PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WFT releases Alex Smith after comeback.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Would he be a viable option? I wonder if he has anything left in the tank. That injury he got was pretty bad. Washington went 5-1 with him as QB last year.

you could do a lot worse. He's smart, experienced and knows how to play within his limits. He matches up well with what Edelman does best and Meyers also seems to be a player smith could make use of. If you want a veteran game manager who can pass to set up the run, Smith's probably the best available candidate.

you could do a lot worse. He's smart, experienced and knows how to play within his limits. He matches up well with what Edelman does best and Meyers also seems to be a player smith could make use of. If you want a veteran game manager who can pass to set up the run, Smith's probably the best available candidate.
BB has a knack for signing veterans and revitalizing their career. I think he would be a fit here. I don’t think his price will be that high

If he was healthy I would say yes, but this...

leg.jpg

makes me think that his playing days are done. That was just a gruesome injury and then an awful infection. All the kudos in the world for him to come back from that. But I just don't think you can rely on him.

View attachment 30903

makes me think that his playing days are done. That was just a gruesome injury and then an awful infection. All the kudos in the world for him to come back from that. But I just don't think you can rely on him.
Yeah that infection he got is a rare but life threatening infection. He nearly had his leg amputated but he started the rehab process and doctors cleared him. He stepped in one game and threw for 300 yards. This would be similar to the Cam experiment but unlike cam, smith can still throw.

This is the scenario I had the highest hopes for realistically happening; draft a QB for the future and use Smith as a bridge. We just needed the WFT to release him. Now that it's happened, sign the beast. The guy can succeed here.

Man...one hit on that leg and it’s over. That’s scary. But...likeable, professional, competent, and a playoff run would be a HELL of a feel good story for the Pats

View attachment 30903

Is that picture something recent post-return to the league, or right after the injury happened or when it was infected?

We should be on the phone with him already. It doesn't matter if he's not a tier-1 QB. He's a professional, hard worker, and has all the skills to command this offense at an acceptable level. Bring him in + draft a young guy.
Go get him and trade up to draft either Wilson or Lance, Bill.
I was going to combine these two post and say the same thing. This is the ultimate, perfect scenario for this team. Ideally we get him for two years. To play and mentor.

I would of had him higher than Rodgers in that draft. Not that controversial at the time but I've always loved him and did back then. Way before I kept track but I've always been a fan. Guys like him are very rare.

View attachment 30903

It's gruesome but the human body is remarkable and can handle incredible amounts of punishment and pain. If he's good enough now sign him to a 2 year deal. Every player is a hit away from the end. Can't worry about the past but yea that picture is tough.
Is that picture something recent post-return to the league, or right after the injury happened or when it was infected?
Its old

I was going to combine these two post and say the same thing. This is the ultimate, perfect scenario for this team. Ideally we get him for two years. To play and mentor.

I would of had him higher than Rodgers in that draft. Not that controversial at the time but I've always loved him and did back then. Way before I kept track but I've always been a fan. Guys like him are very rare.
Interesting to note that Smith has been replaced by a younger qb twice since he’s been a starter. The first time by Kaepernick and again by Mahomes.

Sign Smith, draft someone at 15 (or better), and let Stidham and the PS QB battle it out for spot 3. I'd be fine with that plan, as long as whoever they draft is someone they really believe in and isn't just being taken on account of being a young QB.

Should leave plenty of money to surround Smith with some good talent and upgrade the D. I doubt Smith is going to get huge, guaranteed money anywhere.

Sign him today. Perfect bridge guy. Takes care of the ball and knows how to win.

Sign Smith, draft someone at 15 (or better), and let Stidham and the PS QB battle it out for spot 3. I'd be fine with that plan, as long as whoever they draft is someone they really believe in and isn't just being taken on account of being a young QB.

Should leave plenty of money to surround Smith with some good talent and upgrade the D. I doubt Smith is going to get huge, guaranteed money anywhere.
I’d take smith over Fitzpatrick, winston, trubisky or brissett anyday. He’s the best option apart from Dak who is definitely getting franchise tagged

Sign him today. Perfect bridge guy. Takes care of the ball and knows how to win.
Like I said, there’s totally hidden potential there. Smith went 5-1 as a starter this year. Washington just couldn’t afford to keep him. He threw for 1600 passing yards. I think smith is a diamond in the rough. I’d be shocked if Bill isn’t at least giving him a call

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back