PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[UPDATE: Olsen signs with SEA] Report: Pats trying to get Gronk to comeback; Greg Olsen is plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe make the AFC championship, but nothing beyond that. 5 million variables involved.

For whatever reason many like to ignore 2018 Gronk and reality in general, and pretend 2019 Gronk would be prime Gronk.

2018 Gronk blocked like an OT, could handle Pro Bowl edge rushers on his own, opened up routes underneath for Edelman when he ran seams, spurred a running attack that became a force during playoffs, grabbed some monster catches in the AFCCG comeback in Kansas City, and grabbed the key catch in the game winning and only TD drive of the Superbowl.

Just saying...... I wouldn’t mind 2018 Gronk.

2018 Gronk blocked like an OT, could handle Pro Bowl edge rushers on his own, opened up routes underneath for Edelman when he ran seams, spurred a running attack that became a force during playoffs, grabbed some monster catches in the AFCCG comeback in Kansas City, and grabbed the key catch in the game winning and only TD drive of the Superbowl.

Just saying...... I wouldn’t mind 2018 Gronk.
How would it have played out with the cap though? What pieces would have been different to accommodate for paying Gronk like a top TE? What about Andrews being out? Are we assuming Develin, Wynn, and the OL in general stays healthy if Gronk plays? These are just a handful of variables. 2018 Gronk is a known commodity, predicting 2019 Gronk is nothing more than predicting. Would he have likely been more useful than the TE group the Pats had if remotely healthy, sure. Not ready to sit here though and make some claim that having him on the team would have been a magic pill to solve many of the other issues the 2019 Pats faced.

I don’t think Gronk wants to play for Belichick anymore.

Yeah, there's a lot of bad blood between them:

Screen-Shot-2020-02-01-at-33526-PM-43bb8ed491640ef170632a176a757d32.jpg

Gronk-party-scaled-e1580603032733.jpg

My biggest concern (however I am open to a Gronk return) is very recently I thought I read Gronk admitted he knew he lost a step during his last season. Do you think Gronk can be good enough in 2021? Again, not against a Gronk return. Just curious.
I'm convinced that Gronk could die in an airplane crash tomorrow and there would still be a sizable portion of posters calling for him to come back.

I'm convinced that Gronk could die in an airplane crash tomorrow and there would still be a sizable portion of posters calling for him to come back.

His corpse would have been the best blocking TE on the Patriots last season.

His corpse would have been the best blocking TE on the Patriots last season.

His sheer size would be a useful speed bump in a blitz pickup. All Brady needs is an extra half second...

Too soon.:oops:

By the time the Patriots stop fiddling around trying to entice Gronk to return,
Olsen will have been under contract to another team for a month.

Yes, but he'll be included in the list between Randy Moss and Antonio Brown.

By the time the Patriots stop fiddling around trying to entice Gronk to return,
Olsen will have been under contract to another team for a month.

This assumes two things: 1) That the Patriots front office is incapable of doing two things at once, and 2) That they only have one TE spot on the roster that is capable of being upgraded.

Regarding cap. Had Gronk came back, then the pats wouldn't have had the cap space to sign AB, and instead would have been forced to stick with D. Thomas.

I hope the Patriots don't try to pressure him. He's given enough to the game. If he decides, that's fine. If he doesn't, that's fine too. I would hope that people wouldn't pressure him for their own selfish reasons. He's not going to get healthier than he is right now and for anyone who has been around retired NFL players, you know what they suffer when they're done. Just look at that NFL 100 player video and pay attention to how most of greats are walking. Check out how Deion walks in that video for instance. The injuries are never over.

I hope the Patriots don't try to pressure him. He's given enough to the game. If he decides, that's fine. If he doesn't, that's fine too. I would hope that people wouldn't pressure him for their own selfish reasons. He's not going to get healthier than he is right now and for anyone who has been around retired NFL players, you know what they suffer when they're done. Just look at that NFL 100 player video and pay attention to how most of greats are walking. Check out how Deion walks in that video for instance. The injuries are never over.

I'd be surprised if they pressured him really. I think it's perfectly reasonable to check in with the guy after a year off and see if he has any regrets about leaving, or is getting the itch again. It happened with Witten, and in some way to Scarnecchia too. Gronk doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would get brow-beaten into coming back when he didn't want to either. If he's having fun and loving life, he'll stay retired. But I'm glad they're checking (if true), because why not?

Regarding cap. Had Gronk came back, then the pats wouldn't have had the cap space to sign AB, and instead would have been forced to stick with D. Thomas.
That is what I was going to say.

So not only would we have had a competent TE. But we would have had a better #2 WR than Sanu and kept our 2nd round pick.

Still think the lack of a true # 1 receiver would've hurt us. Even with Gronk. Tight End wasn't the biggest issue this year.

Tight end was an absolute **** show. Zero talent at that position meant Brady had no reliable checkdown throws. That exacerbated the lack of talent at WR. And having a bad OL also made it worse because Brady didn't have time to throw to the guys who weren't getting open.

Offensive side of the ball needs a major talent injection for the Pats. They have been getting by with scraps for years and it finally bit them in the butt in 2019.

Olsen would be an upgrade over what we have now if he is willing to come in cheaply. We were trotting out 38 year old Watson who was running on 1/4 tank of gas.

Tight end was an absolute **** show. Zero talent at that position meant Brady had no reliable checkdown throws. That exacerbated the lack of talent at WR. And having a bad OL also made it worse because Brady didn't have time to throw to the guys who weren't getting open.

Offensive side of the ball needs a major talent injection for the Pats. They have been getting by with scraps for years and it finally bit them in the butt in 2019.

Olsen would be an upgrade over what we have now if he is willing to come in cheaply. We were trotting out 38 year old Watson who was running on 1/4 tank of gas.

ben ****ing Watson man

WTF with his bad back, NO WAY.

Nothing more need be said.

That is what I was going to say.

So not only would we have had a competent TE. But we would have had a better #2 WR than Sanu and kept our 2nd round pick.
The pats may have also had the cap space to trade for Sanders instead of Sanu. Could have had Edelman, Sanders, Thomas and Gronk

A major issue with all the Gronk comeback banter is what has he been putting in his body??

Last year after we signed Watson he had to serve a 4 game suspension for use of PED's.. would not be surprised if Gronk might also face something similar given his extensive injury history. Particularly with his debilitating back issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing