PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We signed Clayborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me ask unpopular question. Is this guy an upgrade ? Is he any better than Lee or Wise ? He has been in the league for 7 years, so he probably already hit his ceiling ?

Let me ask unpopular question. Is this guy an upgrade ? Is he any better than Lee or Wise ? He has been in the league for 7 years, so he probably already hit his ceiling ?
Yes, he is better than Wise and Lee. I'm not looking for potential, just a continuation of his past performance. If Wise or Lee beats him out for reps, that's fine.

Better than Lee ? Are you serious ? Lee is not even a JAG..

Better than Lee ? Are you serious ? Lee is not even a JAG..

Lee was a 2016 UDFA (Texans) playing the first 281 defensive snaps of his career (basically, 1/3rd of a season). He had 19 total tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 PD, 1 INT and a Safety.

If he'd been a rookie UDFA signed by the Pats producing like that, I'd guess a lot of folks would feel much more positive about him.

Meanwhile, his 2018 cap hit is a whopping $570k, and he's an ERFA in 2019.

I'd like to see how he might develop over a full off-season and Camp with the Pats.

Lee was a 2016 UDFA (Texans) playing the first 281 defensive snaps of his career (basically, 1/3rd of a season). He had 19 total tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 PD, 1 INT and a Safety.

If he'd been a rookie UDFA signed by the Pats producing like that, I'd guess a lot of folks would feel much more positive about him.

Meanwhile, his 2018 cap hit is a whopping $570k, and he's an ERFA in 2019.

I'd like to see how he might develop over a full off-season and Camp with the Pats.

Yes you are right that we have to keep perspective about it all. That being said after a fast start he soon showed that he really is not (yet) a NFL level player. I might have gone a bit overboard but comparing Clayborn to him is just not fair.

Last edited:
Yes you are right that we have to keep perspective about it all. That being said after a fast start he soon showed that he really is not (yet) a NFL level player. I might have gone a bit overboard but comparing Clayborn to him is just not a fair comparison.

The fact that Lee even contributed as much as he did was a nice surprise for an emergency signing from different system PS (BUF), TC (HOU). He had a solid TC in HOU where BB&co had a good first hand look. He looks like a solid athlete and versatile young player that they can be satisfied to bring to their camp. Bc of emergency, they couldn't really put him in best position for him to be the best he can in NE system (despite early splash). Now they have a chance to coach him and play him to his strengths and system fit (which is more off-line OLB in 3-4 or on-line OLB in 3-3 IMHO). He'll have enough competition though (w KVN, HT both options at 3-3 OLB): Rivers, McClellin, Langi, FA vet (f.e. M.Flowers/Casillas), OLB drafted..

The fact that Lee even contributed as much as he did was a nice surprise for an emergency signing from different system PS (BUF), TC (HOU). He had a solid TC in HOU where BB&co had a good first hand look. He looks like a solid athlete and versatile young player that they can be satisfied to bring to their camp. Bc of emergency, they couldn't really put him in best position for him to be the best he can in NE system (despite early splash). Now they have a chance to coach him and play him to his strengths and system fit (which is more off-line OLB in 3-4 or on-line OLB in 3-3 IMHO). He'll have enough competition though (w KVN, HT both options at 3-3 OLB): Rivers, McClellin, Langi, FA vet (f.e. M.Flowers/Casillas), OLB drafted..

I get that but at some point you have to stop grading someone at a curve and just look at the entire state of affairs and say "he might need some time, we need to invest resources into a quicker solution".

Lee might turn into a valuable niche piece over time and grow into another Ninkovich over the years. Or he might just turn into another Justin Francis and will be forgotten by most people.

I get that but at some point you have to stop grading someone at a curve and just look at the entire state of affairs and say "he might need some time, we need to invest resources into a quicker solution".

Lee might turn into a valuable niche piece over time and grow into another Ninkovich over the years. Or he might just turn into another Justin Francis and will be forgotten by most people.

Lee is a young prospect that has shown some promise. He is fine as our last defensive lineman. There is always room for an inexpensive, developmental that has shown that he can play a bit.

Like expected . the details make this deal even better for NE. If I read this correctly its a 2y/10M deal with 4M cap hit in 2018 (like projected earlier in the thread;)).

DE Adrian Clayborn's two-year contract with the Patriots is worth a base value of $10 million. He gets a $4 million signing bonus and has a $1.5 million base salary in 2018, and a $3.5 million base salary in 2019. In each year, Clayborn can earn $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back