PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update: 5-year old girl involved in Britt Reid accident awakens from coma

Hopefully the family also has a separate civil litigation in process. KC deserves nothing less than a bloodbath.
If I ran/owned the Chiefs, I would preempt any legal maneuverings against me by reaching out to the family (i.e. the family's lawyer) and make a multi-multi-million dollar "donation" in exchange for them stating that we (the team) have been cooperative, generous, and are not at fault.

It’s possible. Before she left the outpatient clinic she was at and went back to the schools to have more free time to be with our daughter, my wife was the speech therapist who worked with PTs and OTs on a motorcycle accident victim. He sustained massive brain damage in the accident and, for a while, was in a similar coma. Three years later and he’s walking and talking (albeit with permanent issues). The doctors didn’t think he’d ever do either again. So it’s definitely possible that she can lead some form of a functional life. Just depends on which part of the brain sustained the most damage and the quality of care she’s able to get.
On the flip side, my wife cared for a man who was in a motorcycle accident and was paralyzed from the neck down until he passed away in 2013.

I hope this poor girl's chances are better because of her young age.

He has either killed or practically ended this girl's life as we know it. He's lucky the parents don't just take business into their own hands. Life in prison would be cake compared to what most parents would do to him
Years ago I was on a worksite and I saw a guy with one leg getting out of a car. When I expressed sympathy for the man one of the guys on my crew asked me if I knew how he lost his leg. When I said no he let me know that he had sex with his 15 year old baby sitter and her father and brother smashed his leg to pieces so bad that he lost the lower half. I wasn't as sympathetic when I learned that.

It isn't so much the delays that bother me, it's the selective treatment of the story. There's no doubt in my mind that if Steve Belichick was driving, or anyone else who wasn't considered a friend to the mediots, that would have been much bigger news.

Years ago I was on a worksite and I saw a guy with one leg getting out of a car. When I expressed sympathy for the man one of the guys on my crew asked me if I knew how he lost his leg. When I said no he let me know that he had sex with his 15 year old baby sitter and her father and brother smashed his leg to pieces so bad that he lost the lower half. I wasn't as sympathetic when I learned that.
Do you have to reset the "No accidents since _____" sign under those circumstances?

How can the Chiefs be sued? If I did something like that scumbag Reid did in my free time, my employer could not be sued AFAIK.

If you left your place of employment drunk and killed or hospitalized people, they could absolutely be held liable on some level

He has either killed or practically ended this girl's life as we know it. He's lucky the parents don't just take business into their own hands. Life in prison would be cake compared to what most parents would do to him

oh yea... if something like this happened to my son, I would end up in prison

If I ran/owned the Chiefs, I would preempt any legal maneuverings against me by reaching out to the family (i.e. the family's lawyer) and make a multi-multi-million dollar "donation" in exchange for them stating that we (the team) have been cooperative, generous, and are not at fault.

They could take the "donation" and still sue them for more

It isn't so much the delays that bother me, it's the selective treatment of the story. There's no doubt in my mind that if Steve Belichick was driving, or anyone else who wasn't considered a friend to the mediots, that would have been much bigger news.

It would be feeding a 24/7 news cycle

Must not be as profitable with people like KC/Reid, but Brady, Belichick and the Patriots draw huge viewers who either love them or love to hate them

No question.

They could take the "donation" and still sue them for more
What I meant was make an arrangement where the family makes all sorts of public statements about how wonderful the Chiefs are *and* quietly also agree not to sue. Basically KC should preempt a lawsuit by agreeing to a settlement beforehand. Apologies that that was unclear.

The KC Chiefs is where the real money is at. Britt Reid presumably has insurance but his own personal net worth probably isn’t that high. Assistant Coaches make good money compared to regular people, but not the millions that HC’s get. I’d bet his net worth is less than 7 figures. Given the way he lives his life, even that may be generous.

It would be feeding a 24/7 news cycle

Must not be as profitable with people like KC/Reid, but Brady, Belichick and the Patriots draw huge viewers who either love them or love to hate them
I don't think it's that simple. It's the Godfather in reverse. With the media, it's not business, it's personal.

If you left your place of employment drunk and killed or hospitalized people, they could absolutely be held liable on some level
Do we know if the guy was legally drunk?

Not officially.

I believe he was impaired but don’t know it for a fact. However, I’m applying the old theory that whatever a guy *admits* to drinking on the scene is probably only about half what he really *did* drink (if not less).

They took his blood when he went to the hispital, so there will be definate proof one way or another. Being that he hit a parked car on the side of the road, on an on ramp. I'm gonna go with, yeah, he was drunk.

If you look at where the accident happened in relation to Arrowhead, there are not bars anywhere between the accident site and Arrowhead. So unless he doubleback to the stadium after getting ****faced, he was drinking at the stadium

Also keep in mind tha family's lawyer said she has permanent brain damage, not the doctors. So take that for what its worth.

If Reid was drinking at the facility, the Chiefs are on the hook and this will cost them. They might even lose a 7th rd draft pick.

They took his blood when he went to the hispital, so there will be definate proof one way or another. Being that he hit a parked car on the side of the road, on an on ramp. I'm gonna go with, yeah, he was drunk.

If you look at where the accident happened in relation to Arrowhead, there are not bars anywhere between the accident site and Arrowhead. So unless he doubleback to the stadium after getting ****faced, he was drinking at the stadium

If Reid was drinking at the facility, the Chiefs are on the hook and this will cost them. They might even lose a 7th rd draft pick.
ahhh not too sure....did andy reid refuse to coach goodell's favorite team and former employer ? maybe just a sternly worded memo to all 32 teams stating the nfl does not condone drinking and driving and frowns on employees drinking alcohol on team premises.

Also keep in mind tha family's lawyer said she has permanent brain damage, not the doctors. So take that for what its worth.

I don't think we can assume that he was drunk just because he hit a parked car and I don't believe an employer should necessarily bear the responsibility for what an individual does while on the job or in their building.

I'll take it another step and say that the same thing should apply to a bartender working at a bar if he isn't given the authority to test a customer's consumption level. How can the bartender know how many drinks that customer had before he walked in?

Without a clear sign that a drinker is impaired and a danger behind the wheel, then I believe it's only the individual who's at fault and not the owner of the building or business where he had drinks. Having the ability to include more responsible parties is a result of the litigious society we're in right now and is a gift for the lawyers.

It's been 7 weeks since this tragic accident and over 3 weeks since last reports on this. I'm getting a really bad feeling this ass**le may walk.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back