PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Curran downers re: Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The complete opposite is true. I am a Patriots fan and not part of this cult of the infallible
Brady.

And I am certainly not talking about his criticism of the offense. This is about once again going through Curran behind the scenes to make sure all the garbage from previous seasons like "lack of respect through money" or "not enough skill players" gets brought up.

Or do you seriously believe Curran is just pulling this out of his ass while having lunch with his pal Guerrero.
What is untrue there? You think he’s had an ample abundance of extremely talented skill players this year or even last year? Most of this year, he’s had ONE guy who can consistently get open in man. One. At age 42. The team **** the bed at both TE and WR (which they’ve at least tried to remedy with Sanu and Harry). Brady is the one taking the heat for that by the unwashed masses who think Bill is infallible. Those people aren’t Patriots fans. Those people are Bill fans. That’s you.

Not sure I disagree or agree with Curran, but my view is very unpopular. I am seeing a decline in #12, he powered through it last year.. but this year every incompletion is not the receivers fault, he has made some bad throws and bad decisions..

Maybe I am conditioned to him making chicken salad out of chicken crap, but he seems to lack the focus and desire I have seen in the past..

He should be upset at the way the Offense played, but he is part of the offense and needs to be the leader we have come to know...

Agreed. He's missing open receivers left and right. He seems to throw at least one pick per game. Doesn't seem open to working with younger guys. Newsflash: Meyers and Harry are the future of this team. Time to give them a chance, Tom. He's a bigger issue than a solution right now. For the first time, I dread when him and the offense walk onto the field.

I don't doubt he's frustrated. And I know he wants to win. But he's a problem right now. It hurts to say. But it's reality. This team will need to win 2015 Broncos style.

Agree. How Brady ends his career does matter, not just for the Wins and Losses but also for the lasting image we'll all carry of how he managed the gradual erosion of his effectiveness and having to face the end. Nobody is predictable in these circumstances, the toughest emotional challenge they face in a career. I hope he has the emotional intelligence to do it gracefully and thankfully. He's lived a dream of a life so far.

In the end it doesn't matter anymore at this point how he ends his career. He is already this larger than life historic figure that people will instinctively defend because for whatever weird reason they feel like any attack on him is automatically an attack on the time they invested watching the team.

Hell there are people here who are more concerned about his legacy than about the football team they are cheering for.

Agreed. He's missing open receivers left and right. He seems to throw at least one pick per game. Doesn't seem open to working with younger guys. Newsflash: Meyers and Harry are the future of this team. Time to give them a chance, Tom. He's a bigger issue than a solution right now. For the first time, I dread when him and the offense walk onto the field.

I don't doubt he's frustrated. And I know he wants to win. But he's a problem right now. It hurts to say. But it's reality. This team will need to win 2015 Broncos style.
Brady is throwing into some of the tightest windows of his career with the poorest blindside protection of his career. When he had a full compliment at the beginning of the season, he was easily the best QB in the NFL.

In the end it doesn't matter anymore at this point how he ends his career. He is already this larger than life historic figure that people will instinctively defend because for whatever weird reason they feel like any attack on him is automatically an attack on the time they invested watching the team.

Hell there are people here who are more concerned about his legacy than about the football team they are cheering for.
You must need some coffee. His legacy getting better directly benefits the team. Your last sentence is ******ed. Get out of here while the getting’s good.

Not instinctively defending him. I gave you reasons for his frustration, you chose to go down the Paranoid lane of Backchannel Curran and that guy Guerrero.

You think Belichick hasn’t shown frustration over the years? Think about it and give an honest answer.

Not instinctively defending him. I gave you reasons for his frustration, you chose to go down the Paranoid lane of Backchannel Curran and that guy Guerrero.

You think Belichick hasn’t shown frustration over the years? Think about it and give an honest answer.
Of course he has. I love the assumption that he’s making that Brady went behind the team’s back to air dirty laundry to Curran. As if Curran is not capable of processing what he’s seeing and putting 2 + 2 together.

What is untrue there? You think he’s had an ample abundance of extremely talented skill players this year or even last year? Most of this year, he’s had ONE guy who can consistently get open in man. One. At age 42. The team **** the bed at both TE and WR (which they’ve at least tried to remedy with Sanu and Harry). Brady is the one taking the heat for that by the unwashed masses who think Bill is infallible. Those people aren’t Patriots fans. Those people are Bill fans. That’s you.

I thought the story always was that what makes Brady great is that he is not depend on having "extremely talented" skill players. Or was that the story people tried to conjure up to marginalise Manning ?

Last year he had a top 5 OL in the league, a great running game, three good-to-great options on the inside with Edelman, White and Gronk and pretty much nothing outside. That is not a bad situation.

If you want to be critical you can call it an above average (i.e. still top 12) situation that he then elevated to a top 5 unit with his ability to read and anticipate plays.

This year the situation on offense is still a mess but guess what ? He has an elite defense to fall back on while they are trying to figure themselves out on offense while getting talented players back from IR.

This is no different than all those years where he was on the other side of it with the defense underperforming while the offense was humming along.

Finally, Brady is not taking any heat at all. This is laughable. He is essentially football Jesus here.

So we are going into whataboutism. Yeah, no thanks.

There are so many possible reasons why Tom is being grumpy after games, etc. I'm tired of speculating as to why.

For all we know he is going through avocado withdrawal....

TB12 has been underpaid for most of his career.
Oh, the humanity. Just imagine all the things he's had to do without through years of financial sacrifice.

So we are going into whataboutism. Yeah, no thanks.
There you go. One is held higher than the other. Pretty dishonest, dude.

I am a bigger fan of BB than TB but at least I can rationalize human behavior and deal with it. People aren’t perfect has been my message this morning and you’re telling me I am saying the opposite.

You need to focus.

I think our offensive woes are down to a number of issues.

1) O-line sucks. Brady is getting pressured a lot, especially blind side. And they're worse in the run game somehow. Michel literally can't get to the line of scrimmage without beating at least one defender first on 90% of the snaps. The lack of a run game negates any threat of play action passes

2) TE's suck in every aspect of the game. Can't block and don't offer any kind of legitimate target to Brady in the pass game. They can't get open and they can't win contested catches.

3) Brady doesn't trust his young receivers. It's odd to me because they don't seem to have done much wrong to earn this lack of trust. Dorsett went through a couple of years of this too, but he ar least was dropping passes. There is an overreliance on Edelman now to get open on every play. Makes it easy to defend us in redzone.

4) Brady's accuracy is off on the short game. I've lost count of the 5 yard screens that he's completely missed his target on. It's a strange one.

I thought the story always was that what makes Brady great is that he is not depend on having "extremely talented" skill players. Or was that the story people tried to conjure up to marginalise Manning ?

Fair point. Edelman > Caldwell. Throws a tighter spiral too.

Last year he had a top 5 OL in the league, a great running game, three good-to-great options on the inside with Edelman, White and Gronk and pretty much nothing outside. That is not a bad situation.

Once again, true. To me, his mood is a non-story. You lose Gronk and you're 42, and you might be in a mood too. Dude's human. Now if he comes to a podium and says "Hear ye hear ye, they've put me out here without enough weapons and/or protection for the last time," and yeah, then I'm worried.

So A) yes, he's lost a lot in terms of weapons, B) yes, he was in a great position last year in terms of inside weapons (as you point out), and C) TFB is human and has emotions.

If you want to be critical you can call it an above average (i.e. still top 12) situation that he then elevated to a top 5 unit with his ability to read and anticipate plays.

Nontroversial stance, either way.

This year the situation on offense is still a mess but guess what ? He has an elite defense to fall back on while they are trying to figure themselves out on offense while getting talented players back from IR.

True, and to an extent, true by design. I think the Pats have been emphasizing D and attempting to emphasize the ground game. It's in preparation for being non-dominant through the air. That's protecting against a growing downside risk. You can't not do it.

And BB probably has been champing at the bit to do it for many years.

Make note, this does not mean he's not taking his shots to scoop up some weapons on the cheap. So far he's succeeded in picking up my 2012 fantasy team off the waiver wire receiver by receiver. But hey, they are trying to give him something.

This is no different than all those years where he was on the other side of it with the defense underperforming while the offense was humming along.

True

Finally, Brady is not taking any heat at all. This is laughable. He is essentially football Jesus here.

He is being treated horribly for a guy with 6 rings who's been to 4 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. But he hasn't been to this year's yet, or to any subsequent year's. So, it's paradoxical to attempt to judge fan treatment.

For my part, I still think it's too early to sell Brady stock and bemoan that Jimmy G is going to win the ring this year, and this is 2 rings after the first time the Pats said that :)

More to the point, there's a far greater than zero chance that we go again with TFB. In fact, I would dare say that it's more likely we go and win with TFB than any other QB presently available -- in fact, any other QB presently playing.

Now, that's given very imperfect knowledge. But that still gets you football Jesus status. So... not that it's correct to give him that much slack, but it's logically defensible.

There you go. One is held higher than the other. Pretty dishonest, dude.

I am a bigger fan of BB than TB but at least I can rationalize human behavior and deal with it. People aren’t perfect has been my message this morning and you’re telling me I am saying the opposite.

You need to focus.

I am not holding anyone higher here. My point is that just because someone else might have lost their composure at some point doesn't mean that everyone now has carte blanche to do so.

This is a bit harsh. TB12 has been underpaid for most of his career.
No, he hasn’t. For example, from when NE and Brady tore up his rookie contract up to when Goober (aka Pay-me-a-ton, as many here liked to call him) Manning retired, Brady was only paid about $1mil/yr less than Goober. (Per SporTrac, taking total cash actually received from the teams over that time and dividing by the number of years).

Did Brady not go for every last dollar? Sure. But was he being Mr. Generous and taking some big hometown discount? Nope.

I am not holding anyone higher here. My point is that just because someone else might have been lost their composure at some point doesn't mean that everyone now has carte blanche to do so.
Happens. They’re people. He doesn’t throw his teammates under the bus that’s all I care about when it comes to stories like this. If it’s back channel it’s from staff on their own to protect their client. That’s life. McDaniels has his work cut out for him.

No, he hasn’t. For example, from when NE and Brady tore up his rookie contract up to when Goober (aka Pay-me-a-ton, as many here liked to call him) Manning retired, Brady was only paid about $1mil/yr less than Goober. (Per SporTrac, taking total cash actually received from the teams over that time and dividing by the number of years).

Did Brady not go for every last dollar? Sure. But was he being Mr. Generous and taking some big hometown discount? Nope.
Only a million a year less than a guy he was significantly better than sort of defines underpaid.

This.

Tom has always had the choice to pick up every penny off the floor. He never has and that has hurt his negotiating position.

He has it now and he's on the 17th hole of his career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back