PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown's play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was assuming for the purposes of my post. But, if we’re being honest, the Patriots will more than likely gain a healthy amount of gap room in the offseason. It’s not as substantial as you’re making it out to be.

If anything it is a far more substantial assumption than you should choose to defend. No matter how you slant it for the purposes of a post, "if we're being honest" there is a very sizeable (like 6-7X sizeable) difference between the $1.9M Brown was paid for this season and what he is likely to command in UFA money and New England's "gap room" is going to pale in comparison to what some of the perennial also rans are going to have to throw around. That is no small hurdle in terms of bringing him back and one the Pats are unlikely to feel they should sanely jump. Some damn fool organization is going to back the money truck up to his door and overpay him because that's what happens at that position. You know it, I know it, Brown's agent knows it and you can be damn sure the Pats know it.

If anything it is a far more substantial assumption than you should choose to defend. No matter how you slant it for the purposes of a post, "if we're being honest" there is a very sizeable (like 6-7X sizeable) difference between the $1.9M Brown was paid for this season and what he is likely to command in UFA money and New England's "gap room" is going to pale in comparison to what some of the perennial also rans are going to have to throw around. That is no small hurdle in terms of bringing him back and one the Pats are unlikely to feel they should sanely jump. Some damn fool organization is going to back the money truck up to his door and overpay him because that's what happens at that position. You know it, I know it, Brown's agent knows it and you can be damn sure the Pats know it.
The Patriots will more than likely part with Gronk’s salary in the offseason, maybe Cannon’s, Allen’s, and McCourty will more than likely be asked to restructure. What happens with Hightower is anyone’s guess, but mine would be they ask him to restructure as well. That’s a significant amount of cap room to take on a contract for Brown and that’s not even getting into the higher cap number for the NFL overall. That said? I don’t think they give him a new deal either. His play has been exceptionally up and down this season and he’s likely to want top OT pay. But to consider him gone from a pure cap standpoint would be folly.

Brown has trouble with speed DE's, otherwise he's above average in the other metrics. Again, there's a certain amount of "familiarity breeds contempt" going on within our fanbase.

His play has been exceptionally up and down this season and he’s likely to want top OT pay. But to consider him gone from a pure cap standpoint would be folly.

At no point did I say he is gone from a pure cap standpoint, it was your intimation that they could make a run based on perceived 'gap room' that brought that into it. It is my contention that his level of play is not up to the % of cap room he will command that makes an assumption he would return untenable. You appear to be doubling down and backtracking at the same time lol. Essentially we are in agreement it is highly doubtful Brown will be back. Arguing the point further is going to get us down to semantics and headed for Andy territory. (shudder) One thing I am sure we can agree on is given our previous discussions we should certainly show each other more respect than that.

At no point did I say he is gone from a pure cap standpoint, it was your intimation that they could make a run based on perceived 'gap room' that brought that into it. It is my contention that his level of play is not up to the % of cap room he will command that makes an assumption he would return untenable. You appear to be doubling down and backtracking at the same time lol. Essentially we are in agreement it is highly doubtful Brown will be back. Arguing the point further is going to get us down to semantics and headed for Andy territory. (shudder) One thing I am sure we can agree on is given our previous discussions we should certainly show each other more respect than that.
If he’s not going to command top OT pay, I’m absolutely down to sign him and move him to RT. You could do a lot worse than Brown. But if he is going to command top OT pay, they need to let him go. He has trouble getting downfield quickly enough in the screen game and has trouble with speed rushers. Not two qualities you want to pay top tackle money for in this offense.

As for the smart assed “gap room” quote, I’m posting from my iPhone. Technology is ******ed at times.

Brown has trouble with speed DE's, otherwise he's above average in the other metrics. Again, there's a certain amount of "familiarity breeds contempt" going on within our fanbase.
Im in this camp. Brown has not been as good as Solder at squaring up with edge rushers but I'd rather run behind Brown. All in all, he's had a good year although I seem to remember Brown taking some poorly timed penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back