PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WFT releases Alex Smith after comeback.

Part of me feels he should retire considering his injury history. Part of me wonders if he could have late career success like Rich Gannon. The Patriots have a strong O line and running game and can add the necessary pieces through a perfect storm of a lot of salary cap space while other teams are forced to cut good players because of the COVID related salary cap. He could be a great game manager.

Love to see him still playing, and would be happy to see him sign here, but I wouldn't plan a season around him as the starter after last year. He did get a lot of wins, but didn't look very good in doing so. That defense was balling out.

To me he seems like the perfect backup/mentor, but given our QB situation, he could easily start. I just don't want us to sign him and call it a day.

Part of me feels he should retire considering his injury history. Part of me wonders if he could have late career success like Rich Gannon. The Patriots have a strong O line and running game and can add the necessary pieces through a perfect storm of a lot of salary cap space while other teams are forced to cut good players because of the COVID related salary cap. He could be a great game manager.
My understanding is that his leg is never going to hold up. It’s pretty much artificially constructed. I’d be shocked if he ever made it through 6 games that he made it through this year.
I think his best case is being don strock on a team that has a running QB

I can't remember which thread I mentioned this, but I like the idea of a dual vet QB setup. Sign Smith and Fitzpicksix, for example, and let them serve as the bridge to the young QB you bring in.

Of course, that's my thinking if the team's going to be using this year (and possibly next) as semi-rebuilds rather than attempts to return to earlier glory or attempts to do a more complete tear down/rebuild.

My understanding is that his leg is never going to hold up. It’s pretty much artificially constructed. I’d be shocked if he ever made it through 6 games that he made it through this year.
I think his best case is being don strock on a team that has a running QB
If his leg is that bad, he should retire. He’s made $190 million in his career. Hang up the cleats.

Would he be a viable option? I wonder if he has anything left in the tank. That injury he got was pretty bad. Washington went 5-1 with him as QB last year.
You got the letters wrong. It's supposed to be Washington Team Football. (WTF).. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Love to see him still playing, and would be happy to see him sign here, but I wouldn't plan a season around him as the starter after last year. He did get a lot of wins, but didn't look very good in doing so. That defense was balling out.

To me he seems like the perfect backup/mentor, but given our QB situation, he could easily start. I just don't want us to sign him and call it a day.

I suspect with an extra year of recovery, and an actual training camp this season (assuming that goes through with vaccines, etc), he could exceed last year's showing. The thing that stood out was his turnovers -- he had developed a good sense of taking care of the ball, but last year he seemed to regress. Nonetheless, watch this compilation of his throws and compare to Newton. It's a highlight video, admittedly, but he still looks like a very solid step up.

Just watched that highlight reel...honestly his arm is very good. Also that Sims kid can play

I suspect with an extra year of recovery, and an actual training camp this season (assuming that goes through with vaccines, etc), he could exceed last year's showing. The thing that stood out was his turnovers -- he had developed a good sense of taking care of the ball, but last year he seemed to regress. Nonetheless, watch this compilation of his throws and compare to Newton. It's a highlight video, admittedly, but he still looks like a very solid step up.

Hmm, after watching that, I want Sims.

And I agree with the above post: nothing wrong with Smith's arm. he's smart, protects the ball and can make all the throws. Unless they're looking to bring in a vet to develop, Smith would be my favorite available.

WTF releases Alex Smith and that should be it. I doubt he can survive a 17 game season plus playoffs should you get there.

Absolutely, he would be better than Newton. But he also probably will cost non-negligible money, and I don't want to see this team give out a real contract to a QB who isn't a likely long term option.

If he was healthy I would say yes, but this...

View attachment 30903

makes me think that his playing days are done. That was just a gruesome injury and then an awful infection. All the kudos in the world for him to come back from that. But I just don't think you can rely on him.
Good lord.

Absolutely, he would be better than Newton. But he also probably will cost non-negligible money, and I don't want to see this team give out a real contract to a QB who isn't a likely long term option.
Whether or not to do that depends on the reasoning you're applying to the QB position. In this context, I'm using "money" as a substitute for "real contract".

1-2 year mentor of a draft pick/trade = Paying out some money makes sense. By the time the rookie/youngster needs the bigger dollars, you'll have moved on
Decision to try making playoffs = Paying out some money makes sense. You're trying to win, not trying to cheap out.
Want to end up with a top 5 pick next year = Save your money, start a complete stiff who can't win

I'd be willing to take a risk on him assuming we're targeting a QB in the draft. Even if not, Smith is STILL one of the safest betss out there at QB1, even with the injury concerns. Not because he's so great, although he's good, but because QB in FA is a perpetual buyer's market

I'd be willing to take a risk on him assuming we're targeting a QB in the draft. Even if not, Smith is STILL one of the safest betss out there at QB1, even with the injury concerns. Not because he's so great, although he's good, but because QB in FA is a perpetual buyer's market
I’m leaning towards Trubisky and a rookie.
Maybe draft Davis Mills in the third to go along with Stidham and Tru god help us.
If Lance is there at 15 and we Pass I’m going to ugly cry.

I’d take Smith all day over Newton. He’s a solid game manager who can be the bridge to the QB we better be drafting.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back