PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

Rick Mirer was the 2nd QB drafted back in the day. Highly touted. That was an epic fail.

This dude is the 5th QB drafted?! And he is supposed to be good? WTF?

Should have drafted a linebacker or defensive end that can actually pressure the QB instead.

Does this guy even start week 1??

PS Division rival Miami and Conference rival Baltimore both got 2 picks this round. Who think Bill is still playing chess??!!
So...since Brady was drafted 199th, he should never have been allowed to play at all. I can see why you're in Denver.

This guy is a statue in the pocket.

The Bills are gonna kill him
He moves around the pocket pretty much exactly the way Brady does. If he's such a statue, playing against the iron in college, why didn't THEY kill him?

what did the Bears gave up in the trade with the Giants?

Rick Mirer was the 2nd QB drafted back in the day. Highly touted. That was an epic fail.

Should have drafted a linebacker or defensive end that can actually pressure the QB instead.

PS Division rival Miami and Conference rival Baltimore both got 2 picks this round. Who think Bill is still playing chess??!!
Firstly, this draft is much different than the 1993 draft. There was talk that the top 5 from THIS draft might go in the top 10 picks. Turns out 5 went in the top 15 picks. Very rare. Secondly, Our free agency signings also pointed towards drafting a QB high. Every position was covered, except our future franchise QB. That has now been addressed.

This is not an easy night for Stidham. He did nice job of organizing that mini-camp. So my thoughts go to the kid.

It will be interesting though how the addition of Mac and sharing the field in preseason will affect Cam - watching his quick releases, no hesitation, anticipation. Could be a good influence to keep up :)

Huh? What does Rick Mirer being the 2nd QB drafted in his class have to do with anything? Who cares that Mac Jones was the 5th QB taken? What does that have to do with anything?

Dan Marino was the 6th QB taken in 1983
Rich Gannon was the 7th QB taken in 1987
Matt Hasselbeck was the 7th QB taken in 1998
Tom Brady was the 7th QB taken in 2000
Russell Wilson was the 6th QB taken in 2012
Dak Prescott was the 8th QB taken in 2016
Lamar Jackson was the 5th QB taken in 2018

Mac Jones being the 5th QB taken doesn’t mean he can’t play better than the QB’s taken before him. The Patriots now have a QB who can throw a forward pass, and do it with accuracy, and do it for less than it would cost to acquire and pay Jimmy Garoppolo (who I wouldn’t have minded having back under the right conditions).

This is a shallow draft class for pass rushers. I would’ve liked Jaelan Phillips as a roll of the dice had Jones not been there at 15, but the fact of the matter is QB is the most pressing concern, and Bill Belichick addressed it without having to give up extra assets to do it. My preference was Justin Fields, but I can’t be mad when Jones is arguably the best fit for this offense of any of the possibilities.

Yes, he has a chance to start Week 1. And good for Miami and Baltimore having two first round picks. Not sure what that has to do with Belichick and chess. If you’re suggesting he should’ve traded down and tried to get an extra first, then I’d like to know what your solution would be at QB.

The quality of opposition Jones delivered those numbers against was significantly better than what Wilson faced making it all the more impressive.
Once again, I’ll say this again, I love Mac Jones, I was one of his biggest supporters during the whole draft progress. I was actually thinking when SF came up that I’d be sad the Niners were gonna take him, but happy for him.

But I’m gonna say for Wilson like I’ve been saying all along for Jones while supporting him. You still have to make the throws. The fact Jones did it vs better competition makes it incredibly impressive, but it doesn’t detract from the fact that Wilson still had to make great throws. And he did. Some of the throws I saw Wilson make were unbelievable. We can mock/hate the Jets all we want, but Wilson is the real deal.

Well, that didn't take long...

Of course, if BB had Mac Jones fall into his lap and decided to stick with Cam and Stid instead, douche-bag Felger would be all over that like a cheap suit.

He would’ve said that too if they traded up for Fields. If they traded for Garoppolo he would’ve said BB is desperate to prove himself right and feed his own ego. If they passed on Jones entirely he would’ve said they blew their opportunity. Felger’s only goal is to say things that will rile people up. Nothing he or that clown Mazz says is worth the attention they’re seeking.

I'm just relieved we picked a QB and i like Mac jones so all good. Would also have been happy with Fields but we would have had to give up more than Chicago to trade up just a few spots so it was never going to happen if the Bears were interested.
Given we have often ignored obvious needs before in the draft to take the best player regardless of position does this reflect the change in philosophy that Kraft was talking about?

I like not love him. Imo, he won't play this year and I am fine with that. He will learn and his presence will hopefully improve the team. Brady played better once we got Jimmy and I hope the same happens to Cam now. Mac/Trask is the qb I wanted once Trey was no longer an option. There is something about Fields that I can't put my finger on that feels he will bust. If we can avoid drafting a division 3 safety before the 4th round, this draft might be great.

Less than 4 months ago, Mac Jones leads Alabama to 52-24 win over Ohio St Buckeyes and Justin Fields.

Mac Jones 36/45 464 passing yards 5 TDs 0 INT
Justin Fields 17/33 194 passing yards 1TD 0 INT

Mac Jones doesn't get intimidated on the biggest stage, he brought his A game.
BB and the Patriots got exactly the QB that they wanted.
Let's get EXCITED!! :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mac Jones will be the second best QB in this draft. I will come back to this thread if i am right or wrong. This kid makes the right decisions in the pocket. He doesn’t get flustered.

Less than 4 months ago, Mac Jones leads Alabama to 45-24 win over Ohio St Buckeyes and Justin Fields.

Mac Jones 36/45 464 passing yards 5 TDs 0 INT
Justin Fields 17/33 194 passing yards 1TD 0 INT

Mac Jones doesn't get intimidated on the biggest stage, he brought his A game.
BB and the Patriots got exactly the QB that they wanted.
Let's get EXCITED!! :cool::thumbsup:

I think a lot people are saying well he had a bunch of talent. So did burrow when he was in LSU. I am really high on him. I hope we see him the second half of the year. Cam Newton is not the future of this team.

This guy is a statue in the pocket.

The Bills are gonna kill him
That is straight up untrue.

Either you haven't watched him or you're simply lashing out because you wanted someone else. He has excellent pocket presence and moves around in the pocket very like Tom Brady.

As an aside, the media narrative that he's unathletic and immobile is completely false and purely based on his body type. He ran a 4.7 40 time, which is faster than Mahomes and Rodgers, both of whom are lauded for their athleticism. Just because he didn't have to scramble very often doesn't mean he can't.

In order for some QBs to succeed you need to put some talent around them. Look at Mahomes.

That response doesn't answer the questions. I agree with you BTW for the most part. The GOAT should require less talent around him.

Yeah... I remember when they called Tribusky "pro ready" too...
That nitwit at best has only seen Jones on TV a few times, but declarers that he is "Pro Ready"

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back