PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

Just to this point. Yeah, those are the guys now.... but how many of them will be here in 2022? Slater will be retired, maybe HT and DMac too and if not, BB could just decide they’re not worth the money anymore. The only guys who are “locks” to be here in 2022 are Andrews and Mason. There might only be a handful of guys on that 2022 team who won a ring with the Pats - those two, Guy, Jon Jones and Wise are the only guys under contract currently.

Reading Patriots Reign, that 2001 team was totally Drew Bledsoe’s. But the veterans were amazed at the leadership Brady brought when he got his opportunity, and bought in pretty quickly. I think that’s what the team is hoping for from Mac.
It's encouraging to look at this loaded team with no positional weakness going into 2021, assuming that the top three picks in this draft contribute. I'm so relieved to see Belichick take guys from big programs who have played top competition and have the physical tools to play in the NFL. This defense looks like a top three NFL defense to me, especially with Hightower, Van Noye and Matt Patricia back in the picture to contribute to the more aggressive schemes from 2020.

The offense has proven players at every position except QB, and the QB room looks a helluva lot better today than it did on Wednesday.

2022 will be a transition year as far as the older guys go. By then, we'll have the two tight ends as Patriots veterans, Damien Harris in his third year, Bentley, Jenkins and possibly Van Noye as leaders on the defense, and players like JC Jackson and Dugger becoming leaders in the secondary.

Gilmore is the most interesting player on the Patriots to me. I think the Patriots should pay him if the cap space allows, particularly while the QB is on his rookie deal. He can become the anchor in the secondary, particularly as his job just got easier with the additions to the front seven. Your point about McCourty is so important here. Gilmore and Belichick will have a big choice to make together a year from now.

(2) 3 minutes of Cam Newton being trash || Cam Newton 2020 lowlights - YouTube

I would be very surprised if Mac isnt playing in the middle of next season. You can Say it was due to covid or injuries but the man has alot of tread on the tires, he was drafted 10 years ago.
It's going to be interesting to watch. Cam will have a full off season with the playbook and time for his injuries to heal, is still in amazing shape, still a competitor, still a leader. Mac will have a lot of ground to cover in a short period of time to blow past a full grown man. I think the coaching staff will want to give Mac the time, and want to see how far the team can improve from 7-9 with Cam on the field. The risk is throwing Mac to the wolves before he is ready and getting him injured, physically or mentally. I know, he's a tough kid from a major program, but if you throw him out there without him being far enough up the learning curve, it could go the wrong way.

I'm thrilled with getting Mac, I think he has everything you want in a pocket QB field general. But the learning curve is steep for a rookie QB, even Peyton threw a ton of picks as a rookie. I am hopeful Mac can pick it up fast but it's basically hard for any rookie QB to be good enough to lead a team to playoffs or more.

It's encouraging to look at this loaded team with no positional weakness going into 2021, assuming that the top three picks in this draft contribute. I'm so relieved to see Belichick take guys from big programs who have played top competition and have the physical tools to play in the NFL. This defense looks like a top three NFL defense to me, especially with Hightower, Van Noye and Matt Patricia back in the picture to contribute to the more aggressive schemes from 2020.

The offense has proven players at every position except QB, and the QB room looks a helluva lot better today than it did on Wednesday.

2022 will be a transition year as far as the older guys go. By then, we'll have the two tight ends as Patriots veterans, Damien Harris in his third year, Bentley, Jenkins and possibly Van Noye as leaders on the defense, and players like JC Jackson and Dugger becoming leaders in the secondary.

Gilmore is the most interesting player on the Patriots to me. I think the Patriots should pay him if the cap space allows, particularly while the QB is on his rookie deal. He can become the anchor in the secondary, particularly as his job just got easier with the additions to the front seven. Your point about McCourty is so important here. Gilmore and Belichick will have a big choice to make together a year from now.

I hope you’re right, but this all best case scenario stuff. Loaded? No positional weakness? This team has so many question marks with free agents coming in and not knowing how they’ll mesh. Also, just because they pay a lot of money to some of these skill players doesn’t mean they’re great. Henry and Smith are not great players but at least are solid starters. Algohor might have had a breakout season to establish himself as a 1A or 2 receiver but maybe not. These guys are better than some of the scrubs they’ve out there but this is far from a loaded offense.

On defense, it’s enough for an entire post, but I think it’s a big stretch to expect a top 3 unit. And Matt Patricia does the opposite of making it an aggressive scheme; let’s hope he stays far away from the gameplanning since Flores showed us how Patricia’s passive schemes were not ideal.

On paper this Patriots team IS loaded. I expect nothing less than 10-6 based on talent alone.

As for Mac Jones. I'm super optimistic about the kid but I prefer for him to sit his first year unless A) Cam Newton gets hurt B) Cam Newton stinks it up through the first 6 weeks. People seem to forget that Patrick "Walks on Water" Mahomes sat out 15/16 games his rookie year.

I understand that as fans we are fired up to see what Mac Jones can do. But give him time to learn, grow, and hold the clipboard first. You don't want to ruin a good young player because of impatience. That's what the BAD franchises do. *Looks at Jags and Jets*

On paper this Patriots team IS loaded. I expect nothing less than 10-6 based on talent alone.

As for Mac Jones. I'm super optimistic about the kid but I prefer for him to sit his first year unless A) Cam Newton gets hurt B) Cam Newton stinks it up through the first 6 weeks. People seem to forget that Patrick "Walks on Water" Mahomes sat out 15/16 games his rookie year.

I understand that as fans we are fired up to see what Mac Jones can do. But give him time to learn, grow, and hold the clipboard first. You don't want to ruin a good young player because of impatience. That's what the BAD franchises do. *Looks at Jags and Jets*

Agree. Don't rush him. Also rookie QBs have too much to learn it's unlikely he'll be what we need to contend for a ring. But imagine Cam is benched in a blowout in say week 5 and Mac comes in and rallies the team for a comeback. Oh boy....

im hearing all this nonsense about him not having a strong arm

Jones will need to prove he has grasped the offense and gives the team a better chance to win than the starter for bb to make an in season change!

but keep in mind jones is always one or two injuries away from starting!

Jones will need to prove he has grasped the offense and gives the team a better chance to win than the starter for bb to make an in season change!

but keep in mind jones is always one or two injuries away from starting!
I agree, but the system Mac played in in college is very similar, he loves watching film and supposedly has a photographic memory. I think there’s a very good chance he could be the best QB by the end of training camp.

Just a reminder of something we've all got to get used to:

It's now a 17 game season.

I agree, but the system Mac played in in college is very similar, he loves watching film and supposedly has a photographic memory. I think there’s a very good chance he could be the best QB by the end of training camp.

i did not think the sarkesian offense was all that similar to ours?

i did not think the sarkesian offense was all that similar to ours?
That’s what a bunch of pundits were saying. That a lot of it was learning terminology. But we’ll see.

That’s what a bunch of pundits were saying. That a lot of it was learning terminology. But we’ll see.

i am excited to see how it plays out.

newton has no excuses this year, but bb is infatuated with the guy.

im hearing all this nonsense about him not having a strong arm

It tore off easily after teams pulled on it during private workouts. It’s a weak arm. Could cause problems.

It tore off easily after teams pulled on it during private workouts. It’s a weak arm. Could cause problems.

I mean he doesn't have a cannon arm like Elway or Favre, but it looks plenty strong to me. At least as strong as our ex-QB's arm..

All Good

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back