PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We signed Clayborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear Clayborn is overrated (not sure how true...).

He's a pass rusher who doesn't really get to the QB, but I don't think anyone is expecting much from him, so I'm not sure overrated is really accurate. Overpaid might fit, but we'll need to see the details before we can really know that.

He's a pass rusher who doesn't really get to the QB, but I don't think anyone is expecting much from him, so I'm not sure overrated is really accurate. Overpaid might fit, but we'll need to see the details before we can really know that.
But you know as well as I what most are expecting, Deus. Lol! Ain't gonna be that!

Id say Philly took that lesson from Pats the years before. There's only so much insurance you can buy:
Ninko - unexpectedly retires
Ealy (trade) - doesn't fit in
Rivers (top draft pick) - injured
Hightower - injured
McClellin - injured
Langi - traffic accident
Marsh (last minute trade) - doesn't fit in

Besides Flowers they were on their options #6,7,8.. by mid season
I think the Pats signed Clayborn as insurance if we end up playing the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Ha anyone heard about the structure of the contract. 2 years $12M is reported.

They still need linebackers. And depth.

Yes, we need linebackers, probably through the draft.

However, to be clear, we almost always have only 2 on the field: Hightower and Van Noy.

In the past, the 3rd "starting LB", the designated run linebacker, was often someone who comes off the Practice Squad that week. Roberts is now that player.

We'll add 2-3. We might get some help from
Rivers
Langi, or
McClellan

Where did you hear that?

I was OK with the signing when they thought it would take $8MM/yr. At $6MM its even better.

When people were discussing the prospect of him signing here I think there is an important distinction that has to be made when discussing Claybourne. Despite the 10 sacks last year, he isn't a consistent sack guy, but what he seems to be, is a consistent PRESSURE guy. Based on some of the stats that were offered, Claybourne "pressured" the QB slightly better than TFlowers (IRRC).

Bill has always valued Pressures as much as sacks, so what we are getting is someone who can pressure the QB and is big enough to set the edge and provide some beef to the DE position when we are in a 4-3.

Also, I don't see this as meaning the end of MFlowers. MFLowers is more of a OLB than DE, and I see the Pats playing a bit more 3-4 this season, so an OLB with Flowers speed and length would be a real asset....at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots