PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown's play

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinator

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some opinions on his play this year from others. I think he has done pretty well, especially not hearing his name called for too many penalties overall, which is always a pretty good sign.

Do you think he is worth signing a contract extension?

Your opinions?

Last edited:
I was hoping to get some opinions on his play this year from others. I think he has done pretty well, especially not hearing his name called for penalties which is always a pretty good sign.

Your opinions?
You haven’t heard his name called for penalties? WTF? Is this going to be one of those “I just don’t know Kontra, but the Pats D doesn’t pass the eye test!” type of threads?

He hasn't gotten the quarterback killed, so he's been a decent stop gap LT...

He's not very good in picking up blocks in space. Naturally with his size it's probably not the easiest thing to do.

Your opinions?

He's been adequate, which is all we reasonably could have hoped for. The Pats didn't draft Wynn because they were expecting any more than that. Unfortunately adequate gets seriously paid at that position (see Solder, Nate for confirmation of that) so it is unrealistic as the team's cap is currently structured to think they could get him extended on the cheap

He's been adequate, which is all we reasonably could have hoped for. The Pats didn't draft Wynn because they were expecting any more than that. Unfortunately adequate gets seriously paid at that position (see Solder, Nate for confirmation of that) so it is unrealistic as the team's cap is currently structured to think they could get him extended on the cheap

My impression is that, if it weren't for Thuney and Allen/Gronk helping to "babysit" Brown, he'd look worse than he does.

If it was up to me, I'd hang back and let Brown "test the market", hoping that the Dolts or the Jete throw a gazillion dollars his way on a 5-year deal that trashes their cap space while giving the Pats a nice, juicy 3rd-round Comp pick in 2020.

I'd need to be confident that Wynn would be healthy enough to take over the LT spot, though.

And, OTOH, losing Brown would also mean the Pats would be back in the draft hunt for another OT this April, though they might be anyway.

And, OTOH, losing Brown would also mean the Pats would be back in the draft hunt for another OT this April, though they might be anyway.
I would have to imagine that there’s a pretty good chance that they’re drafting another OT. Neither has looked terribly effective in my opinion, at least not enough to where you don’t need to address it. And Waddle as a backup sounds fine enough until you actually need him to start and play well.

As you said, too many resources need to be dedicated to these guys for them to be as effective as we’d like. Subtract Gronk (and possibly Allen—or both) from the equation and things look a lot worse.

I dunno, Brown has looked adequate often with help, but if he did not sign a reasonable contract where would we be?? Not sure about Wynn at LT, so they would have to expend their draft "capital" on an unknown offensive lineman??

Make the push to sign him at a reasonable contract, and use the 1st draft pick for some front 7 defensive help..

I dunno, Brown has looked adequate often with help, but if he did not sign a reasonable contract where would we be?? Not sure about Wynn at LT, so they would have to expend their draft "capital" on an unknown offensive lineman??

Make the push to sign him at a reasonable contract, and use the 1st draft pick for some front 7 defensive help..
Oh, if Brown is willing to sign a short term, team friendly deal it’s an easy decision for another year, but I don’t think that many feel it will be possible.

I think Wynn will be given an opportunity to displace him and is likely to do so, but I think Brown could be a better fit at RT. I do no think they invest another high draft pick here with the needs at WR, DT, LB, DE. All a matter of how he is valued. Certainly he is a better Waddle, and perhaps a better Cannon.

Last edited:

Yeah. The Pats are basically in almost exactly the same situation wrt OT as they were a year ago. The starting LT is UFA and possibly unaffordable, Wynn is an unknown, Cannon's getting older, and Waddle may still be the Pats best available option as backup OT.

Ugh.

Whether or not that Pats can re-sign Brown affordably depends entirely on how other teams perceive his value to them, compared to other options they may have.

I don't see how the Pats can avoid drafting another OT, but I don't know if any of this year's class is any good.

Considering it’s only his first year starting at LT, he’s been pretty good. Had quite a few penalties recently, but that can be cleaned up with technique, coaching, reps/experience. Naturally he’s a RT, but if we’re able to keep him for the “low-low” we should. Hopefully, he’ll turn out to be our Jason Peters.

Last edited:
8 total penalties is not that bad. Brown is way down from 2016 and is likely told to hold rather than get Brady killed with a clean shot.

Trent Brown Career Penalties | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Brady helps alot by getting rid of the ball.

2018 NFL Offensive Line Rankings: All 32 teams' units after Week 10 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus
2018 OFFENSIVE LINES | Football Outsiders

Brown has started in every loss

Trent Brown 2018 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Solder has been a train wreck with the Giants.

Ranking offensive tackle duos from 32-1: Giants have NFL's worst

I think Wynn will be given an opportunity to displace him and is likely to do so, but I think Brown could be a better fit at RT. .

Exactly.

Brown has exceeded expectations.
Not sure Wynn is a LT
Wynn will be given a chance there. It all just depends on how he holds up post-injury. If Wynn can slide in at LT and knock Brown over to RT (assuming he’s back), it automatically improves the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft