PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Corrente Pulls a Mike Tomlin

The alleged taunt:

I know it doesn't look like much, but one clue is another player on his team goes up to him and tries to get his attention focused away from the PIT bench, yet Marsh continues to stare them down, and presumably is shyte talking them the whole time.

The refs are being told taunting is a point of emphasis, and yes, they do get graded after each game, so given all that, I can see why the ref called the play the way he did.

I can also see why most fans see this as ticky-tack stuff that should be let go, or some sort of warning should be issued instead of a game-changing penalty.

The alleged taunt:

I know it doesn't look like much, but one clue is another player on his team goes up to him and tries to get his attention focused away from the PIT bench, yet Marsh continues to stare them down, and presumably is shyte talking them the whole time.

The refs are being told taunting is a point of emphasis, and yes, they do get graded after each game, so given all that, I can see why the ref called the play the way he did.

I can also see why most fans see this as ticky-tack stuff that should be let go, or some sort of warning should be issued instead of a game-changing penalty.

Maybe he was warned. But DaBears are a have-not franchise and the Steelers are. They're going to get the calls. It sucks but that's the way it is.

any time you have a game official who wants to be part of the show, it sets up poorly

we've seen it in MLB, we've seen it in the NBA, we've seen it in the NFL.......the best officials are generally the ones you don't notice, that keep their head down and do it well

A few years ago, our biggest gripe was 50/50 pass interference occasionally deciding games. Now? There are about 5X more times when games are decided by procedural garbage like weak roughing the passer (called inconsistently), unsportsmanlike conduct, taunting, etc. Not joking when I say the last 5 or so non-Pats games I’ve watched have contained so many of these calls which may have decided the game. The calls and non-calls are so inconsistent and ruin the experience.

They need to change the penalties to losing players (suspensions or kicked out of the game), huge fines, and even consider awarding the yardage for field position but no change in down/distance. Especially for unsportsmanlike conduct and minor “roughing the passer.”

This is the worst I’ve ever seen the product, and it gets worse every week. I have little doubt the postseason will an epic failure. Refs are truly deciding the games based on what they happen to think they see, and what they decide to selectively enforce. The game is becoming less about who plays football better and more about who behaves appropriately/avoids random, unintended contact.
I agree, and even one of the roughing calls in our NE-CAR game was debatable even if it helped us.

I agree something like taunting shouldn't be a change in down/distance. It should be more like hockey, stick the player in the penalty box for a series or two, let him think about what he just did. Yet some would argue that this isn't enough of a deterrent. Maybe disqualification for a quarter? Half a quarter? Yet, what do you do if the starting QB gets called? That would totally change a game, so no matter what the situation the team losing the QB would complain.

Maybe he was warned. But DaBears are a have-not franchise and the Steelers are. They're going to get the calls. It sucks but that's the way it is.
Very well could be, and in this case Corrente is from the PIT area so some are alleging he's biased in their favor. Who knows?

I did see a great special where someone (Peter King?) followed a referee around for a week, mostly to learn what kind of prep they do for a game. What he really learned was how intensely focused the refs are on the post-game grades issued by the league. The grades are how the refs earn their way into playoff games, which are not just big paychecks but also huge amounts of prestige.

They get bad grades if they miss calls, which IMO is why we see so many flags. There is no aspect of the grade that focuses on things like in-game experience. There's no penalization for stopping the game for long reviews. There is penalization if you get a review wrong, so that's why they take forever. These things are now baked into their union contract, so they are hard to change.

It's a second job for almost all the refs so they are really just in it for the prestige. Many are lawyers, which fits the mind set one needs to know thousands of rules. It's slowly changing to younger people who are professional refs, usually two-sport so an NFL ref can be doing other ref jobs they squeeze in around their games once their schedule is published.

Clip courtesy of the superior Twitter search skills of @Ice_Ice_Brady.

A ref demonstrating his animus towards a player or team like this is garbage. Although, maybe the lopsided penalty yards in this game in favor of the Steelers, rather than the hip check, was more telling of bias (12 penalties, 115 years against the Bears vs. 5/30 against the Steelers).

If these ostensibly impartial officials show this little self-control and maturity when their only motivation should be to call a fair game, what should we expect from them when they're approached by unsavory figures to call a game a certain way?

Looks like the players didn't like the hip check either: Bears call out officials for 'B.S.' taunting penalty, 'hip-check' after controversial close loss to Steelers

They showed the replay a few times and none of the announcers ever mentioned how the ref backed into Marsh (though it couldn't happen to a nicer guy). Nothing. Not one peep. Or did I miss it? Nope, but they did mention through-out the game the penalty discrepancy and how some calls were questionable. Chicago did line up in the neutral zone several times and they could've called a couple more of those.

