PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Curran downers re: Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's time to throw is currently 2.65 seconds. The best in the NFL is under 3 seconds. He had 2.62 in 2018.

NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats

Perhaps this isn't the key problem. Perhaps, the issue is more about receivers, and what options he is forced to take because of not having a running game.

Two seconds consistently would be nice.

Average run blocking would be nice too.

Wynn is back so let's see how it goes.

Can't blame him for being frustrated. TE an utter mess position with a social security guy the only contributor. FB out. FB replacement out too. Every single OL solution BB tried has not panned out. The AB move was a fiasco, squared. Compounded by releasing a journeyman vet WR to make room for the wacko. Then, Gordon did or did not do whatever; only the coach and likely the players know. I didn't see Tom and the players with their normal effusive good bye tweets to Gordo. Can't have left on a happy talk note. Meanwhile, #1 draft pick WR gets hurt and does not have the opportunity to develop. What makes this even more frustrating is that this year the AFC is ripe for the taking. A well below par offense, that he is the heart of , makes the situation personal.
I think it's weeks of utter frustration. We just had a rare opportunity to see the private face, not the usual happy talk, robotic public political face of Tommy Boy.
He needs to get over it and move on. He will.

Brady's time to throw is currently 2.65 seconds. The best in the NFL is under 3 seconds. He had 2.62 in 2018.

NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats

Perhaps this isn't the key problem. Perhaps, the issue is more about receivers, and what options he is forced to take because of not having a running game.

I wish people would take a more comprehensive view because this all comes down to the line. We're not opening up the running game and we're not blocking the passer. No amount of speed or deep threats is going to fix that.

There's a reason why Baltimore made our defense look so pedestrian. They were able to run and were able to manage our pass rush (sure Lamar's ability to run helped a ton)

I've really got to hope that a Wynn/Thuney left has a positive ripple effect on the rest of our line.

NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats

I do think this is one of those stats where a split second makes a huge difference, not necessarily on an individual play, but as part of an average. If .2 seconds on average means every five plays he gets a full extra second, that one play can become a chunk play. The kind of thing that flips field position or converts a low-percentage 3rd and long, or gives someone who isn't a huge target (like Edelman) a chance to get free in the red zone.

But in general I agree, that a big part of the problem on offense isn't necessarily his time to throw, but the fact that we're not consistently winning on 1st down. Operating out of 2nd/3rd and 8+ is usually going to result in a punt, eventually, unless you can get those aforementioned chunk plays.

I wish people would take a more comprehensive view because this all comes down to the line. We're not opening up the running game and we're not blocking the passer. No amount of speed or deep threats is going to fix that.

There's a reason why Baltimore made our defense look so pedestrian. They were able to run and were able to manage our pass rush (sure Lamar's ability to run helped a ton)

I've really got to hope that a Wynn/Thuney left has a positive ripple effect on the rest of our line.
If a team can't run the ball, the D is playing dime all day and every WR but JE can't beat man coverage or win 50/50 balls, Tom can have 3 hours to throw and still won't find anyone open.

Plus Tom doesn't trust his blind side, is rushing throws and is being more inaccurate than usual.

luuked said:

Given the statement beginning "for...", by you and all others who doubt anything about Brady, judging only by that standard (I.e., past results, particularly the past 5 years). Your saving grace is that the future is, as described, unwritten.

He might be done making people feel silly about getting itchy to move on. So far, it's always been a bad bet to think so.

But the theory that "trees only grow up" was a great way to evaluate equities and real estate up to 2007 or 2008, right?

I think he's (gasp) past his physical peak, but yes, able to see a whole lot that others don't (because the game has slowed down... yes, even more than he has [physically]). I think he makes a lot out of a little. I think he's got less than he's had in the past, factoring in a problematic O-line. And I think that it's probably bugging him.

Not quite ready for the reign of Stidham (?) myself. I'm a big fan of letting the season play out before deciding on performances in a given season. You're apparently concerned that something called the "Cult of the Infallible Brady" is giving the best QB ever to play the game a, no pun intended, pass.

He misses passes (especially when the protection isn't there, and here we go with the circular argument about him only needing protection because he's not football Jesus...) He's not making lemonade with the current stable of targets and recent temporary fill-ins. And so on.

Where do you stand? You feel he's slumping and needs to straighten up and fly right? Or do you think there are some unusual factors to this year affecting performance vs. expectations?

And by the way, is that a one week reaction, or a season-encompassing look at a guy on pace for 4400 yards, 22TD, 8Int? (And I'll throw in "despite..." and let you use your imagination after the ellipsis).

Or is all this your way of saying Wahhhhh it's not 2007?

You can always crit any player's performance, that's not where I'm coming from. The smugness is a bit much, though. I think we all know, including TFB, that 17 points isn't his idea of lighting it up. This isn't a headline-worthy observation.

Now if you're getting static for stating the obvious, I can see the hackles being raised... but noticing that his numbers were bad against the Iggles isn't exactly cracking the enigma code.

Last edited:
Can't blame him for being frustrated. TE an utter mess position with a social security guy the only contributor. FB out. FB replacement out too. Every single OL solution BB tried has not panned out. The AB move was a fiasco, squared. Compounded by releasing a journeyman vet WR to make room for the wacko. Then, Gordon did or did not do whatever; only the coach and likely the players know. I didn't see Tom and the players with their normal effusive good bye tweets to Gordo. Can't have left on a happy talk note. Meanwhile, #1 draft pick WR gets hurt and does not have the opportunity to develop. What makes this even more frustrating is that this year the AFC is ripe for the taking. A well below par offense, that he is the heart of , makes the situation personal.
I think it's weeks of utter frustration. We just had a rare opportunity to see the private face, not the usual happy talk, robotic public political face of Tommy Boy.
He needs to get over it and move on. He will.

With all that stuff going wrong it's no wonder we're 1-9. Wait, what?

:D

Agree, hasn't been the perfect year from a roster perspective. A pleasure to follow a team that rolls with all that.

LOL at our "No receivers wait best receivers in the league wait we have a squirrel..." merry-go-round this year. You can't make this stuff up.

Patsfans: But Brady doesn’t take responsibility!!!
lol, well he always has in the past, not sure anythings changed. I believe when he mentioned sucking in the afccg in 2011 people thought it was very negative. Dammed if ya do or don't I suppose...

For those bashing Brady and wanting him gone. I hope you enjoy watching the utter mediocrity of Stidham or whatever young qb they bring in. And for those saying Brady is cooked or near cooked just look at the 04 draft class. Rapistburger on IR with torn elbow and very fat, Goober Jr. benched for Daniel Jones, and Crymearivers only being out done in turnovers by Jameis "Crablegs" Winston.

Give Brady Bree's line and if he was playing poorly than you might have a case. Their line even inexplicably gave up 6 sacks to Atlanta and didn't score a touchdown.

Last edited:

NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats

I'm at work atm but like the thought.

I think they're related. I like the time to throw stat but it fails to demonstrate min/max or consistency. I hope that makes sense.

I'm at work atm but like the thought.

I think they're related. I like the time to throw stat but it fails to demonstrate min/max or consistency. I hope that makes sense.
Here's the thing that I think Brady has failed to come to grips with. For most of his career he's been throwing to guys who where "open", emphatically open. His great TD to pick ratio comes from the fact that he DIDN'T throw the ball into tight windows (for the most part) and his patience to throw it away and live for another down or series.

You can't tell me that Givens and Branch where fast and twitchy guys who could break man coverage, but somehow THEY got open. When I think back part of their ability to GET open came from the fact that back then, zone defenses ruled the day, These days, teams are playing man about 60% of the time and I bet that percentage goes up on 3rd and longer than 3.

The Pats have 2 guys (Sanu and Harry), who are big enough that they CAN win those 50-50 balls even when they are covered. Brady just has to believe that they CAN and overcome 20 years of doing it another way, and make the throw. That means more back shoulder fades, and more throws that require a greater level of accuracy, because he will need to "throw open"covered receivers.

So unless Bill totally BLEW it on N'Keal Harry, the "talent" at WR is good enough to be a competent passing offense. They simply have to tweek what they are doing to play to the kind of talent they have at the moment. That would be very much what they did last season.

But without Gronk, Devlin, Andrews, and Brown, they don't have the KIND of talent to be a "power" team again. But that's OK. Be what you are. Throw medium range passes to ALL your receivers. Have "man breakers" ready on 3rd down. SPREAD the damn ball around for a change, and run enough (20-25 times) to keep teams honest.

Will it be a top 5 offense? Probably not, but top 10 will be good enough to win a superbowl with this defense.

Agree. How Brady ends his career does matter, not just for the Wins and Losses but also for the lasting image we'll all carry of how he managed the gradual erosion of his effectiveness and having to face the end. Nobody is predictable in these circumstances, the toughest emotional challenge they face in a career. I hope he has the emotional intelligence to do it gracefully and thankfully. He's lived a dream of a life so far.
Nothing that happens after now (other than winning more championships) endures as the memory of Brady. The winning, the championships, the GOAT is what will be remembered.

Here's the thing that I think Brady has failed to come to grips with. For most of his career he's been throwing to guys who where "open", emphatically open. His great TD to pick ratio comes from the fact that he DIDN'T throw the ball into tight windows (for the most part) and his patience to throw it away and live for another down or series.

You can't tell me that Givens and Branch where fast and twitchy guys who could break man coverage, but somehow THEY got open. When I think back part of their ability to GET open came from the fact that back then, zone defenses ruled the day, These days, teams are playing man about 60% of the time and I bet that percentage goes up on 3rd and longer than 3.

The Pats have 2 guys (Sanu and Harry), who are big enough that they CAN win those 50-50 balls even when they are covered. Brady just has to believe that they CAN and overcome 20 years of doing it another way, and make the throw. That means more back shoulder fades, and more throws that require a greater level of accuracy, because he will need to "throw open"covered receivers.

So unless Bill totally BLEW it on N'Keal Harry, the "talent" at WR is good enough to be a competent passing offense. They simply have to tweek what they are doing to play to the kind of talent they have at the moment. That would be very much what they did last season.

But without Gronk, Devlin, Andrews, and Brown, they don't have the KIND of talent to be a "power" team again. But that's OK. Be what you are. Throw medium range passes to ALL your receivers. Have "man breakers" ready on 3rd down. SPREAD the damn ball around for a change, and run enough (20-25 times) to keep teams honest.

Will it be a top 5 offense? Probably not, but top 10 will be good enough to win a superbowl with this defense.
Brady needs to be BRADY in 3 games. He can be mortal in the first 16.

Brady needs to be BRADY in 3 games. He can be mortal in the first 16.
This is a great point, but they need to develop some chemistry with each other and start to show progress soon. As of now, both the division and home field advantage are still on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes