PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video Analysis: Achilles Heel of Patriots Defensive Coverage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score

This was interesting. See timestamps from minute 15:00-20:00. This guy found a flaw in the Pats D that partly explains how our defense seems to keep letting us down in key moments and key games.

He goes into how our corners always play outside leverage but leaves us very vulnerable to inside routes, or safety mistakes on things like double moves.

I haven't checked but wouldn't be surprised if our defensive rankings went way down the last 6 weeks of the season.

I'm going to watch this now on my break but this is from last night.

"Yea I'm speaking & maybe should have be clearer abt our secondary.

Again I'd keep our front aggressive but we've gone all out at times jumping/cutting routes. Also some tendencies have been figured out. Biting on fakes/doubles (JJ), giving up inside leverage/inside routes (Gilly), too aggressive off comebacks (Jackson), TE's have been a problem. Good teams have found a way to exploit certain parts of our defense. I think we need to switch up a few things. Tinker not an overhaul. And show some different looks on Sat. Again I'll try to post some clips tomorrow if someone else doesn't. I'm too tired have to wake up at 5am".

I also mentioned either yesterday or the day before that we definitely have to stay disciplined in the back end bc we're going to see a lot of PA, rollouts etc that would try to get us to take the bait in the 2nd/3rd level. Definitely going to see mesh/inside routes. They love crossers off PA. They didn't get rolling until around the middle of the year but now their run game is really on point. The OL/Henry look very much in sync, playing well off each other. We'll see a lot of OZ/Zone lead. If you're a LB the last thing you wanna do is be hesitant. Head on you might have an extra half second but off tackle/OZ you wanna get to your spot. So the mof crossers really play well off those designs. Pats love playing mofc (middle of the field closed) funneling **** inside off playing with outside leverage.
I know we played a decent amount of 2 high throughout the year so I wouldn't be shocked to see us use something like that a lil more to make sure it's not a foot race if someone breaks free. We'd have another player, presumably a S around to try to clamp down on that.

Actually watched the video bc it took me an hour to write bc I'm running around at work. Very good stuff. @gitgronked82 someone a lot smarter is touching on a lot of the same points I mentioned.

Can't wait to see Gilmore/Brown. Both guys are very physical at the line. Other day mentioned how Brown will use swipes & chop down his mans hands. Gilmore loves getting his hands on people early. Even if it doesn't look like much it always slows progress down. You hit someones hands & its natural to stop & reset.
Both are alpha type players on the field & two of the more physical players at their positions. Should be really fun to watch.
This game has the makings of a tough, physical battle on both sides. Both OL will look to make a point running the ball imo. Tennessee for sure. They'll run some tricky ****. Extra OL as a target. They have 2 TDs by OL'm this year I think? Again I mentioned MM8 & Tanny on the field at the same time last week. No surprise a week before the playoffs.

Opponent WRs have been open all season, but when an accurate QB like a Jackson, Mahomes or Watson on a good day puts the ball on its intended target you see what happens.

I'm going to watch this now on my break but this is from last night.

"Yea I'm speaking & maybe should have be clearer abt our secondary.

Again I'd keep our front aggressive but we've gone all out at times jumping/cutting routes. Also some tendencies have been figured out. Biting on fakes/doubles (JJ), giving up inside leverage/inside routes (Gilly), too aggressive off comebacks (Jackson), TE's have been a problem. Good teams have found a way to exploit certain parts of our defense. I think we need to switch up a few things. Tinker not an overhaul. And show some different looks on Sat. Again I'll try to post some clips tomorrow if someone else doesn't. I'm too tired have to wake up at 5am".

I also mentioned either yesterday or the day before that we definitely have to stay disciplined in the back end bc we're going to see a lot of PA, rollouts etc that would try to get us to take the bait in the 2nd/3rd level. Definitely going to see mesh/inside routes. They love crossers off PA. They didn't get rolling until around the middle of the year but now their run game is really on point. The OL/Henry look very much in sync, playing well off each other. We'll see a lot of OZ/Zone lead. If you're a LB the last thing you wanna do is be hesitant. Head on you might have an extra half second but off tackle/OZ you wanna get to your spot. So the mof crossers really play well off those designs. Pats love playing mofc (middle of the field closed) funneling **** inside off playing with outside leverage.
I know we played a decent amount of 2 high throughout the year so I wouldn't be shocked to see us use something like that a lil more to make sure it's not a foot race if someone breaks free. We'd have another player, presumably a S around to try to clamp down on that.

Actually watched the video bc it took me an hour to write bc I'm running around at work. Very good stuff. @gitgronked82 someone a lot smarter is touching on a lot of the same points I mentioned.

Good points. Hopefully they don't get exposed by Vrabel and the Titans this week.

Seeing Gilmore not within 5 yards of Parker on almost every catch was infuriating. Especially on a 3rd down when we sent almost everyone after the QB.

Apparently video coverage is the Achilles Heel of the Patriots, period.

BB is supposed to be great at halftime adjustments. Apparently, Flores also knows how to adjust, especially if he knows the defensive playbook. Now BB faces another ex-Pat, albeit one who has been away for several years. The same old playbook will not get it done. Can BB make the changes needed to stay one jump ahead of Vrabel? This season's playoff run depends on it.

If you have about 20min to kill check it out he goes pretty in depth through some of the tendencies in our coverages with a focus on Gilmore. Even though he made the video before the Miami game (it was posted after) he really explains well why the Dolphins had so much success inside in an extremely accessible way.

The one comment I want to make is that this is exactly what people mean with "there is now tape out" when talking about teams. Every team has weak points in their coverages and alignments that become obvious if you break down tape enough.

Kollman just pointed out some of ours on the backside. And if there is anyone who would know some of the ways to attack our secondary it was Flores.

Last edited:
BB is supposed to be great at halftime adjustments. Apparently, Flores also knows how to adjust, especially if he knows the defensive playbook. Now BB faces another ex-Pat, albeit one who has been away for several years. The same old playbook will not get it done. Can BB make the changes needed to stay one jump ahead of Vrabel? This season's playoff run depends on it.

Vrabel is a sharp cookie

Pls Delete.

Last edited:
If you have about 20min to kill check it out he goes pretty in depth through some of the tendencies in our coverages with a focus on Gilmore. Even though he made the video before the Miami game (it was posted after) he really explains well why the Dolphins had so much success inside in an extremely accessible way.

The one comment I want to make is that this is exactly what people mean with "there is now tape out" when talking about teams. Every team has weak points in their coverages and alignments that become obvious if you break down tape enough.

Kollman just pointed out some of ours on the backside. And if there is anyone who would know some of the ways to attack our secondary it was Flores.

Vrabel will know too. Is Steve Belichick calling the plays? The D has seemingly become very average the past several weeks.

The question is if this guy can watch the tape and point out the flaws why hasn't BB changed up the schemes, he and his assistants must self scout.

Someone get this to BB. I know, I know, he probably doesn't need help from some yahoo on YouTube. But it can't hurt just in case.

One play highlighting a tendency that turns into a mistake by the help isn’t exactly exposing a scheme.
They actually played it well, except McCourty screwed up and there was pressure also that almost killed the play. I hope teams try to duplicate that play.

Last edited:
One play highlighting a tendency that turns into a vices he mistake by the help isn’t exactly exposing a scheme.
They actually played it well, except McCourty screwed up and there was pressure also that almost killed the play. I hope teams try to duplicate that play.

I thought so too but then he showed like 5 other examples after that....

I thought so too but then he showed like 5 other examples after that....
He showed a bunch of successful plays throughout the season against the #1 defense and #2 pass defense. Then he said everyone has figured out the game plans. I’m not concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back