PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wendell or Connolly - can we keep them both away from the Dolphins for week 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB4PRez

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Unlike many I will be sad to see either one go. Although, I recognize it is likely that one will be gone barring a significant trading camp injury. As a fan I feel like both have given me all I can expect, which is 100% effort in on year round basis and the willingness to play quietly when banged up. (At leasrt to me, there is no way that Wendell regressed as much as it appeared from 12 to 13, I think he had to be playing through an injury). But as much as I like Wendell, he was dominated for far to much of last year's AFCC game. The Pats need an upgrade if that is the best Wendell can do. To a lesser extent, Connoly struggled at times last year and he is probably not worth what he is being paid if that is the best he can do.

But with the injury to Pouncy, the Dolphins center situation is a mess. At least to me, this could be a major advantage for Patriots for the first game of the season.

In my opinion, either Connoly or Wendell would be a significant upgrade for the Dolphin line right now. Also, I find it hard to believe another team is going to cut a center that is better than either one of them. IMO, either Wendell or Connoly could walk in off the street and start the next day for the Dolphins with a marked improvement for the Dophin line.

If you were making the decisions for the Pats would you try to keep these guys away from Miami for week one? Is the center situation in Miami a consideration in the decision at all, even if holding both is only for week one?

Unlike many I will be sad to see either one go. Although, I recognize it is likely that one will be gone barring a significant trading camp injury. As a fan I feel like both have given me all I can expect, which is 100% effort in on year round basis and the willingness to play quietly when banged up. (At leasrt to me, there is no way that Wendell regressed as much as it appeared from 12 to 13, I think he had to be playing through an injury). But as much as I like Wendell, he was dominated for far to much of last year's AFCC game. The Pats need an upgrade if that is the best Wendell can do. To a lesser extent, Connoly struggled at times last year and he is probably not worth what he is being paid if that is the best he can do.

But with the injury to Pouncy, the Dolphins center situation is a mess. At least to me, this could be a major advantage for Patriots for the first game of the season.

In my opinion, either Connoly or Wendell would be a significant upgrade for the Dolphin line right now. Also, I find it hard to believe another team is going to cut a center that is better than either one of them. IMO, either Wendell or Connoly could walk in off the street and start the next day for the Dolphins with a marked improvement for the Dophin line.

If you were making the decisions for the Pats would you try to keep these guys away from Miami for week one? Is the center situation in Miami a consideration in the decision at all, even if holding both is only for week one?
Well, they'll be able to carry an extra body, so to speak, for the first four games because Browner won't count against the 53 until his suspension is over. So perhaps they both make it until then and a decision is delayed on who goes, if any do.

If Stork's injury leads to more absences, we won't have much of a choice. A rookie isn't going to earn PT without a solid camp under his belt. I would've rather Stork won the job and we could've saved money by cutting Wendell, but it's not trending that way. I hope Connolly wins the C position and Wendell is on the bench. Connolly's play at C is better than Wendell's, and hopefully we have enough depth at G now so he can play at C.

As for the Dolphins - if Ryan Wendell at C for the Phins is the difference between us winning and losing against them, we got bigger problems. Pats have to worry about Pats roster, we can't worry about what the other guys do.

In my opinion Wendell was never really good. He was a weakness in 2012 in the passing game too. He is average at best. Often times well below average. If we released Wendell and he got picked up by the dolphins I think that we would have no problem with him with either Wilfork or Silliga at the 1-tech.

I think the problem is that if we keep them on roster for the first games their base salaries will be fully guaranteed for the season. So cutting Connolly after the first game wouldn't really be worth it if we still have to carry his full cap hit.

In my opinion it would be worth Connolly, even if he may go to the phins, because of the cap savings we get. We could save $2,5m by releasing him, which could help next year with a new contract for Dmac and Revis. That is if we have someone who is cheaper that can play near his level of play.

In my opinion Wendell was never really good. He was a weakness in 2012 in the passing game too. He is average at best. Often times well below average. If we released Wendell and he got picked up by the dolphins I think that we would have no problem with him with either Wilfork or Silliga at the 1-tech.

I think the problem is that if we keep them on roster for the first games their base salaries will be fully guaranteed for the season. So cutting Connolly after the first game wouldn't really be worth it if we still have to carry his full cap hit.
Yes, good point. Keeping them in that scenario would simply be to keep them away from the Fins.

If Vince Wilfork is healthy, I would love to see him vs. Wendell and the rest of that makeshift interior OL for the Dolphins Week 1. That would make what Bobby Brown used to do to Whitney Houston look like a game of paddy cake.

If Vince Wilfork is healthy, I would love to see him vs. Wendell and the rest of that makeshift interior OL for the Dolphins Week 1. That would make what Bobby Brown used to do to Whitney Houston look like a game of paddy cake.
Ray Rice might want to tune in, too.

As for the Dolphins - if Ryan Wendell at C for the Phins is the difference between us winning and losing against them, we got bigger problems. Pats have to worry about Pats roster, we can't worry about what the other guys do.

I understand your point and in the big picture you are probably right.

The Dolphins did beat the Patriots in Miami last year. That loss cost home field advantage in the playoffs.

This year the Pats have a 1 pm game in that heat. Game one is always a strange week as every team still thinks it can win the Superbowl and most teams starting rosters are OK. The differences between teams become more pronounced once injuries start as few teams have any depth. Right now Miami is working with a guy at center that has never played the position. They are already starting in a hole. No question BB makes mistakes as GM, but the current situation for the Dolphins O line is a joke. I do not see BB leaving the Pats with this type of problem. Also, while the Pats are a better team than Miami, in the NFL on any given week a lesser team can win. I think it will be tougher for Miami to do that when they have an inexperienced center calling the line plays. If the Pats get a two score lead early and Miami has to throw, I could see a 6+ sack game. In my opinion, for week 1 Miami is a better team with Wendell or Connolly and I think it is interesting since the Pats have control of that situation.

The cap hit issue with Connolly is also clearly a factor that I did not think about.

Last edited:
Yes, cold hearted green eyeshaded SOBs like Miguel even suggested cutting Connelly pre-camp so as to avoid having to pay his salary cap hit were he to get injured in training camp.

At least neither of them is subject to waivers at that point, if it comes to that. . . .

Stork returned today, for whatever it's worth. I saw someone bring that aspect up. (EDIT): This is not true. Stork did not return today, and I apologize for the error.

Belichick also went out of his way to speak of Wendell's "improvement" yesterday...again, for whatever it may be worth. I thought it was a bit interesting.

I think most of us would be happy with both, especially if Wendell is a 6th OL in a reserve role, although I initially expected one to be cut, and still believe there's a 40/60 chance at the moment. I'm starting to come around to the idea of keeping both, although I think that is dependent on how the rookies look.

Last edited:
Probably going to have wait until preseason games to evaluate Fleming, Halapio and Stork (if his injury is minor and he's back soon).

OL battle is going to be competitive and fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back