PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Williams interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A line consisting of Wynn, Mason, Andrew’s, Thuney, and Williams, all coached by Scar could surely be something special.
Under your hypothetical with Williams being traded for a draft pick + Cannon, I’m thinking that it would look like this going L to R:

Williams—Thuney—Andrews—Mason—Wynn

No reason to mess with the interior positions. Simply replace Cannon with Wynn and put Williams in at his natural position. This way you’re only messing with one position, and that’s Wynn to RT.

Under your hypothetical with Williams being traded for a draft pick + Cannon, I’m thinking that it would look like this going L to R:

Williams—Thuney—Andrews—Mason—Wynn

No reason to mess with the interior positions. Simply replace Cannon with Wynn and put Williams in at his natural position. This way you’re only messing with one position, and that’s Wynn to RT.
If Wynn returns from injury and becomes what we hope he can, that’s easily the best OL in the NFL. Not accounting for an unforeseen rash if injuries for injuries, coupled with our defense, we could begin booking our Super Bowl trips before the season kicks off.

If you can trade for Trent Williams in ADDITION to Cannon and Wynn you do it. Cannon, Wynn, Williams and Cajuste would be adequate tackle depth, currently our tackle depth is piss poor.

Right now there are way too many question marks to feel comfortable and this could derail and entire season. Cannon will miss games, Cajuste is still on PUP, Wynn is coming off a devastating injury and it's a lot to ask for him to step right in and play at a high level and Skipper who never played in the NFL.

I would even overpay a bit. Why? Get Williams and your SB chances are very very high. Otherwise you need to hope Cannon stays healthy, Wynn somehow gets back to 100% very quickly and doesn't need an adjustment period. Given this could be the last year of Brady (or more so the last year we have a really strong chance to go to the SB with this core) we should try everything to make it happen.

I think we need a rating for this. Maybe a little emoji of Switzerland.
Would you settle for an emoji of Swiss cheese? An emoji of Switzerland might get confused with the emoji of Lichtenstein.

If you can trade for Trent Williams in ADDITION to Cannon and Wynn you do it. Cannon, Wynn, Williams and Cajuste would be adequate tackle depth, currently our tackle depth is piss poor.

Right now there are way too many question marks to feel comfortable and this could derail and entire season. Cannon will miss games, Cajuste is still on PUP, Wynn is coming off a devastating injury and it's a lot to ask for him to step right in and play at a high level and Skipper who never played in the NFL.

I would even overpay a bit. Why? Get Williams and your SB chances are very very high. Otherwise you need to hope Cannon stays healthy, Wynn somehow gets back to 100% very quickly and doesn't need an adjustment period. Given this could be the last year of Brady (or more so the last year we have a really strong chance to go to the SB with this core) we should try everything to make it happen.
It may be difficult if not impossible to trade for and pay Williams’ salary, in addition to Cannon’s, and Mason’s. Add Andrews in, and that’s an awful lot of resources dedicated to the line, not to mention that there’s no reason whatsoever for discussion in terms of keeping Thuney.

It may be difficult if not impossible to trade for and pay Williams’ salary, in addition to Cannon’s, and Mason’s. Add Andrews in, and that’s an awful lot of resources dedicated to the line, not to mention that there’s no reason whatsoever for discussion in terms of keeping Thuney.
Been wondering if this would work:
Trade Cannon for Williams, straight up.
Extend Williams another one or two years, converting a big chunk of salary this year into signing bonus to spread the cap hit out over the new contract term.
Would that create enough space?

Extend Williams another one or two years, converting a big chunk of salary this year into signing bonus to spread the cap hit out over the new contract term.
I think they can create enough space to bring him in if they choose, but it’s hard to see them paying all of those OL (without trading someone like Cannon), and we’d basically kiss away any thought of retaining Thuney. It’s just too much salary dedicated to one position.

I’m having a hard time seeing how Williams and Cannon would both fit under the salary cap without cutting it too close.

BB hurry up and bring in Williams already! I’m tired of waiting. I can’t stand it any longer! :D

BB hurry up and bring in Williams already! I’m tired of waiting. I can’t stand it any longer! :D
You might as well find a hobby to pass the time because it ain't happening. Matchstick houses maybe? Model airplanes? Gardening?

You might as well find a hobby to pass the time because it ain't happening. Matchstick houses maybe? Model airplanes? Gardening?
Nah I’ll just stick to holding my breath; heard it’s pretty gratifying.

What about trading Cannon and a draft pick for Williams?

Is it possible?

What about peoples thoughts on sliding Thuney to RT while Wynn gets back to playing, then moving to Wynn to RT, and Thuney back to guard, while having Williams man down the LT position for the next two years, drafting a successor next year.
To start Williams is on the trading block because he wants an extension and big bucks. He is refusing to play till he gets one. He probably wants 16 million/year or more.
We have 13 million and around 8-9 million is needed for the years transactions
Trading Cannon although you save on his salary you will also have a dead money hit. Probably a wash.
If you spend the money on Williams then Thuney is gone next year.
I am content to resign Thuney and see what Wynn can do. Thuney can play LT in a pinch.
I can be wrong on the figures just my basic observation. I am no Miquel.
My only point is taking on a huge salary for a cap restricted team this late in the game is usually impossible without dumping other players salary’s. BB has set the team up with what we have now with some small changes here and there for the remainder of the season. Let’s see what happens. I have trust in him

Last edited:
What about trading Cannon and a draft pick for Williams?
I wouldn't include Cannon or any other of our OL starters in a trade for Williams because I wouldn't be improving my OL for This Season as much as I would be if I didn't have to include any of them, and our depth there would still suck...Pats are very close to being able to less painfully absorb all of his salary right now, no need to lose Cannon to accomplish it...I want 3 In A Row and Banner #7, aka One More Than Sh!tsdirt; let's worry about next season after this season is over.

Last edited:
I think they can create enough space to bring him in if they choose, but it’s hard to see them paying all of those OL (without trading someone like Cannon), and we’d basically kiss away any thought of retaining Thuney. It’s just too much salary dedicated to one position.

I have zero problem letting Thuney walk next year if it means Trent Williams is here in 2019.

I have zero problem letting Thuney walk next year if it means Trent Williams is here in 2019.
Yep; for 2020:

T.Williams - I.Wynn - Andrews - Mason - Cannon

Frodo is top backup G/C, and Cajuste is top backup SWT & Cannon's heir (we hope).

Grab another college LT somewhere during next year's draft, and we should be OK.

Last edited:
Ok, so now we've got notions like trading away Cannon for Williams, and letting Thuney go in order to have Williams.

Y'all need to lay off the booze. The entire point of bringing in Williams is to secure the LT position while letting Wynn come along slowly.

In keeping with the Best-Case Scenario regarding the WR room vis-a-vis J. Gordon, D.Thomas & C.Meredith, how would this OL room look after the bye?

T.Williams - Thuney - Andrews - Mason - Cannon
I.Wynn - Frodo - Karras - Y.Cajuste

Git 'er done, Bill.

Next up: the TE room (New Guy - Watson - Kendricks/LaCost/Izzo/Mr Anderson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes