Kicker
Punter

Nice to have
FB
Slot receiver
TE1 - replace Henry in 2024
NT
OG backup

I am hearing that premium OTs might be drafted by 10 and rest all are technically overdrafts at 14. Since 14 is technically the highest we are drafting if there is a impact player, we stay pat and draft the player .

Witherspoon is one whom everyone raves about .
Darnell Washington and Rashee rice are other two offensive players i would love is to draft even if it means trading up .

In FA with 34 million and few restructures maybe we should get Mike Mcglinchey , Jonathan Jones, Peppers and Meyers if possible . Else we might need to draft one more veteran who can come on discount like toney .

So, you're in favor of dumping both Folk and Bailey (cap cop savings about 1.7M under the Top 51 Rule)

So, you want to sign McGlinchey and keep Trent Brown at LT while forgoing other LTs in the draft for a "CB1".

I wonder if the Pats will be interested in Dre’Mont Jones in free agency. If I am recalling correctly, they were very high on him coming out of OSU and he would pair well with Barmore to augment their interior pass rush.

Daron Payne would be an ideal addition next to Barmore because of his ability to both stop the run and get to the QB at 320 lbs and there is an Alabama connection but I highly doubt that Bill will want to match the big offers that he will likely get on the open market, after he balled out during his contract year. I am sure that Washington would love to keep him, but they may not be willing to sink that much money into their DL. They are already paying Allen big money, and Montez Sweat and Chase Young will want to get paid in the coming years.

Payne showed early in his NFL career that he could be a stout run-defender from the nose tackle position, with his 86 defensive stops against the run the most in the NFL from 2018-20.

“He established career highs in tackles, sacks [11.5] and tackles for loss [18.] He was third in the NFL in TFLs, two ahead of Allen, who missed the final game

I could see them signing Payne if he's not tagged by Washington. They could put he Barmore and Godchaux on either side of Payne in addition to Judon and Uche on the outside. Then put Dugger/Peppers out along side Bentley with Phillips playing the High Safety.

Or they could have Godchaux/Payne in the Middle with Judon/Barmore on the edges, playing a 4/3 Under.. You could sup in Wise to spell Barmore on early downs and then use Barmore/Wise on clear passing downs in the inside.
First order of business is improving the Tackle position though. Whether it's Orlando Brown Jr or McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor or Kalb McGary, or a draft pick, it needs to be improved.
In a perfect world, they'd sign one of those 4 and then use 14 to take Witherspoon or trade down to take Rice, though something tells me that Tank Dell would be an awesome fit here.

Not particularly, but that QB franchise tag number really isn't bad, even if you did it twice in a row. Kyler Murray's cap number is more than that.
It looks like Lamar will be playing for 32m next year.

So, you're in favor of dumping both Folk and Bailey (cap cop savings about 1.7M under the Top 51 Rule)

So, you want to sign McGlinchey and keep Trent Brown at LT while forgoing other LTs in the draft for a "CB1".
Whether we like it or not Bailey has played his last down for pats. I don't expect him to be resigned .

If any of the top 4 LT are available at 14, great , else better to draft the best CB.

I could see them signing Payne if he's not tagged by Washington. They could put he Barmore and Godchaux on either side of Payne in addition to Judon and Uche on the outside. Then put Dugger/Peppers out along side Bentley with Phillips playing the High Safety.

Or they could have Godchaux/Payne in the Middle with Judon/Barmore on the edges, playing a 4/3 Under.. You could sup in Wise to spell Barmore on early downs and then use Barmore/Wise on clear passing downs in the inside.
First order of business is improving the Tackle position though. Whether it's Orlando Brown Jr or McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor or Kalb McGary, or a draft pick, it needs to be improved.
In a perfect world, they'd sign one of those 4 and then use 14 to take Witherspoon or trade down to take Rice, though something tells me that Tank Dell would be an awesome fit here.
Belichick got a lot of criticism for extending Godchaux last offseason he was consistently good and, at times, outstanding last year. Opponents would have a very difficult time running inside on him and Payne.

It’s a shame that this teams OT class is relatively weak, particularly when it comes to high end guys. CB will probably offer more value at 14 and it is hard not to fall in love with Witherspoon the more you watch of him. Reminds me a bit of (a taller, thinner version of) Antoine Winfield in terms of his enthusiasm for tackling/contact. You don’t see that often in many CBs with his frame. My hope is that the CB run starts later than anticipated and that the teams ahead of the Pats fall in love with the size of Gonzalez and Porter Jr. (I wouldn’t mind the latter either). If Witherspoon ends up being CB3 the Pats would have a good shot and him.

Whether we like it or not Bailey has played his last down for pats. I don't expect him to be resigned .

If any of the top 4 LT are available at 14, great , else better to draft the best CB.

What are you yammering on about? Bailey signed an extension last year and is signed through 2025. Folk's deal is through 2023.

It's really not that hard to look up.

Bailey signed an extension last year and is signed through 2025.

His suspension technically voided his guaranteed money.

Additionally, a grievance has been filed on behalf of the fourth-year punter who will be losing out on the upcoming salary guarantees in his contract because of the suspension.

I like it except that I still want Dugger to replace McCourty.

I like it except that I still want Dugger to replace McCourty.
I love Dugger, but he's not a "Free Safety". He's a Strong Safety in the mold of Rodney Harrison. While Dugger might be able to take McCourty's place as a leader, the Pats need someone with more range/speed at that FS spot.

That doesn't mean he's not under contract. And the grievance was filed in regards to that guaranteed money.

As a follow-up, I messaged @Patscap - Miguel Benzan on Twitter asking him about Bailey. Here is his response. I'll take him over an article written a month ago by someone who's cap/contract knowledge is not remotely close to that of Miguel's.

I love Dugger, but he's not a "Free Safety". He's a Strong Safety in the mold of Rodney Harrison. While Dugger might be able to take McCourty's place as a leader, the Pats need someone with more range/speed at that FS spot.

Joshuah Bledsoe? Could he fill in? IIRC, the knock against him was man coverage due to stiff hips....but as a FS...he would be playing with receivers in front of him. He has been "seasoned" for two seasons now....an in-house solution behind Phillips/Dugger....

That doesn't mean he's not under contract. And the grievance was filed in regards to that guaranteed money.
This is just speculation, but I'm betting the Pats agreed to stand by the guarantees when they withdrew the suspension. I think they were just sending him a message.

Joshuah Bledsoe? Could he fill in? IIRC, the knock against him was man coverage due to stiff hips....but as a FS...he would be playing with receivers in front of him. He has been "seasoned" for two seasons now....an in-house solution behind Phillips/Dugger....
Could be. We just don't know since the Pats insisted on playing Myles Bryant ahead of him. Whenever I saw Bryant on the field, I knew the opposing team would get a big play.

Could be. We just don't know since the Pats insisted on playing Myles Bryant ahead of him. Whenever I saw Bryant on the field, I knew the opposing team would get a big play.

I was under the impression that Bryant played slot/nickle CB not safety? We routinely had Phillips/McCourty/Dugger along with Peppers rotating out there. Bryant would then come on as the 3rd/4th CB???

I was under the impression that Bryant played slot/nickle CB not safety? We routinely had Phillips/McCourty/Dugger along with Peppers rotating out there. Bryant would then come on as the 3rd/4th CB???
He was on the field way too much all season long. Toward the end of the year they were just out of bodies, but it's no accident the Patriots started playing well when Marcus Jones finally beat him out on the depth chart.

Myles Bryant is terrible. He needs to go. You have to do better than that even for just depth.

He was on the field way too much all season long. Toward the end of the year they were just out of bodies, but it's no accident the Patriots started playing well when Marcus Jones finally beat him out on the depth chart.

Myles Bryant is terrible. He needs to go. You have to do better than that even for just depth.

He is fine for depth, IMO.

Had Jalen Mills and Jack Jones not gotten hurt...he wouldn't have seen the field very much.

Bryant was listed as a Safety. Yes, he played slot corner (horribly). But there were times he dropped back into the safety position with McCourty coming up.

When players in the secondary didn't try to cover for Bryant, Bryant was taken advantage of. When they tried to cover for Bryant, they were taken advantage of..

He is fine for depth, IMO.

Had Jalen Mills and Jack Jones not gotten hurt...he wouldn't have seen the field very much.
Sure, Bryant is fine as our 5th CB, behind the 3 Jones boys and Mills.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back