PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

uh-oh Dwayne Allen finds offense very hard to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about the guys who say it's easy. Uh oh.

There is truth to that..

humility + humbleness = clarity

arrogance + pompousness = ignorance

There is this famous quote as well

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

I agree. He said all the right things. Plus, TEs have a harder time than receivers if they're expected to do everything a TE can do (that is, not just block and run up the seam). TE has one of the broadest scopes of any skill position on the team. If Gronk is injured, Allen could see the field on almost every snap and be expected to line up all across the LOS. It's a lot to know.

Belichick is quoted saying he feels the TE position is the hardest position to learn (other than QB) because they're so involved in every single play, regardless of run or pass.. and there are so many shifts, motions, blocking assignments, routes, hot reads, etc that you need to learn

He seems like a humble guy that is working hard to take advantage of his opportunity and doesn't expect anything to be handed to him... so he's already way ahead of the curve on guys like Ochocinco

I read absolutely nothing into this comment besides the fact that the offense is more complex than other teams.

Go figure. Who could've predicted it? :rolleyes:

arrogance, pomposity, grandiosity,venality,banality,bestiality & sentimentality...the 7 Deadly Sins according to the Joe Kerr Church Of Good Looks holy manifesto.which can be YOURS for the mere sum of $99.95 plus P&H sent to me, Ralph Icebag, 21435 Hopper Avenue, Fairlawn N.J.

arrogance, pomposity, grandiosity,venality,banality,bestiality & sentimentality...the 7 Deadly Sins according to the Joe Kerr Church Of Good Looks holy manifesto.which can be YOURS for the mere sum of $99.95 plus P&H sent to me, Ralph Icebag, 21435 Hopper Avenue, Fairlawn N.J.
At least you seem stabilized and accepting of it...

Sometimes it helps to read the whole article

I read the article. He accepts that it's hard and he's grateful for the opportunity. So what?

That doesn't mean he grasps the offense. Ochocino was also very grateful.

Bennett was always a one year rental. Zero chance he was ever going to offered a big contract.

Pats offered him 2 years at $7m per year in Dec, he turned it down as he thought he could get more in FA. Pats couldn't wait for him and got Allen instead. Bennett was wrong and he then accepted GB for 3 years at $7m and the 3rd year is not guaranteed, so same contract.

I'm just gonna leave that here. Watch from 1:16.
Good Morning Football

N

Confused what this has to do with the thread.

im a

i've been watching and im at 1:38 and they are talking about the vikings?

They changed the link. When he posted this in the am it was TB12 commenting on Allen and saying he was working hard, doing a good job, getting better every week, he knows he needs to perform and is confident he will on this team.

While it seems it, to me it was a notch above the standard jibber jabber vote of confidence for a teammate.

here's the correct link:

Tom Brady: Brandin Cooks has been very durable and consistent

Per game, Bennett averaged 2.8 receptions and 29.5 yards for the rest of the season & post-season, after Gronk got injured vs Seattle.
And that's being showcased as the TE1 after Gronk's injury, which is why I'd be shocked to see Allen have anything more than 35-40 catches on the season.

Hopefully, he continues to be one of the best blocking TEs in the game, (which likely made him a lock for the roster a long time ago) and makes the most of those 35-40 receptions.

I agree. He said all the right things. Plus, TEs have a harder time than receivers if they're expected to do everything a TE can do (that is, not just block and run up the seam). TE has one of the broadest scopes of any skill position on the team. If Gronk is injured, Allen could see the field on almost every snap and be expected to line up all across the LOS. It's a lot to know.
That is a very perceptive comment. TE's have to attend the O Line meetings and the receiver meetings.

Biffins is going to have an "I don't care, I can't stand it!" level thread about something within the first quarter of the season. That's my stone cold lock of the week, folks.
Boffins isn't Patstrodamus though, right?

Pats offered him 2 years at $7m per year in Dec, he turned it down as he thought he could get more in FA. Pats couldn't wait for him and got Allen instead. Bennett was wrong and he then accepted GB for 3 years at $7m and the 3rd year is not guaranteed, so same contract.
This is one of the things I mean when I say things just aren't working out. Also the Butler contract where, if Butler is injured say, he could have negotiated himself into poverty. I just feel like the planets are not aligned this year.

This is one of the things I mean when I say things just aren't working out. Also the Butler contract where, if Butler is injured say, he could have negotiated himself into poverty. I just feel like the planets are not aligned this year.
I'm going to take the bait on this post and ask what you mean by claiming "things just aren't working out?" How, exactly, are they not working out so far in the offseason?

Obviously, you realize that they took a 17-2 SB winning roster and did their best to improve upon it, all while carrying over almost 15m dollars before any roster cuts. What other moves would you have liked to see that one could deem "reasonable?"

