PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Curran downers re: Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it’s back channel it’s from staff on their own to protect their client. That’s life.

Of course and it is absolutely fine if he looks out for himself it is a business after all. But then there should not be a surprise if people react to that.

Fellowship of the miserable. The sharks smell blood in the water and the buzzards are circling a dying carcass. I don't care if Brady was down after the game. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN. I was down too, and pissed. I yelled at my TV for 60 minutes. He will be gone after the season, I wonder what they will write about after he leaves?

Last edited:
Only a million a year less than a guy he was significantly better than sort of defines underpaid.
That was Tom's choice. He could have taken the Deion Branch/ Richard Seymour route and chose not to.

Tom has always had the choice to pick up every penny off the floor. He never has and that has hurt his negotiating position.

He has not taken every penny off the floor because that meant a more competitive team, a better shot at a ring and a smaller chance to be traded to nowhereland because of his cap number in classic "better a year early" fashion by BB.

He did it because he benefitted himself from it immensely and not because he is such a kind person. Mind you that doesn't mean that he is not a kind person.

And there is nothing controversial about that. More QBs should be thinking along those lines and take discounts especially now with the insane contracts that are being handed out.

But unfortunately many people confuse money with respect even though the difference between a 85M and 100M contract is essentially non-existent for the rest of your everyday life.

Good for Brady to realise this and be a big part why this team remained successful through rebuilds and down years. But can we just stop with all the myths how he sacrificed and whatnot..

What is untrue there? You think he’s had an ample abundance of extremely talented skill players this year or even last year? Most of this year, he’s had ONE guy who can consistently get open in man. One. At age 42. The team **** the bed at both TE and WR (which they’ve at least tried to remedy with Sanu and Harry). Brady is the one taking the heat for that by the unwashed masses who think Bill is infallible. Those people aren’t Patriots fans. Those people are Bill fans. That’s you.

That doesn't explain him consistently missing open receivers. Or throwing one pick per game. There's no doubt the TE's and receivers sans Edelman and Sanu suck though.

The Brady to LA Chargers is becoming more real.

In 2020

Melvin Gordon 27
Austin Ekeler 25
Keenan Allen 28
Mike Williams 26
Hunter Henry 26

Add 1 HOF QB who doesnt throw an INT every 5th pass and a TE, shake and there you have a Super Bowl caliber offense.

Brady is throwing into some of the tightest windows of his career with the poorest blindside protection of his career. When he had a full compliment at the beginning of the season, he was easily the best QB in the NFL.

Sanu and Edelman aren't bad though. You can win a SB with them as your go to receivers. The OL is a much bigger issue imo. We'll see what Wynn provides

It’s fairly simple. He’s simply mad that the offense is so badly depleted this year when in previous years, we’ve found players somewhere. Not happening now because the team blew up the cap for AB

Of course and it is absolutely fine if he looks out for himself it is a business after all. But then there should not be a surprise if people react to that.
No, people undertake defensive positions for a client on their own. Happens. Curran is the hack recipient of such work. I don’t need to read it. It’s kerfuffle for hawt take Tuesday.

Moving on.

The resident Primates wont like it and will throw feces from their cages.

The Pats drafting of skill position players has been beyond terrible. They hit on Gronk and White. Edelman they developed. Since Deon Branch and David Givens there you have it.

Sony looks like hes in quicksand most of the time. And, of course, Harry is going to be a worldbeater if you listen to the homers pumping each other up with BS and his college game highlights.

That was Tom's choice. He could have taken the Deion Branch/ Richard Seymour route and chose not to.
Absolutely but the fact remains he took less.

I agree sort of. There’s no better pocket passer, and I’m wary of running QBs, but I wonder if the game has changed enough that his inability to run well has become more of a problem.

Why would it have? What's changed is that the pass pro is subpar and there are a dearth of guys Brady has absolute trust in, making defensive keys easy. The icing on the cake is that the run game can be ignored almost completely without concern. Change any one of these and things will like passable again. Change two and they're a clear top 10 squad even with Brady at his current level.

You can’t (unlike some here) simultaneously claim that Brady is some saint taking less for the good of the team and that Belichick is coldly low-balling him.

Why would it have? What's changed is that the pass pro is subpar and there are a dearth of guys Brady has absolute trust in, making defensive keys easy. The icing on the cake is that the run game can be ignored almost completely without concern. Change any one of these and things will like passable again. Change two and they're a clear top 10 squad even with Brady at his current level.
And note that one of those things is in Brady’s control.

Exactly but it's not germane to the, "Brady is a grump" discussion yarn Curran keeps harping on. Hes throwing it in there as a potential reason Tom is grumpy and because they underpaid him, its the Kraft's fault he is his way. Total speculative ********.

I read the first page of this thread, and got enough BS there to not want to read the whole thing. So I'll say this without knowing (or caring) if someone said it already:

GOOD. I want Tom Brady down on the offense's performance after this game. They didn't play well enough. Sure, technically, it was good enough to win, but they had multiple opportunities to put the game away, and instead the Eagles had a shot at the end on the 4th down throw. Good on the defense for coming through. But the offense SHOULD want to be better, and SHOULDN'T just be happy they won.

This isn't Michael Bennett complaining about playing time on a defense that is dominating without him, or another defensive player complaining after a shutout that he didn't get enough sacks. The offense and the defense are separate units, and it's perfectly fine for a player on an underachieving one to feel frustration at not living up to potential. Especially when the other side of the ball is playing so damn well.

If anyone thinks Tom Brady isn't going to work as hard, or suddenly mail it in because of his frustrations, then I don't know what athlete you've been watching. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with Tom being pissed off so far. They need to play better, and whatever the underlying reason for it is, he's not satisfied, and neither should we be.

I'm getting tired of Curran talking about Brady's "low ball" contract offers. Brady has been paid at or near the top of the market for a great majority of his career. At the end he's missing out on the explosion of the QB market that's been happening the last few years. But he ALSO must know that it would be extraordinarily stupid for his team to invest a top of the market contract on a 42 year old QB.

Also Brady has ALWAYS wisely traded the opportunity to get the last dollar in order to have a competitive team to surround him. If he wants to milk the last dollar out of the Pats, (money that wouldn't change his lifestyle one iota), he should be the one to tell Joe Thuney, or Jaime Collins, or any of the other Pats FA's that would like to stay here, that they can't get "their's" because he needs even more of "his".

If Brady truly feels "underappreciated" and "under paid" and is mad about it then F*CK HIM. Thanks for all the years that you weren't an as*hole, but I rooted for Tom Brady, NOT Tom Baby.

But frankly I think this is a media narrative perhaps fed by those surrounding Brady who have their own agendas. I'm hoping Brady is STILL the guy he's always been, just frustrated that the offense isn't contributing as much to this successful season as he'd like. I get that. But maybe someone should tell him that his pouting all the time is not only bad for the team, but it makes it look like he is blaming everyone ELSE on the offense for the results.
Zero percent chance Brady is despondent because he is on the lower end of the contract curve compared to his peers. Mediots that continually float this blather are click bait desperate, lazy, and clearly haven’t paid attention the last 2 decades.
I 100% believe Brady is perturbed by how GM BB spends the cap space created because of Brady’s generous discounts.
The defense is filled with high wage vets and obscene depth while the offense has been shopping at rehab clinics and national turd centers.

Beyond the money aspect..... so many issues that are no doubt affecting Brady’s id, ego, and super-ego.
-From GOAT to game manager
-Young guns running around other stadiums making names for themselves
-His limitations on display
-His crafted “defying age “ narrative losing momentum
-Lack of O talent to make him look better
-Awareness of lack O talent to survive the playoffs
-20 years of marriage with same organization
-Accepting a diminished role
Etc
Etc
Etc

I’m hoping he can get past what I fully expect to be a short term dip in offensive personnel quality.
Who here doesn’t believe BB will go above and beyond this offseason to retool an offense that has health, depth, and quality issues.

—————

OT: As a highly regarded keyboard GM, allow me to advise BB to, in the future, consider replacing 1 of his precious special team slots with an additional OL.
Kickoff coverage is 90% irrelevant and you have a punter who can help compensate for a less deep coverage unit.
Scouring the unemployment line for LTs should never happen again.

One point to remember for the sake of perspective is that BB has tried, tried and TRIED to surround Brady with a top supporting cast this year: (1) the last three first-round picks have been offensive players, (2) veteran WR help was brought in via Sanu, AB, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon and Maurice Harris, (3) a slew of offensive linemen have arrived via trade or the draft, (3) Ben Watson was signed, and (4) Damien Harris (a/k/a "Mystery Man") was drafted. Veteran tight end help apparently was on the radar as well, precluded by Gronk's late exit and again before the trade deadline by lack of resources. Injuries (at fullback/OL), retirements and just plain bad luck have conspired against best-laid plans so again, it hasn't been for lack of trying. My only gripe is that re-signing Trent Brown wasn't prioritized last year through in-season extension or possibly franchising him. We can only hope that Wynn's return will be a godsend and that Meyers and Harry finally will click with Brady. Barring further injury the offense should at least be serviceable in the stretch run but good luck (for a change) will be needed.

This thread has too many amateur psychologists in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey