PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are you expecting from Mac Jones this season?

They weren’t throwing to receivers. So it didn’t judge accuracy. So they just hucked the ball down the field. It didn’t judge the velocity of the ball and how fast it down field.

Any NFL quarterback can throw for distance. The difference between a QB with a strong arm and a weak one is how fast the ball moves down the field on a deep pass and whether they can hit a receiver in stride 30-40 yards down field. The QB Challenge didn’t judge either.

Besides, half the QBs probably didn’t even take the competition seriously and were just there for the free trip to Hawaii.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to make silly posts in an attempt to minimize Brady's arm strength. "They didn't just accuracy". No ****, because it was a distance contest.

I get that but unfortunately that's not how GWD and 4QC are measured. Maybe we can add another stat like GAWD & 4QAC. Brady would probably be tops in those also since our D lost many leads after an almost come back.

I am not saying it is unique to Jones. I am just pointing out he had a few games that he could have had game winning drives if not for things out of his control. I am sure Brady has plenty. I would assume it is more frequent earlier in a QB's career. I bet in the games I mentioned, the coaching staff would have more confidence to milk the clock a little more with an experienced contract and as others pointed out they might be a little more aggressive rather than settle for a long field goal.

I am just pointing out his first year he was better than it looks on paper in this category. Doesn't mean much if he never starts to convert these last second disappointments into wins.

Including Brady only 6 QB's participated. Completely bogus event.

The event's the event. Brady's arm was enough to beat all comers. Your argument doesn't even rise to the level of ridiculous.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to make silly posts in an attempt to minimize Brady's arm strength. "They didn't just accuracy". No ****, because it was a distance contest.

Not silly at all. What's silly is to use a QBs challenge skills competition as proof as anything in terms of a QB's skills. Seriously, what does 2-4 throws in a QB Competition tell you? Really? You are literally judging his arm strength of his peers based on four throws against a bunch of QBs on vacation in Hawaii. The QB Competition was nothing more than the equivalent of a scratch golf game of a bunch of friends on vacation. It was entertaining to watch, but meant nothing.

You watched those things. The old, well paid QBs barely seemed interest in competing for what $10,000? They are all joking around and having a good time. It was a vacation.

Can we talk about Mac Jones being the best scrambling QB in the NFL because he ran for a 65 yard TD in the Pro Bowl?

The lesson. Take better care of yourself and you will be in better shape and overall healthier.

Yeah, for sure. But this was the 80s and early 90s...not only did NFL players not known nearly as much about nutrition back then, but the rules were a lot different.

Last edited:
Which probably factored into Belichick's decision in an odd way as well. Yes, it made the kick from Folk harder, but if you have confidence he can make it (which to be fair, he VERY nearly did), then Tom has to either score a touchdown in less than a minute, or the TAMPA kicker has to make a tough kick in the rain as well. Basically, Bill gambled that his kicker was better in the rain than Tampa's. Didn't work out, c'est la vie.

I think BB intentionally yanked Mac and put Folk out there so if they lost, the blame would be on him, not Mac. It was obvious BB did not want a Mac vs. Brady comparison to fester for a long time.

Not silly at all. What's silly is to use a QBs challenge skills competition as proof as anything in terms of a QB's skills. Seriously, what does 2-4 throws in a QB Competition tell you? Really? You are literally judging his arm strength of his peers based on four throws against a bunch of QBs on vacation in Hawaii. The QB Competition was nothing more than the equivalent of a scratch golf game of a bunch of friends on vacation. It was entertaining to watch, but meant nothing.

You watched those things. The old, well paid QBs barely seemed interest in competing for what $10,000? They are all joking around and having a good time. It was a vacation.

Can we talk about Mac Jones being the best scrambling QB in the NFL because he ran for a 65 yard TD in the Pro Bowl?

Your first post was mostly irrelevant. because you were injecting accuracy into a discussion about general arm strength This post of yours is just flat out stupid.

I think BB intentionally yanked Mac and put Folk out there so if they lost, the blame would be on him, not Mac. It was obvious BB did not want a Mac vs. Brady comparison to fester for a long time.
Wouldn't put something like that past BB but I'd think we'd know better than to compare a rookie QB playing the 4th NFL game of his life against the defending champs with the GOAT.

Wouldn't put something like that past BB but I'd think we'd know better than to compare a rookie QB playing the 4th NFL game of his life against the defending champs with the GOAT.

We here at Patsfans? Naturally.

But the media? They'd never let it go. Same way they never let spygate or deflategate go.

Your first post was mostly irrelevant. because you were injecting accuracy into a discussion about general arm strength This post of yours is just flat out stupid.

Deep ball accuracy is a product of arm strength. That is generally known.

Brady's arm strength is adequate. He can throw the ball deep (60-70 yards). He's not going to have as much velocity on the ball as Rodgers or Allen, etc., but the ball will get there.

BTW, here is what Sam Munson says about being able to throw the deep ball and arm strength:

BTW, here is what Sam Munson says about being able to throw the deep ball and arm strength:

Mac needs to improve his arm strength but it's for this ...

... not for his deep ball. Sure it'll help but he wins deep bc of timing, anticipation and accuracy. Velocity will help but "arm strength" is more for out routes, tight window passes, far hash - far sideline.

It's an issue but again I'm more concerned with floaters he tosses at times. You can see it on some deep(er) stuff,
(floater)

for me it’s the intermediate stuff bc that's his bread n butter.

... not for his deep ball. Sure it'll help but he wins deep bc of timing, anticipation and accuracy. Velocity will help but "arm strength" is more for out routes, tight window passes, far hash - far sideline.

It's an issue but again I'm more concerned with floaters he tosses at times. You can see it on some deep(er) stuff,
(floater)

You know better than I, but that last throw to me looks more like an anticipation/read problem more than arm strength. Maybe there's an angle on the all-22 that clears it up, but even if that ball gets there a half second earlier, those defenders looked REALLY close to Bourne. Felt like that was more bad read than floater, but again, I'm definitely not an expert.

You know better than I, but that last throw to me looks more like an anticipation/read problem more than arm strength. Maybe there's an angle on the all-22 that clears it up, but even if that ball gets there a half second earlier, those defenders looked REALLY close to Bourne. Felt like that was more bad read than floater, but again, I'm definitely not an expert.
I got np with the decision. Saf is in cleanup duty, he'll snag a tipped ball but isn't directly involved. He's close though.

Bourne could have helped out a lot more but this was a floater. That ball hung up there at the end. There was no gas or w/e you want to call it. You can throw a moon ball but the accuracy wasn't there either. Again I need to see more juice on that ball but Bourne probably could have played this better as well.

This was a bad decision/read, more decision but this is a good example of that. Arm strength or velocity wouldn't have matter here.

(floater)

Exactly. It's the tight windows that require more velocity on the ball. Look at this 25 yard pass. There's no apex on the throw, it's a rope.

Carr-aggressive-decision_2.gif

Carr-aggressive-decision_3.gif

Exactly. It's the tight windows that require more velocity on the ball. Look at this 25 yard pass. There's no apex on the throw, it's a rope.

View attachment 43557

View attachment 43558
Yup I talked about it a lot pre-draft and got killed for it. I said it a few times but thought his mechanics could improve and could possibly unlock some gas on his passes. That's where velocity shows up though. The deep stuff is a but overrated in terms of arm strength. Very rarely will you see balls travel farther than 40-50 yards. It's just not something you see a lot. It helps but this is where it shows up. Especially for a QB that likes to work the MOF.

(floater)

mac’s throw in the first one looks lazy on his part. he had space to step up and rifle the ball but for whatever reason didn’t…

View attachment 43557

View attachment 43558

Tight windows over the middle in medium-to-deep range,, and deep outs when there's coverage. Those are where we most need to see the "improvement".

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back