PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

TBH: I was hoping we wouldn't draft him. I'd have preferred a Zach Collins + Mills/Mond/Trask draft..... BUT man..he looked good last year...hard to see anything wrong with his game except for his lack of a running game....and he showed better than expected metrics at his pro day....then he tops it off with saying his wish was to play here, that Cam was the man, and that he was only here to help out the team...

F...I am sold! I'll drink the damn Kool Aid and do this:

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Check out the first 8 picks of this mock by Josh Norris

Happy we got him without moving up.

We still have the rest of our draft capital to build around.

Do you guys think he starts day 1?
Cam wont go down w/o a fight. With a whole off-season to prepare and potentially a healthier shoulder, plus much better weapons, he should improve.
He cannt really get any worse than he was right?
Im still skeptical about the health of his shoulder. It might be toast. If it is, so is he.
But he could play well enough preseason to start the year. But I could see Jones taking over at some point in the season.

Just saw Mac's 18 minute press conference:
- Says him and Damien Harris are best friends.
- Says two times he secretly hoped to end up in New England and it happened.
- He spent time with Anfernee Jennings in the off season.
- He wants to be a good teammate with Cam and Stidham and work hard.

I don't know if he was just tired or thought he was going to SF, his eyes looked a little disappointed. I'm thrilled this kid landed here, this system is perfect for a quick throwing pocket passer.

Rosseau and Phillips in the division...ouch!

I refuse to believe the Jets will not ruin Wilson until they prove me wrong.
I’ve watched Zach Wilson a lot. He’s just too good. Even the Jets can’t ruin him. He was the 2nd most accurate QB in college football last year, behind the Patriot’s Mac Jones. Boy that feels good to say.

Mac broke the record for highest completion % ever in a college season at 77%. Wilson was at 73% I believe. He’s REALLY good.

I’m not the biggest Jones guy. But getting a QB and not having to give up draft capital is a huge win.

I’ve watched Zach Wilson a lot. He’s just too good. Even the Jets can’t ruin him. He was the 2nd most accurate QB in college football last year, behind the Patriot’s Mac Jones. Boy that feels good to say.

Mac broke the record for highest completion % ever in a college season at 77%. Wilson was at 73% I believe. He’s REALLY good.
The quality of opposition Jones delivered those numbers against was significantly better than what Wilson faced making it all the more impressive.

I’m not the biggest Jones guy. But getting a QB and not having to give up draft capital is a huge win.
And getting five years of a rookie contract rather than giving up draft capital and franchise QB money to land JG.

Seems everyone is happy.

SF shot their wad to get Lance who needs a year to develop, JG gets his chance to prove he's not injury prone or prove he is, we get to see if Mac can beat out Cam or if Mac lights a fire under Cam's ass, we can release Cam any time we want, no matter what JG is a free agent next year.

Not sure he was the guy I wanted, but i'm open to seeing how he pans out. Hope he works out!

I’m excited. Mac is not going to be a bust, or at least I highly doubt it. It’s just a matter how how good he can be. As we should know as well as any fan base you can be really ****ing good with smarts and determination in spite of relatively subpar athleticism.

He’s not as flashy and athletic as the other top tier QBs but he has his own strengths that the others don’t have. And it sure seems like he was the guy the Pats wanted. They wasted zero time in getting that pick in.

Reiss says NE was never going to do what the Bears did, give up a 1st round future pick to move up and grab a QB.

The more I think about it, the more fortunate we were to have Mac Jones fall to us.

We really could have bungled this if DEN picked a QB or if someone like WAS traded up.

I'm so much more excited about next season now that we have a rookie QB with high potential joining our team rather than some other position player.

Reiss is also not willing to commit to a timeline, but says obviously if he was picked in the top 15 he is expected to be a starter.

Rick Mirer was the 2nd QB drafted back in the day. Highly touted. That was an epic fail.

This dude is the 5th QB drafted?! And he is supposed to be good? WTF?

Should have drafted a linebacker or defensive end that can actually pressure the QB instead.

Does this guy even start week 1??

PS Division rival Miami and Conference rival Baltimore both got 2 picks this round. Who think Bill is still playing chess??!!

I’m excited. Mac is not going to be a bust, or at least I highly doubt it. It’s just a matter how how good he can be. As we should know as well as any fan base you can be really ****ing good with smarts and determination in spite of relatively subpar athleticism.

He’s not as flashy and athletic as the other top tier QBs but he has his own strengths that the others don’t have. And it sure seems like he was the guy the Pats wanted. They wasted zero time in getting that pick in.

And for 5 years he'll be making a fraction of what other starting NFL QB's will make. As long as he doesn't completely flame out, this should be a major win for us.

In case you missed ESPN's coverage of the Mac Jones pick:

Rick Mirer was the 2nd QB drafted back in the day. Highly touted. That was an epic fail.

This dude is the 5th QB drafted?! And he is supposed to be good? WTF?

Should have drafted a linebacker or defensive end that can actually pressure the QB instead.

Does this guy even start week 1??

PS Division rival Miami and Conference rival Baltimore both got 2 picks this round. Who think Bill is still playing chess??!!

He's the most pro ready quarterback in the draft. He may not have the upside some of the others do, but he's a clear step up from anyone on the roster currently, and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back