PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are other excellent thread on QB, but I wanted to focus on a single issue.

WE HAVE A NEED FOR A QB FOR 2021!!!
How can it NOT be worth a 2nd to be able to have an excellent team in 2021.
Jimmy would be paid $26M, $25M AAV over 5 years ($25M bonus plus $1M salary) for a $6M cap hit . Surely the parties can work this out.
We would not be committed to Jimmy for 2022 or thereafter; we could trade him or cut him.

THIS NEED NOT AFFECT ANY DECISIONMAKING FOR THE DRAFT
If we don't believe that Jimmy is a LT answer, we would still do our best to trade up for a QB (or stay or trade down, as you would before the trade).
BTW, this way Lance becomes an even a better prospect, since he may not be ready to start early in 2021.

Supposedly, they offered a 2nd and SF said no Maybe that's changed now, post SF leap up the boards.

I'd offer a third + Cam or a second, sure, if I thought JG was the guy to take the team forward.

Supposedly, they offered a 2nd and SF said no Maybe that's changed now, post SF leap up the boards.

I'd offer a third + Cam or a second, sure, if I thought JG was the guy to take the team forward.
I was going to say that we already offered a 2.

I don't think that Jimmy is the one to take the team forward.

If Bill believed that, the #15 would be long gone.

There are other excellent thread on QB, but I wanted to focus on a single issue.

WE HAVE A NEED FOR A QB FOR 2021!!!
How can it NOT be worth a 2nd to be able to have an excellent team in 2021.
Jimmy would be paid $26M, $25M AAV over 5 years ($25M bonus plus $1M salary) for a $6M cap hit . Surely the parties can work this out.
We would not be committed to Jimmy for 2022 or thereafter; we could trade him or cut him.

THIS NEED NOT AFFECT ANY DECISIONMAKING FOR THE DRAFT
If we don't believe that Jimmy is a LT answer, we would still do our best to trade up for a QB (or stay or trade down, as you would before the trade).
BTW, this way Lance becomes an even a better prospect, since he may not be ready to start early in 2021.

Define “WE“

Jimmy the Glass has had 1 successful season out of 7. You don’t trade a 2nd rd pick and pay a guy with that kind of history. If we can get him on a low risk fair deal, go for it. A 2nd and that kind of money though? No thanks.
Exactly my thoughts Thanks.

Jimmy the Glass has had 1 successful season out of 7. You don’t trade a 2nd rd pick and pay a guy with that kind of history. If we can get him on a low risk fair deal, go for it. A 2nd and that kind of money though? No thanks.
Cam starting and keep our 2nd
Jimmy starting and no second
==========
For me, the choice is very easy, and I don't see Jimmy as a more than 1 year solution..

==========
For me, the choice is very easy, and I don't see Jimmy as a more than 1 year solution..
Then why give them a second rd pick if he is only here for 1 year ? Esp since the Chance of him playing 16 games isn't that high

==========
It’s not that I don’t think Jimmy is a better QB at this point than Cam. It’s that I have zero confidence the team would get a full season out of the guy. He cannot be counted on.

Offering Cam and a third may be less attractive to the 49ers than just a third without Cam.

==========
One more scenario.

1 No 2nd
2 No Jimmy because he is injured
3 Cam starting

Anyway that you slice it Cam is going to start. Jimmy could not last 4 games when Brady was suspended. Suddenly he is going to be the paragon of good health? Riiigghtt. He gets hurt combing his hair.

because making us a playoff team is worth a 2nd?
I can understand the point but i hope a third/fourth will do it with a combination. Bc the only reason for the 49ers to trade jimmy is their cap hit rn. I can easily see them keeping jimmy as the vet starter day 1. In that case a second will not be enough. So if the 49ers are interested, it implies to me that they don't want to keep JG and see the rookie as day 1 starter so JG would either get cut or traded which leaves them in a bad position

It’s not that I don’t think Jimmy is a better QB at this point than Cam. It’s that I have zero confidence the team would get a full season out of the guy. He cannot be counted on.

His 6 completions and 77 passing yards in the NFCC at home in California weather wont get it done in the AFC.

What happens when its 20 degrees, 15 mph wind and snowing?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back