They showed the replay a few times and none of the announcers ever mentioned how the ref backed into Marsh (though it couldn't happen to a nicer guy). Nothing. Not one peep. Or did I miss it? Nope, but they did mention through-out the game the penalty discrepancy and how some calls were questionable. Chicago did line up in the neutral zone several times and they could've called a couple more of those.
He was penalized for taunting. Not contacting the ref.

The taunting call may have been technically correct and Inspector Javert felt he had no choice but to throw the flag

He was penalized for taunting. Not contacting the ref.
Yeah, I know that. It was for taunting, from 40 yards away from Pitt's bench and not saying anything. I was making a point how the announcers didn't even mention him backing into Marsh, even though "the replay" clearly showed he did.

Yeah, I know that. It was for taunting, from 40 yards away from Pitt's bench and not saying anything. I was making a point how the announcers didn't even mention him backing into Marsh, even though "the replay" clearly showed he did.
Did you see the players coming from that sideline onto the field and closing the distance? Did you hear what he was saying or not saying? Did you not see his teammate tell him to knock it off and get off the field?

I just don't understand this taunting stuff. I would understand if they're flagging really flagrant things like standing over someone on the ground and screaming obscenities or throwing them the bird or something, but like... starting down the opposing sideline? What? They can't take EMOTION out of the game, and if they ever do, it'll become unwatchable (it already borderline is).

Sorry guys, I re-read the first post and should have been more clear the flag wasn't for contact. The Marsh penalty was the seminal moment in the game, but I should know not everyone watched it. A weak writers' mistake, my brain is turning to mush during this vacation!

Notwithstanding, I'm still outraged a ref would do something so petty as to go out of his way to hip check a player. Destroys any appearance of impartiality.

I just don't understand this taunting stuff. I would understand if they're flagging really flagrant things like standing over someone on the ground and screaming obscenities or throwing them the bird or something, but like... starting down the opposing sideline? What? They can't take EMOTION out of the game, and if they ever do, it'll become unwatchable (it already borderline is).
NJFL made it a "point of emphasis", refs have no choice but comply or be downgraded and potentially not get picked for playoff games.

As usual, it goes back to NJFL making decisions without thinking through the consequences.

Meanwhile, the Omissioner makes $128M in two years because the players signed an ownership friendly deal and big media has pretty much nothing else to invest in that provides any ROI.

It's a great gig if you can get it. Massive rewards when things go well, no downside when things do not.

Yet he's gradually killing the goose laying the golden eggs:
  • Too many games weakening the product overall.
  • Too many playoff games weakening the regular season.
  • Too many "media partners" means too many subscriptions to buy into to remain a fan.
  • Poor in-stadium experience due to excessive commercial breaks.
  • Too many long stoppages in play due to long replays.
  • Too many fouls being called (ticky-tack QB hits, taunting)
  • Too many fouls not being called (OL and DBs holding every play).
  • Getting in bed with gambling houses, bound to cause blowback.
  • Uneven player discipline (Brady vs Rodgers)
Sooner or later the goose will die the death of a thousand cuts.

Marsh was recently cut by Pittsburgh. After the sack he walked towards the Pittsburgh sideline, actually getting in the path of the Pittsburgh punter coming onto the field. He wasn't celebrating - that's something you do with your own team, not the opposing team. Not to mention the "Who's your daddy now?" swagger. Absolutely was taunting. Look at his teammate trying to get him off the field.

The guy is an idiot - he's the same character who complained that the Pats wouldn't let him eat his lunch in meetings.

Remember when Corrente did this?

In the playoffs!!!!!
Fug this guy and his absurd follow through on the flag throw like he's part of the game or an actual athlete on the basketball court who just hit a big shot. All you are is an obstacle in the way of enjoying people with actual talent play the game. Put your ****ing arm down and make yourself as invisible as possible you moron.

Did you see the players coming from that sideline onto the field and closing the distance? Did you hear what he was saying or not saying? Did you not see his teammate tell him to knock it off and get off the field?
How do you know hos teammate said that? Looked he was congratulating him.

Fug this guy and his absurd follow through on the flag throw like he's part of the game or an actual athlete on the basketball court who just hit a big shot. All you are is an obstacle in the way of enjoying people with actual talent play the game. Put your ****ing arm down and make yourself as invisible as possible you moron.
Speaking of "taunting", Corrente should get fined for it. He's literally staring down players while flagging them like some kind of fake tough guy.

FAIL

"Justin on Twitter: "Minkah Fitzpatrick uses the truck stick on Justin Fields. https://t.co/QZ29BqnMxu" / Twitter"

FAIL. Did you watch it? He leads with his shoulder, Fields dips his shoulder to meet the hit, their helmets collide incidentally. It shows exactly what I said it did.

He needs to be fired 100%. This is absolutely disgraceful.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back