PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

wait i'm confused, are we happy with the D's play tonight or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzafted

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Obviously they played well enough to win, but I bet the stat line is going to show 400 plus yards for Pitt. Reminds me a little of the Cincinatti game.

They're young obviously but this team is strange. I felt like the Defense controlled the important moments in the game, the pass rush and run D in particular were great. But they gave up huge chunks of yardage in the air, again. (wonder what the 3rd down stats were) I keep wondering when they're going to put together a whole 60 minutes.

Ha okay so if you had told me that the pats would go 3-1 against the AFC North, and that the 1 was Cleveland I would have called you nuts.

Last edited:
Of course we are happy with the D. The stats all came in garbage time and the 4th quarter. In reality the Pats dominated the Steelers and for once were aggressive with the play calling and blitzed a lot and got pressure on the QB. I really hope the Pats do more of this here on out

Happy? Yes. The Pats won the game and the D was a big part of that. BB will have to get across to the D that against Indy, you can't give up those 4th Quarter points. They will kill you.

If you're not happy with the D tonight you don't have a freakin' clue. The zebras did their damdest to give the Steelers every last shot at pulling something out of Ben's ass...or at least making it close or padding their stats. Still wasn't enough...

Oh, and hopefully there is still a mod awake to merge this thread into the post game thoughts or dump it in the practice squad...

Obviously they played well enough to win, but I bet the stat line is going to show 400 plus yards for Pitt. Reminds me a little of the Cincinatti game.

They're young obviously but this team is strange. I felt like the Defense controlled the important moments in the game, the pass rush and run D in particular were great. But they gave up huge chunks of yardage in the air, again. (wonder what the 3rd down stats were) I keep wondering when they're going to put together a whole 60 minutes.

Ha okay so if you had told me that the pats would go 3-1 against the AFC North, and that the 1 was Cleveland I would have called you nuts.
The defense was EXCELLENT. This game is a perfect example of why stats lie.
If you really care that we gave up yards in prevent defense, and think it means anything I dont know what to tell you.

Big Ben had like 100 yards passing on those last few drives. and we had what, 5-6 sacks and the clutch INT. Good job.

Chung was cramping up a lot by the 4th ... perhaps that's part of it. But i got the sense the patriots were not worried to much either.

Anybody not happy needs a reality check. Ben is one of the toughest QB's to defend and the run D totally shut down Mendenhall aside from one run which would should have been brought up.

I could care less what they look like in garbage time. They gave up 10 points until the game got out of reach.

Happy? Yes. The Pats won the game and the D was a big part of that. BB will have to get across to the D that against Indy, you can't give up those 4th Quarter points. They will kill you.

Indy's coming to our house so they won't get the home field officiating discount. They also won't have the Steelers defense playing for them...

Last edited:

I have to give this a Big One Star, thats what it deserves.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be happy with the defense's play tonight.

When a team gets down early and stays down they are going to be throwing the ball all game which will lead to the inflated yardage numbers.

Should we be happy? I don't know maybe the fact that it was hands down our best defensive performance this season should lead you to a conclusion.

Very happy. Like, awkward-boner-happy.

whoa rough crowd.

not every team out there gives up 350 yards in the air even in the prevent defense. i remember a large number of games in 2007 when the Patriots D spent a lot of time up by 2 TDs and still held teams under 20. individual defensive players looked great and the first half was stellar, but the fact is they gave up 23 points in the 2nd half and couldn't get off the field.

i'm not being negative after a great win i'm just not sure i liked some of what i saw out of the secondary, again. its fine when the offense is clicking and putting up points, but i want to see the defensive backfield sharpen up before the playoffs.

We have some really great fans.:bricks:

whoa rough crowd.

not every team out there gives up 350 yards in the air even in the prevent defense. i remember a large number of games in 2007 when the Patriots D spent a lot of time up by 2 TDs and still held teams under 20. individual defensive players looked great and the first half was stellar, but the fact is they gave up 23 points in the 2nd half and couldn't get off the field.

i'm not being negative after a great win i'm just not sure i liked some of what i saw out of the secondary, again. its fine when the offense is clicking and putting up points, but i want to see the defensive backfield sharpen up before the playoffs.
OK listen up.
The defenses job was to make sure the Steelers didnt get back in the game. If the Steelers want to burn clock with short passes, and run an offnese that if its 100% effective it still results in a loss, we will let them do it.
We play to win the game, not to keep the stats down.

oooooookay bad timing i guess.

great win never mind. flowers and sparkledust, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST