PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 100 debate Brady vs Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really thought Brady would of been known as the better QB if we beat the Colts last year. It was a huge debate before the game between the two and Brady outplayed Manning for 3 quarters. The defense just got gassed and Manning was able to smoke them for 21 points coming out on top.

If you were to somehow find some people who were familiar with football as a sport but not with Brady or Manning in particular and laid out the evidence for each, I'd bet a paycheck that the overwhelming majority would point to Brady as the historically better QB.

However, fans can't avoid the bias. Announcers/analysts like and respect Brady, but they love Manning. For example, he gets effusive praise for things like winning a few games with a few different no-name receivers this year (not counting the future HOF-er, of course :rolleyes:), when Brady has done it, apparently unnoticed, for his entire career. Manning came off a minor knee surgery, played like ass for half a season, and wins MVP. Brady comes off major knee surgery, has his second-best year (with numbers that surpassed Manning's MVP campaign), and everyone thinks he underperformed.

Conversely, any facts that could be used to diminish his image in any way (the dome advantage, for example, or the awful playoff numbers) are never addressed. He never gets called out for throwing blame around. Brady gets killed for "choking" in the SB when the last time he touched the ball with a real chance to do anything, he put them ahead...Manning throws the sealing pick-6 in the SB, and people fall all over themselves to blame the receiver.

Manning does a zillion commercials and is down to Earth, Brady marries a supermodel, still avoids the spotlight as much as possible, and is "too Hollywood" (even to a lot of dummy Pats fans).

Manning gets superhero nicknames like "Captain America" from guys with mancrushes ("The Sheriff?" Really, Jon?). Brady's still seen as a system QB by a disturbing number of people.

He's that guy some of us know who's made of Teflon. He's very good at his job most of the time, but no matter how he screws up, nothing sticks to him. Everyone else thinks he can do no wrong, and you keep wondering why. Tomlinson's another one.

That's just the way it is.

Personally, I would never want him over Brady. Ever. Especially when it gets cold. :D

Two thoughts:

One, I think this list would be a lot more interesting if it were limited to retired players and then updated after every season when a current star retires. It's impossible, for example, to make a final assessment of "Brady vs. Manning" until their playing days are over. A new addition could be made anywhere on the list and the bottom guy drops off.

Two, without the Teflon Helmet catch, there's no way that they can put Tom Brady with four rings in the Cap and FA era behind either Favre or Manning.

If Tyree doesn't make his one-in-a-million lucky catch, or if the obvious holding was called, or if the earlier INT wasn't dropped, etc. etc. etc.

Tom would be in the top 5 for sure.

WIth the reloading of the roster the Pats will have a championship roster for the rest of Brady's career and I think he will have another 2-3 rings. There will be a list for the 100year anniversary of the NFL (~10 years).

Brady will end up as either as a top 3 QB (along with Montana, Unitas and Baugh) So we will see how the rest of his career unfolds, 7 sb appearances, highest winning % for a QB most wins and 6 Rings will seal the deal. IMHO.

Last edited:
If you were to somehow find some people who were familiar with football as a sport but not with Brady or Manning in particular and laid out the evidence for each, I'd bet a paycheck that the overwhelming majority would point to Brady as the historically better QB.

However, fans can't avoid the bias. Announcers/analysts like and respect Brady, but they love Manning. For example, he gets effusive praise for things like winning a few games with a few different no-name receivers this year (not counting the future HOF-er, of course :rolleyes:), when Brady has done it, apparently unnoticed, for his entire career. Manning came off a minor knee surgery, played like ass for half a season, and wins MVP. Brady comes off major knee surgery, has his second-best year (with numbers that surpassed Manning's MVP campaign), and everyone thinks he underperformed.

Conversely, any facts that could be used to diminish his image in any way (the dome advantage, for example, or the awful playoff numbers) are never addressed. He never gets called out for throwing blame around. Brady gets killed for "choking" in the SB when the last time he touched the ball with a real chance to do anything, he put them ahead...Manning throws the sealing pick-6 in the SB, and people fall all over themselves to blame the receiver.

Manning does a zillion commercials and is down to Earth, Brady marries a supermodel, still avoids the spotlight as much as possible, and is "too Hollywood" (even to a lot of dummy Pats fans).

Manning gets superhero nicknames like "Captain America" from guys with mancrushes ("The Sheriff?" Really, Jon?). Brady's still seen as a system QB by a disturbing number of people.

He's that guy some of us know who's made of Teflon. He's very good at his job most of the time, but no matter how he screws up, nothing sticks to him. Everyone else thinks he can do no wrong, and you keep wondering why. Tomlinson's another one.

That's just the way it is.

Personally, I would never want him over Brady. Ever. Especially when it gets cold. :D

Congratulations, Fixit. You have won the thread. Excellent work.

The biggest debate is Brady should be rated higher than Brett Farce.... he should be close with Manning , but Manning is a great a player even the most loyalist pats fans have to admit that...

I don't know....I look at the colts and for the most part, the rest of the roster has typically been crap.

this year, without manning, they're lucky to be a 2 win team.

I think manning believes he will get whatever he wants out of the colts because the moment he is gone, its over for that franchise. they will be a likely candidate to move within 5 years of the end of mannings career.

I don't think the Tyree catch hurt Brady's stock nearly as much as Matt "not even good enough to be a college QB" Cassell winning 11 games the following year with the same squad.

Um guys, you're failing to realize that Manning has won the league MVP FOUR times! That's never been done before.
MVP=Most Valuable Player
What is valued in the NFL? Winning.
What is the goal each season? To win the Super Bowl.
Obviously, the MVP of the league is the player that helps his team win the Super Bowl. They decide this by a very precise mathmatical formula that 100% proves who is the BEST and then they award it to them after they win the Super Bowl.

Manning is the team and plays for a way less famous coach ...

That give's the appearance as Fixit says of super hero ...

Oh well ... Brady will have to win 4 rings to mannings one just to get them to reconsider. :rolleyes:

NFL Videos: Top 100: The greatest debate

Starts at about 1.50 in, Dukes suggests that Brady should possibly be higher than Manning.

jamie dukes is such an idiot. a few weeks ago he was on the record saying that brady is no way better than elway or marino - now he says he's better than manning? someone get this guy off NFLN.

I'd share my opinion about the whole Peyton vs. Brady thing, but I think I'm just a little outnumbered when it comes to people who agree with me on a Patriots message board.

I'll say this though. I do fear for that franchise once he's gone.

Brady's a top 5 all-time QB. Manning is not.

Using that as a starting point, it's ridiculous to put Manning ahead of Brady on the all-time player list.

The biggest debate is Brady should be rated higher than Brett Farce.... he should be close with Manning , but Manning is a great a player even the most loyalist pats fans have to admit that...

Heck, I'll go so far as to admit that Manning is better.*

*regular season only.:)

Brady's a top 5 all-time QB.

I think Tom Brady's overall long term stock rises and falls not whether TB gets another ring but how well Matt Cassell and the Chiefs do.

The strongest case against Tom Brady is 7th round pick that hadn't played since high school came off the bench and won 11 games. If in the end Matt Cassell is judged to only be a mediocre QB, than that is very strong case that Brady is not elite but just very good in an elite system. OTOH, if Matt Cassell goes on to have a HOF career or close to it that knock goes away.

I think Tom Brady's overall long term stock rises and falls not whether TB gets another ring but how well Matt Cassell and the Chiefs do.

The strongest case against Tom Brady is 7th round pick that hadn't played since high school came off the bench and won 11 games. If in the end Matt Cassell is judged to only be a mediocre QB, than that is very strong case that Brady is not elite but just very good in an elite system. OTOH, if Matt Cassell goes on to have a HOF career or close to it that knock goes away.

From 16 wins against a very difficult schedule down to 11 wins (and no playoffs) against a very easy schedule. That's not meant as a knock on Cassel, who was starting for the first time since high school and still managed to get the team to 11 wins, but that's a huge dropoff.

Brady got to 100 wins faster than any QB in NFL history. After all these decades, you don't do that if you're not top shelf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes