PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 5 As Usual Or One Of The Worst in 20 Years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s always a top offense because of brady. I just wanna see how it does against some of the best defenses in the nfl like the jaguars. Hogan as great as he has been has struggled breaking off man coverage before. Edelman is coming off ACL. We need him to be the same Edelman before the injury.

The patriot offense has been top 4 in scoring for 8 consecutive years. It has not scored less than 441 points (27.2 per game) in that time.

Gronk
Edelman
Hogan
White
Patterson
Dorsett
Michel
That is not thin. The top 4 WRs can play. We never use wr5 so why does it matter that we don’t have one?
What top defenses? Our schedule is no more loaded with good defensive opponents than anyone else, probably less because of our division.
Other than jville and Minnesota where do you see top defenses on our schedule.
There is no way in hell there are 10 better offenses.
The ol has 1 change.

So 10-15 other teams will whoop good teams and stay healthy?
It Tom Brady.

One injury to one of the top 4 and they could be in trouble. Also i like hogan but he needs to show the ability to beat man coverage. You’re also hoping Edelman can be the same guy who used to put up 1000 yards.

It’s always a top offense because of brady. I just wanna see how it does against some of the best defenses in the nfl like the jaguars. Hogan as great as he has been has struggled breaking off man coverage before. Edelman is coming off ACL. We need him to be the same Edelman before the injury.

Against JAX they scored 24 points and had 344 yards of offense without Gronk, Jules and Burkhead.

Figure the same number or better with those players and without DA, Cooks and an about-the-same running game.

Itll be top 5 barring a long term brady or gronk injury. In 2013 where our wr lineup was complete crap, we still averaged 31+ ppg when gronk was in(not counting the cle game where he exited early). This year at worst case scenario where patterson/dorsett/mccarron are all useless we are still ahead of that offense.

Edelman today should be > Edelman 2013 but we’ll see how he is coming off the acl.

Hogan >>> the 2nd best wr in 2013

White and burkhead are both > vereen

Running game is better this year which will help.

Last edited:
Without Edelman and vs Houston and Jacksonville they'll look bad on offense. Brady will have his usual 4 to 5 yards/attempt game vs good defenses shorthanded. Hogan won't be able to get open and they'll be in the 20-30% range on third down...

Gronk
Edelman
Hogan
White
Patterson
Dorsett
Michel
That is not thin. The top 4 WRs can play. We never use wr5 so why does it matter that we don’t have one?
What top defenses? Our schedule is no more loaded with good defensive opponents than anyone else, probably less because of our division.
Other than jville and Minnesota where do you see top defenses on our schedule.
There is no way in hell there are 10 better offenses.
The ol has 1 change.

So 10-15 other teams will whoop good teams and stay healthy?
It Tom Brady.

The OL has one change but it's a major one, especially given how shaky Thuney was next to LT

I'm not counting on Michel, Patterson or Dorsett for much and Gronk, Edelman and Hogan have durability concerns

Look, if everyone stays healthy and if Brown is a great LT, it's a great offense. I don't think that's likely though. They're relying heavily on injury plagued guys (one of whom is suspended for PEDs and coming off a major injury) and guys who have busted elsewhere. What happens if Gronk or Edelman goes down as they've been prone to doing? You're confident in Patterson and Hollister? Or are you just high on the chances that Gronk and Edelman stay healthy all year?

The OL has one change but it's a major one, especially given how shaky Thuney was next to LT

I'm not counting on Michel, Patterson or Dorsett for much and Gronk, Edelman and Hogan have durability concerns

Look, if everyone stays healthy and if Brown is a great LT, it's a great offense. I don't think that's likely though. They're relying heavily on injury plagued guys (one of whom is suspended for PEDs and coming off a major injury) and guys who have busted elsewhere. What happens if Gronk or Edelman goes down as they've been prone to doing? You're confident in Patterson and Hollister? Or are you just high on the chances that Gronk and Edelman stay healthy all year?
If there are injuries they will adapt. It’s Tom Brady.
This has been a top offense forever becausrvif him with ups and downs in personnel and injuries.
You want to dismiss half the players and expect the other half to get injured.

What are you predicting 8-8?

As long as we have Tom Brady we are top 5, although I expect things to be a little bumpy out of the gate without Edelman.

Without Edelman and vs Houston and Jacksonville they'll look bad on offense. Brady will have his usual 4 to 5 yards/attempt game vs good defenses shorthanded. Hogan won't be able to get open and they'll be in the 20-30% range on third down...
When has Brady had 4-5 ypa as his “usual”?

Hogan was 4/68 with 2 TDs vs Houston last year. 4/95 against them in the 2016 playoff game. We scored 34+ both times. Brady’s ypa was 9.1 (with 7 Td passes).
They converted 41% 3rd downs.

Basically everything you said is wrong.

Best QB of all time.
Arguably best TE of all time.
2nd best kick returner of all time (yards per return--second only to Gale Sayers).
Best coach of all time.
Hall of Fame OC.

I think they'll be ok.

Best QB of all time.
Arguably best TE of all time.
2nd best kick returner of all time (yards per return--second only to Gale Sayers).
Best coach of all time.
Hall of Fame OC.

I think they'll be ok.
One of these is not like the others.

As long as we have Tom Brady we are top 5, although I expect things to be a little bumpy out of the gate without Edelman.
Bumpy? It might get downright ugly. I’m okay with winning ugly in the first four weeks though.

I can imagine there's going to be some big hissy fits here when Dorsett or Patterson are in the wrong place and Brady throws a few balls into the dirt.

I think it'll be top five again, and good enough for a 8th (that right?) consecutive appearance in the AFCCG.

It would be nice to have the year-to-year consistency that some teams have at WR (or seem to). That's probably the most unsettling thing this year.

And, most teams would be dread to have the too small, too slow, 7th rounder/UFDA Edelman and Hogan as your best two WRs, but these are the guys the GOAT has made a legacy on.

Do we have a top 5 passing team as usual, or one of the worst in 20 years? IMHO, choose our backup gameday OL's and this is our usual top offense.

OFFENSE (23)
QB: Brady, Hoyer
WR: Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson
TE: Gronkowski, Allen, Hollister
RB: White, Bulkhead, Michel, Hill
FB: Develin
OL: Brown, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon, open, open
ST: Slater, Bolden
================

They should be just fine. Though let's remember that the first four weeks are like preseason for the Pats, so it probably will look very rough at the start. But once they're clicking.... they'll put up huge points and yards.

And, most teams would be dread to have the too small, too slow, 7th rounder/UFDA Edelman and Hogan as your best two WRs, but these are the guys the GOAT has made a legacy on.

I imagine most teams would also dread having a unathletic 6th rounder as QB...

Amazing how some players exceed their draft position. Never understand why this is always raised as a positive for Brady but used as a negative against his receivers.

IMO, we will have a top 5 offense in terms of scoring/yardage....

But I think we will move the ball differently...more rushing behind Mason...more passing to the backs...more usage of Burkhead/Patterson via passes/hand offs...

I think there will be bumps to smooth over...but we'll have something working by mid-season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes