PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

uh-oh Dwayne Allen finds offense very hard to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have kept Bennet. Same amount of money, much more talented, does not have Allen's issue with drops and he wouldn't have cost us a high draft pick. Would have been nice if we had used that on a DE at this point.

Should have kept Bennet. Same amount of money, much more talented, does not have Allen's issue with drops and he wouldn't have cost us a high draft pick. Would have been nice if we had used that on a DE at this point.
The Pats offered him a contract during the season and he rejected saying he was going to move on. He didn't get what he thought he would on the open market but moved on anyways. It's not the Pats being cheap, they had his market right all along, it was Bennett's decision to go elsewhere.

The Pats offered him a contract during the season and he rejected saying he was going to move on. He didn't get what he thought he would on the open market but moved on anyways. It's not the Pats being cheap, they had his market right all along, it was Bennett's decision to go elsewhere.
I hated losing Bennett and wish he had stayed somehow, but you're correct.

Just stop.

1. As the attached images show, the contracts are NOT the same. In addition, BennetT was looking for a much bigger deal at the outset of free agency but ultimately signed for less than he wanted or expected. I suspect that the patriots offered him a very similar deal to the Packers prior to the official start of free agency but he reportedly was looking for 9+ million yearly. They had to move on and Allen was Plan B.

2. Allen has yet to play a single regular season down in a pats uniform. Let's give him a chance to succeed before labeling him a failure. In past years he has been a major red zone threat and is an elite blocker for his position. Yes he has had issues with drops in the past but perhaps that was more an issue of focus, which can be corrected. He's already mentioned that the patriots expectations and demands are greater than what he has experience in the past. Hopefully he can adapt and thrive. By all accounts he is a true professional who take his job seriously.

3. The trade was not Allen alone for a "high" draft pick. They also received a 6th. If he catches 7-8 TDs, which is certainly possible given his history in the red zone, and provides elite blocking, that's very good value.

Attachments

• IMG_6506.jpg
    IMG_6506.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6507.jpg
    IMG_6507.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2
Just stop.

1. As the attached images show, the contracts are NOT the same. In addition, BennetT was looking for a much bigger deal at the outset of free agency but ultimately signed for less than he wanted or expected. I suspect that the patriots offered him a very similar deal to the Packers prior to the official start of free agency but he reportedly was looking for 9+ million yearly. They had to move on and Allen was Plan B.

2. Allen has yet to play a single regular season down in a page with uniform. Let's give him a chance to succeed before labeling him a failure. In past years he has been a major red zone threat and is an elite blocker for his position. Yes he has had issues with drops in the past but perhaps that was more an issue of focus, which can be corrected. He's already mentioned that the patriots expectations and demands are greater than what he has experience in the past. Hopefully he can adapt and thrive. By all accounts he is a true professional who take his job seriously.

3. The trade was not Allen alone for a "high" draft pick. They also received a 6th. If he catches 7-8 TDs, which is certainly possible given his history in the red zone, and provides elite blocking, that's very good value.

You are wasting your time with thoughtful analysis.

The sky is falling because it might get cloudy and rain.

The sky is falling even though it might be sunshine and a perfect day.

The offensive that we run isn't your standard one. We don't normally go with 3 wrs 1 and a running back, that most of the league got to. We have a complex game plan and it changes every week. It has taken Brady 15+ years to master it. I'd of been more surprised if Allen came out and said this is easy.. it's not look at the players we have cut over the years. Talented yes, understanding of this offensive and being able to replicate it is another. Which is why so many of us were shocked and how well Malcom Mitch did, as a rookie, the guy turned
Up massively in the super bowl, felt like Brady had real trust with him behind Edelman and Dola, i'm sure Allen will be fine, it wouldn't surprise me if it took him another 6-8 weeks to understand it more and have a slight more increase of knowledge of it.

I hated losing Bennett and wish he had stayed somehow, but you're correct.
99.9% of the fans on this board would rather have Bennett over Allen including me.

The annoying part of this thread is some fans already have it indelibly printed on their brains Allen sucks and will amount to nothing because hes not Marty and hasn't done anything in preseason.

I'm confident the same fans were calling for Marty to be cut last preseason because he hadn't done anything.

99.9% of the fans on this board would rather have Bennett over Allen including me.

The annoying part of this thread is some fans already have it indelibly printed on their brains Allen sucks and will amount to nothing because hes not Marty and hasn't done anything in preseason.

I'm confident the same fans were calling for Marty to be cut last preseason because he hadn't done anything.
I think, by and large, you're correct. I'm one who has, probably unfairly, been critical of Allen's performance thus far. It's based upon my irrational dislike of Colts, ex-Colts, looking at maps of Indiana and anything remotely related to that hillbilly haven. Allen does deserve the benefit of the doubt. As far as Bennett is concerned, they're were those, including some here, who were unfair to him, as well, becausee they viewed him as too outspoken.

I think, by and large, you're correct. I'm one who has, probably unfairly, been critical of Allen's performance thus far. It's based upon my irrational dislike of Colts, ex-Colts, looking at maps of Indiana and anything remotely related to that hillbilly haven. Allen does deserve the benefit of the doubt. As far as Bennett is concerned, they're were those, including some here, who were unfair to him, as well, becausee they viewed him as too outspoken.

Thats fine. At least you admit your reasons. I have irrational reasons for not liking a player or thinking he sucks as well. For example, I thought James White was the softest pile of poop on the team. During an interview in 2014 he said he didn't think being a physical runner was his game. I labeled him as not long for this world.

Clearly I was wrong and I'm glad I was.

You are wasting your time with thoughtful analysis.

The sky is falling because it might get cloudy and rain.

The sky is falling even though it might be sunshine and a perfect day.

The Pats had a chance to compete with other teams and chose not to do so. Once he turned down their offer they washed their hands of him. If New England had a similar offer on the table it seems like he would have returned. I am fully aware of the deal he turned down. And his intents. He clearly misread the market. That doesn't mean they had to stop negotiating.

The Pats had a chance to compete with other teams and chose not to do so. Once he turned down their offer they washed their hands of him. If New England had a similar offer on the table it seems like he would have returned. I am fully aware of the deal he turned down. And his intents. He clearly misread the market. That doesn't mean they had to stop negotiating.

So you blame NE for Marty leaving?

Does there have to be blame? Stuff happens in FA
No but the poster I responded to believes the Pats botched the negotiations with Marty

Should have kept Bennet. Same amount of money, much more talented, does not have Allen's issue with drops and he wouldn't have cost us a high draft pick.
Da-fuq, da-foe?

This is so absolutely wrong. It is 100% the reason to stop negotiating and move on.

You can't have a player and his agent hold your team planning hostage. Same as with Welker and Amendola there was an offer and a deadline and the moment that the clock hits 12 you have to move on with plan B and make sure you are not left standing empty handed.

He was offered the same money (if not a little more) than he took from Green Bay. He didn't want to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes