PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown's play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wynn will be given a chance there. It all just depends on how he holds up post-injury. If Wynn can slide in at LT and knock Brown over to RT (assuming he’s back), it automatically improves the edges.

That's a fairly substantial assumption

I dunno, Brown has looked adequate often with help, but if he did not sign a reasonable contract where would we be?? Not sure about Wynn at LT, so they would have to expend their draft "capital" on an unknown offensive lineman??

Make the push to sign him at a reasonable contract, and use the 1st draft pick for some front 7 defensive help..

I agree completely. Get to the point in negotiations that you feel comfortable with and if it goes beyond that, hope that someone is backing the brinks so we can score, as my boy Maineman put it, a “juicy” 3rd rd comp pick. As Uptown stated, it’s his first year at LT, and he has been very adequate for us. Others have highlighted the mental lapses as of late, and the challenges he faces in space, but he has still been good for us. If we can re-sign him at a fair price, I’d love to team him up with Wynn as book ends and put Cannon back as our reserve swing tackle.

Brown has made himself some serious money this year. He will get a very nice contract next year. He will get paid, the only question is by whom.

I suspect that the Pats will let him
Move in on free agency.

Mount Brown better than Cannon.

Don’t know his future, but the fact that he may be playing himself outside of a reasonable contract in NE is a good thing. If we were all trying to push him out of town with our pitchforks, that might entail the team at this point had a lesser record. Whether he stays or leaves, would chalk it up as a successful move.

I am so worried about Wynn because of BB's poor history with injured Draft picks. I am not so sure we won't be Drafting the position again. I think resigning Mount Brown would be a Great precautionary move. We didn't really see much from Wynn who I think might be better suited at Guard when it's all said and done.

Wynn will be given a chance there. It all just depends on how he holds up post-injury. If Wynn can slide in at LT and knock Brown over to RT (assuming he’s back), it automatically improves the edges.

I am one who wouldn't mind them moving on from the often injured Marcus Cannon.

It’s a tough position to fill. As far as where he is at among some of the better LT’s is hard to judge.

Glad it’s not in my hands to make these decisions. If you overpay, you look dumb. If you let him walk and can’t fill the position with anything adequate you look dumb.

Wynn played left tackle on a historically good rushing offense and stoned dead a number of top draft picks as a pass blocker. He's a tackle until proven otherwise, regardless of what his position said on the draft tracker. Achilles are tough, but if he's healthy he'll be the starting LT next year. Brown's barely adequate, if he wants starter money then they should let him walk.

Doesn’t look like there’s anything available on the free agent market for teams looking for tackles. He’s probably going to fetch us a third round comp. I think the plan is for Wynn to be the LT. If his injury set him back, they’ll look for a tackle early in the draft.

I am so worried about Wynn because of BB's poor history with injured Draft picks. I am not so sure we won't be Drafting the position again. I think resigning Mount Brown would be a Great precautionary move. We didn't really see much from Wynn who I think might be better suited at Guard when it's all said and done.

You're saying BB is now predicting his draft pick's injuries?

s-l300.jpg

Wynn played left tackle on a historically good rushing offense and stoned dead a number of top draft picks as a pass blocker. He's a tackle until proven otherwise, regardless of what his position said on the draft tracker. Achilles are tough, but if he's healthy he'll be the starting LT next year. Brown's barely adequate, if he wants starter money then they should let him walk.

Gotta disagree on the Brown is barely adequate part. I thought for we gave up and got back from Brown is fair. Yes he has had his gaffs but atleat we wasn't paying him Millions. I was happy they didn't invest long term on Nate Solder. A Tackle who Brady made look good.:rolleyes:

We need to re-sign Brown. Wynn would then be a serious upgrade over Waddle. We would have 6 starters on the OL.

If not, we HOPE that Wynn can play as well as Brown, to break even compared to this year's fine OL.

I would say Brown has been a solid starter while not elite. Top 15/20 LT which means he is gonna get paid by someone. He does a very reasonable job pass blocking, though as with most men his size, he can get caught flat footed by a speed rush. His run blocking is hit or miss, strait up power rushing if he gets his mitts on you, you are going backwards in a hurry. On sweeps or having to get a man in space he looks awkward and takes bad angles frequently.

I would offer him a 3 year deal for 30 mil, 6 mil signing bonus with 10 guaranteed. Basically he will be a starting tackle next year with strong reasons to keep him year two assuming he continues to play well but not married to him if he gets lazy/fat once he is paid. If he gets tons more then that, and I assume some crap team with money to blow will, then I say thanks for the year of starting service and best of luck to you anytime you are not playing the pats.

That's a fairly substantial assumption
I was assuming for the purposes of my post. But, if we’re being honest, the Patriots will more than likely gain a healthy amount of gap room in the offseason. It’s not as substantial as you’re making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back