PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, let’s wait until the season halfway done and then ask for a first round pick, now that half the teams are out of contention.

Now that I am 30...I really feel like I outgrew Twitter. Although most of my sports news comes from there. The 16-20 year old Pats fans on there are just pathetic. It's "Need OBJ now!" Before it was "Diggs!!!!" Now it's "trade everything for this guy!!!"

Literally any shiny object they see on TV or if Brady talks to OBJ it's..."Yeah they are deff trading for him"

Twitter is the central **** pipe of humanity...

Hey, let’s wait until the season halfway done and then ask for a first round pick, now that half the teams are out of contention.

Really did you expect any less? Its Washington, Dan and Bruce were just waiting until it was obvious they weren't making the playoffs.;)

Last edited:
I hope tomorrow is interesting

I hope tomorrow starts with OJ Howard coming here so I'm not on the damn tweetering all day.

Not sure how Trent Williams is gonna help the Browns penalty woes.

I hope Patriots somehow get Trent Williams. That will solidify the OL, don't push Wynn too hard and also give flexibility to move Wynn to RT if need be..

One scenario: Patriots give 1st-round, 3rd-round.
Patriots get 2nd-round + Trent.
Patriots extend contract to 4yrs, pushing $$ later.

IMO

I hate this. They not only get a proven good player on a rookie deal but also a pick on top for a TE that for whatever reason can't get on the field ?
First let me ask you one question. If you were Arians, would you take that deal? If the answer is YES, then I'll give you the reasons to make it happen. If the answer is no, then just ignore everything that follows. ;)

1. Book on O.J. Howard: Most complete TE prospect in 10 years.

If you believe even HALF of what is given in this report, then the risk is worth it.

2. And if you believe just half of what was in that report you have to ask the 2 questions, WHY hasn't he lived up to the potential? And is it HIS fault? If Saban confirmed to BB his potential, than I'd contend that the QB was a problem and now the TE averse HC isn't helping either. BTW- this is TB, luuked, there have been a LOT of good players who's careers have died anonymous deaths in that dumpster fire of a franchise since 2002.

3. Then lets look at what we are giving up. Jackson cost us nothing to acquire. He developed much like Butler did before him. IIRC, as an UDFA he will be a FA after next season, just like Howard. No doubt he's be starting for a lot of other teams, but not only would he be used to get another starting quality player at a position of need; we have a quality REPLACEMENT for Jackson on the roster that we will control until after the 2023 season. And at 6'4 he COULD be a more impactful CB/DB than Jackson.

BTW- Has Williams given you a SINGLE reason to believe that he couldn't be a productive part of this secondary from what he's shown during preseason AND in his few brief chances so far?

4. I think that is a FAR better alternative than the #1 pick so many are willing to give up for Howard.

5. If it made you feel better I'd try to get Howard straight up for Jackson, and then use lower picks as sweeteners all the way up to one of the THREE 3rd round picks we currently own.

First let me ask you one question. If you were Arians, would you take that deal? If the answer is YES, then I'll give you the reasons to make it happen. If the answer is no, then just ignore everything that follows. ;)

1. Book on O.J. Howard: Most complete TE prospect in 10 years.

If you believe even HALF of what is given in this report, then the risk is worth it.

2. And if you believe just half of what was in that report you have to ask the 2 questions, WHY hasn't he lived up to the potential? And is it HIS fault? If Saban confirmed to BB his potential, than I'd contend that the QB was a problem and now the TE averse HC isn't helping either. BTW- this is TB, luuked, there have been a LOT of good players who's careers have died anonymous deaths in that dumpster fire of a franchise since 2002.

3. Then lets look at what we are giving up. Jackson cost us nothing to acquire. He developed much like Butler did before him. IIRC, as an UDFA he will be a FA after next season, just like Howard. No doubt he's be starting for a lot of other teams, but not only would he be used to get another starting quality player at a position of need; we have a quality REPLACEMENT for Jackson on the roster that we will control until after the 2023 season. And at 6'4 he COULD be a more impactful CB/DB than Jackson.

4. I think that is a FAR better alternative than the #1 pick so many are willing to give up for Howard.

5. If it made you feel better I'd try to get Howard straight up for Jackson, and then use lower picks as sweeteners all the way up to one of the THREE 3rd round picks we currently own.

Umm, Gronk was drafted in 2010. Less than 10yrs... o_O

We need to do what we have to to get OJ Howard here in New England… This guy would be a huge play maker here… He’s got speed ...power ...incredible hands… Great blocker… I would agree with sending a first and third in exchange for him and one of their 2nds coming back .....

Then lets look at what we are giving up. Jackson cost us nothing to acquire. He developed much like Butler did before him. IIRC, as an UDFA he will be a FA after next season, just like Howard.
Just to clarify, Ken: OJ Howard is halfway through his rookie contract, meaning that he is under control for up to 2.5 more years if the 5th year option is picked up. As we know from past experience, that’s not a given with Belichick, but the potential is there to control him until spring of 2022.

JC Jackson will be a RFA in 2021, although I don’t think that it necessarily matters as to how he was acquired (to your point about it costing the team nothing). He seems like a solid starting CB for both now and the future. I’m not as high on Howard as you are, but in this case, I’d prefer to swap a first for Howard + a high round pick in exchange (second or third coming back) over losing JC Jackson.

I hope Patriots somehow get Trent Williams. That will solidify the OL, don't push Wynn too hard and also give flexibility to move Wynn to RT if need be..

One scenario: Patriots give 1st-round, 3rd-round.
Patriots get 2nd-round + Trent.
Patriots extend contract to 4yrs, pushing $$ later.

IMO
I'm hoping the Redskins will pay his salary off as a bonus to help cap issues and make the trade viable. If they get what they need in draft picks, the Redskins might be willing to do that. Williams has been somewhat injury prone, btw. Overall, I'd prefer to go after Howard. It would be easier cap-wise.

Just to clarify, Ken: OJ Howard is halfway through his rookie contract, meaning that he is under control for up to 2.5 more years if the 5th year option is picked up. As we know from past experience, that’s not a given with Belichick, but the potential is there to control him until spring of 2022.
Even better

J Jackson will be a RFA in 2021, although I don’t think that it necessarily matters as to how he was acquired (to your point about it costing the team nothing). He seems like a solid starting CB for both now and the future. I’m not as high on Howard as you are, but in this case, I’d prefer to swap a first for Howard + a high round pick in exchange (second or third coming back) over losing JC Jackson.
Are you sure about that? For some reason I thought UDFA's are under control for only 3 years. I could be wrong of course.... it's happened. ;)

BTW- I get not wanting to lose Jackson. I don't either, but for me its a matter of market economics. We have an area of surplus, that they need, and they have a surplus at an area that we need. If I thought I could acquire Howard with a RB, or core special teamer, I'd do that. But Arians needs to be able to justify this trade to himself and his fan base. I don't think anonymous future draft picks will do the trick.

As to your questioning whether Howard is worth it, then OK. That judgement would always be a legit reason in my eyes. But if Howard can just block well, he'd be worth it to me for the package I mentioned. Maybe we should send Izzo and Tomlinson along with Jackson if that's what it took. ;)

We need to do what we have to to get OJ Howard here in New England… This guy would be a huge play maker here… He’s got speed ...power ...incredible hands… Great blocker… I would agree with sending a first and third in exchange for him and one of their 2nds coming back .....

he’ll be an all pro with Brady throwing to him

Naw I think wynn is the real deal. Him being healthy is what’s important.
I hope so. We really only saw him for a game and a half but has to be better than Newhouse for sure

Actually, I'd prefer going after the Eagles 4th year pro OT Halapoulivaati Vaitai than I would Williams at this point. Should be achievable cap-wise. He'd be a one year rental.

It seemed to me that this year trades have been much more prevalent then in years past, but wasn't sure if it was my imagination. Nope. Last year in the month of October there were 8 trades, so far this year 13.

Yodny Cajuste has been the biggest mystery. Had quad surgery back in March. I think the guy has massive potential but we might not see him this year. We sure could use some depth.

Scarnecchia announced that this is basically a Red Shirt year. We won't see him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back