so much like a first evolution Pokemon that he amuses me.
Gee I hope not good luck selling them to Season Ticket Holders RK. :(

Sad Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

If Zappe beats out Brissett, it means two things.

1) Brisset has regressed big time.
2) Pats are picking #1 overall in 2025

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3