As noted, Bennett averaged 29 yds a game as the TE1 once Gronk went down. Do you really feel as though the position takes a step backwards with a healthy Gronk + a comparable blocking TE in Allen?

That is a very perceptive comment. TE's have to attend the O Line meetings and the receiver meetings.
Just to add to your comment, I think it would be something of a challenge in trying to learn the pass routes, rushing plays/blocking assignments, as well as the protection audibles, etc.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem Allen seemed to have in the spring was a bit of lack of conditioning, which he seems to have improved upon, according to the camp reports and interviews.

Any issues Allen had about dropping a couple of passes seem to have been overblown. We were just discussing how he looks to have improved nicely, and for some reason people are taking this quote as meaning that he'll somehow be released. I would be very surprised if that happened.

what you mean by claiming "things just aren't working out?" How, exactly, are they not working out so far in the offseason?

... What other moves would you have liked to see that one could deem "reasonable?"

My ideal off-season:
- sign Butler long-term
- compensate Edelman in a way that doesn't feel exploitative
- don't pay Gilmore near that much
- Keep Long, Ryan, Blount, Bennett
- find a way to rest Brady the first 4 games at least
- More undrafted free-agent types, or overlooked prodigies (get players the sports announcers haven't heard of or say are "journeymen" - the fact the sports announcers are trumpeting the talent of our picks is actually a very bad sign)
- more OL signings
- something positive in DE.

The first three of these items, taken together, cannot be good for team chemistry. The idea that Gilmore is making multiples of the combined salaries of Edelman and Butler just doesn't feel right with me.

Do you really feel as though the position takes a step backwards with a healthy Gronk + a comparable blocking TE in Allen?
Not for now, but I don't think Gronk is likely to remain healthy into the playoffs. Same with Brady: even if he looks good now, I'd rather not bet the team on new discoveries in sports science: let the guy rest a few games to start the season.

My ideal off-season:
- sign Butler long-term
- More undrafted free-agent types, or overlooked prodigies (get players the sports announcers haven't heard of or say are "journeymen" - the fact the sports announcers are trumpeting the talent of our picks is actually a very bad sign)
- more OL signings

The first three of these items, taken together, cannot be good for team chemistry. The idea that Gilmore is making multiples of the combined salaries of Edelman and Butler just doesn't feel right with me.

Not for now, but I don't think Gronk is likely to remain healthy into the playoffs. Same with Brady: even if he looks good now, I'd rather not bet the team on new discoveries in sports science: let the guy rest a few games to start the season.
WHERE WE AGREE:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Although I disagree with most of what you're referring to, I would have liked to have seen Butler extended, as well. The big money splash given to Gilmore was surprising, but Belichick took his chance on a bigger, proven CB who he's seen 2x a year throughout his career. While not always correct, I trust his evaluation in talent.

WHERE WE DISAGREE:

I can't get behind your thinking on the exploitation of Edelman. He signed a 2 year extension for 5.5m dollars a year AAV. That's a win for the team, but he and Brady have been known to take a bit less for the benefit of the team. He and his agent both signed off on it. It is comparable to the pact given to Wes Welker in DEN.

Worrying about the losses of role players like Long, Blount, Ryan, etc is silly. If anything, we're stronger and more versatile at RB. The loss of Ryan was met with signing the premier CB on the market in free agency. Again, it appears that the position has been strengthened, not weakened. You've already admitted that the TE situation is fine with Allen, and the return of Gronk. I'm not sure where the concern lies, outside of maybe DE, and even then, what percentage of reps was Long seeing last year?

The Patriots brought in about 1/4 of the current 90 man roster with new UDFAs, so I can't get behind your griping on that one, either. They will most likely be extending their streak to 13 straight seasons where an UDFA makes the team. Even if they didn't have a new undrafted player make the squad, so what? I thought we wanted as much solid talent as possible. Who cares if the announcers already know their names? That shouldn't have anything to do with it. I guess I'm missing how that's an ominous sign in your mind?

As far as the OL goes, they had a draft pick from last year develop nicely so far in Karras, and re-drafted at the OT position for next year. Twice. Hopefully, a year in Dante's academy will pay off with one of them for next season. In the meantime, the top 6 positions look pretty solid with Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon, and Karras. While somewhat underwhelming, having a proven veteran guy like Cameron Fleming as your 7th OL isn't a terrible thing. After all, the projections currently show that he'll be a top 3 free agent at the position next spring. Even a guy like Waddle (who may not even make the team) is projected as a top 10 free agent at the position. Sure, that's mostly due to the lack of talent at the position, but these guys can't be THAT bad, can they?

Geez...

My ideal off-season:
- sign Butler long-term
- more OL signings

tumblr_ofrrc94Gtp1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Please just go away.

My ideal off-season:
- sign Butler long-term
- more OL signings

I don't care....

...I don't care...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday