PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 5: Other NFL games

"Indeed, no study has revealed a positive significant correlation between Wonderlic results and future performance. Per Alex Dunlap of The Austin Chronicle, a 2009 study authored by Dr. Brian Hoffman and Brian D. Lyons in collaboration with California State University (Fresno) and Towson University resulted in two clear conclusions:

1) NFL performance on the football field was only found to have a statistically significant correlation with Wonderlic scores among two positions: Tight end and defensive back. Correlations were statistically negligible across all other positions. (Yes, even QB.) In other words, with the exception of TEs and DBs, a player’s Wonderlic score (high or low) gave no predictable projection for their eventual productivity as an NFL player. It was worthless."

I read it, but you haven't proved where the correlation is between scores and actual performance. It doesn't exist.

I‘m saying a low score is a handicap…not that anything beyond that correlates. There are some exceptions of guys who succeeded, but all in all it’s usually damning to score really low on a test that measures quick reasoning and logic.

It’s like the bench press at a combine. If you can bench a reasonable amount, great..that's probably enough. A body builder isn’t going to do anything for you. Being the strongest at lifting doesn’t tramslate to football skills. But if an offensive lineman can’t bench press 150 lbs, there maybe some major problem/defect. Similarly, if a guy scores a 13 on the Wonderlic, there may be some major problem with his processing skills.

No, I don’t have a correlation because I haven’t attempted it with the data. I just know it’s rare to see a really low Wonderlic guy as a franchise QB.

"Indeed, no study has revealed a positive significant correlation between Wonderlic results and future performance. Per Alex Dunlap of The Austin Chronicle, a 2009 study authored by Dr. Brian Hoffman and Brian D. Lyons in collaboration with California State University (Fresno) and Towson University resulted in two clear conclusions:

1) NFL performance on the football field was only found to have a statistically significant correlation with Wonderlic scores among two positions: Tight end and defensive back. Correlations were statistically negligible across all other positions. (Yes, even QB.) In other words, with the exception of TEs and DBs, a player’s Wonderlic score (high or low) gave no predictable projection for their eventual productivity as an NFL player. It was worthless."

I don’t think this will be a conclusive debate, but FYI there are other views on this.

I‘m saying a low score is a handicap…not that anything beyond that correlates. There are some exceptions of guys who succeeded, but all in all it’s usually damning to score really low on a test that measures quick reasoning and logic.

It’s like the bench press at a combine. If you can bench a reasonable amount, great..that's probably enough. A body builder isn’t going to do anything for you. Being the strongest at lifting doesn’t tramslate to football skills. But if an offensive lineman can’t bench press 150 lbs, there maybe some major problem/defect. Similarly, if a guy scores a 13 on the Wonderlic, there may be some major problem with his processing skills.

No, I don’t have a correlation because I haven’t attempted it with the data. I just know it’s rare to see a really low Wonderlic guy as a franchise QB.
Then there's this about Tua.

"On Friday, word leaked that Tua Tagovailoa’s score was just 13 out of 50 for the lowest among quarterbacks at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis shortly after the Super Bowl. The trouble is that the report was wrong; Tagovailoa’s score of 13 was from a test he took in 2018, and the Alabama star really recorded a 19 this winter."

I'd take Lamar now. He's not going to fit any balls into tight windows or throw receivers open but he can still throw it and he's so dynamic. He was ridiculous last night. You know who else can't throw into tight windows? Patrick Mahomes. It doesn't seem to matter though cause he can do so many other things.

As far as QBR, Allen isn't even in the top 5.

And like I said, Mac Jones is blowing Allen out of the water if you compare their rookie stats. Of course this requires a little projecting, but the way things are going now, Jones is ahead.
You know that’s not how things work right? Human beings do not always progress like a linear robot from A to Z. Just because Mac looks more ready than Allen did initially really means absolutely nothing when you’re talking about where they’ll end up. Mac doesn’t have a fraction of the talent Allen has, so by simple facts, he will never be able to do the things Allen does. Maybe he’ll be good in an Andy Dalton type of way, but to compare Mac to players like Allen, Murray, Mahomes, etc is a little crazy because one is not like the other.

You know that’s not how things work right? Human beings do not always progress like a linear robot from A to Z. Just because Mac looks more ready than Allen did initially really means absolutely nothing when you’re talking about where they’ll end up. Mac doesn’t have a fraction of the talent Allen has, so by simple facts, he will never be able to do the things Allen does. Maybe he’ll be good in an Andy Dalton type of way, but to compare Mac to players like Allen, Murray, Mahomes, etc is a little crazy because one is not like the other.
Everyone knew that Allen was raw. Everyone knew that Jones was polished.

But this is Patsfans.com. Here, we have people who start threads that tell us that Jones is ahead of guys like Brady and Manning, so Josh Allen getting the same treatment should come as no surprise. If this was a Jets board, you'd be reading about how just hiring John Beck would fix Zach Wilson.

Fixing Zach Wilson is simple

That's just what some fans do on message boards.

Kindly note that I am not comparing Mac to the current Allen, I am only comparing their rookie stats.

Hey Allentown Boy...you must have just stopped saucking your thumb and never got to understand YOUR determined fate in life...let me help you out, little boy...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back