Asking for your support

Are the Pats cheap?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • It's the Krafts fault.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Ridiculous, the Pats are good at playing the NFL cap game.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Ray Lewis got away with murder.

Votes: 30 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
TN is paying Dion equal for what they are paying Michel, White and Burk combined this year.

Its not apples to apples is my point
Sure it is. Their contracts are set up so that both have potential outs in 2020 with Lewis’ dead cap hit only being $125,000 more than Burkhead’s. You’d still have Sony and White and the switch would be Lewis over Burkhead. The difference was merely $3M in guarantees. It’s the basic definition of an apples to apples comparison.

He got 57 yards on 20 carries ...
He should really just clam up ... he was a non factor.

Now that comment is a bit surprising. You feel overlooked, we get it Dion. But, you just went and called a group of men that you worked with side by side for years a bunch of *****es. Get a grip. How can he say that with a straight face while watching that team over the years overcome all of the obstacles they’ve overcome? I know the Pats don’t have that same tough as nails attitude that they did back in the day, but they are a resilient bunch.
Its just a classless, low blow by Dion. If he wants to rip BB I get that. No need to say his fmr teammates have no sack. Thats just crap.

Dion and James White play the same role in this offense. Wouldn't have made sense to keep them both. Burkhead is more of a short yardage back.
Except Dion’s presence on the field doesn’t key pass like it does with White or run like it does with Michel. Burkhead and White play basically the same role in the passing game and yet they kept IRex.

Sure it is. Their contracts are set up so that both have potential outs in 2020 with Lewis’ dead cap hit only being $125,000 more than Burkhead’s. You’d still have Sony and White and the switch would be Lewis over Burkhead. The difference was merely $3M in guarantees. It’s the basic definition of an apples to apples comparison.
The Patriots look at the positional spending collectively and expected contributions. Not just the player.

$3m more in guarantees is a ****load for the Rb position here.

The Patriots look at the positional spending collectively and expected contributions. Not just the player.

$3m more in guarantees is a ****load for the Rb position here.
No it isn’t. At all. Especially when you have a back that’s a dual threat who doesn’t automatically key pass or run before the snap when he’s on the field.

No it isn’t. At all. Especially when you have a back that’s a dual threat who doesn’t automatically key pass or run before the snap when he’s on the field.
You are keying on a specific player comparison.

I am talking in the aggregate.

You are keying on a specific player comparison.

I am talking in the aggregate.
And your argument fails because $3M in guarantees is nothing in the aggregate given what one player has offered and would offer and what the other player hasn’t offered. And that’s especially true when you consider how the cap has, and will continue to, increase.

And your argument fails because $3M in guarantees is nothing in the aggregate given what one player has offered and would offer and what the other player hasn’t offered. And that’s especially true when you consider how the cap has, and will continue to, increase.

It doesn't fail when you look at the aggregate.

Dion Lewis is being paid $19.8m for the next 4 years including $8.25m in guarantees. Good money for a producer.

Compare that to NE

Burkhead 3yr/9m $5.5m guaranteed
White 4yr/$12m $4.69m guaranteed

Now, when you add Michel in there...

Michel 4yr/$9.6m $8.3m guaranteed

Look- there is no question Dion >>>>> Burkhead but at the end of the day, its clear the Pats wanted to invest in youth and have the risk/production distributed among White and Burkhead (which has been a fail but I still think was sound judgement)

Last edited:
"That's what happens when you go cheap"?

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Dion - you play for a team with the 4th highest cap space in the league (over $25 Million). The Patriots only have $4.6 Million. Your team is the cheap one.

Look at it this way- he loved the Patriots, wanted to play there, but they wouldn’t match TNs offer....he feels like his former team didn’t value him, and wants to stick it to em’ when he plays them. I completely get it and find his reaction & elation totally normal. I’ll always love him& his cat-like quickness.

Judging from his production and his contract, seems they valued him correctly.

32nd in the league in rushing yards

Really hard to miss him. Nice reveal of character in times like these. Enjoy your 9-7 team losing in the wild card.

Judging from his production and his contract, seems they valued him correctly.
Right. I’m not saying he’s correct, just that I understand his all too human reaction.

Pats coaches misjudged Dion a couple of times.

Pats coaches misjudged Dion a couple of times.
Wow! The Pats tried everything to make Gilleslie the lead back but quickly gave up on him after the Kansas City debacle. But it’s hard to believe Dion was behind “Tap Out Rex” and James White in terms of carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back