PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Corrente Pulls a Mike Tomlin

Jlaff

Early Bird Specials
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Clip courtesy of the superior Twitter search skills of @Ice_Ice_Brady.

A ref demonstrating his animus towards a player or team like this is garbage. Although, maybe the lopsided penalty yards in this game in favor of the Steelers, rather than the hip check, was more telling of bias (12 penalties, 115 years against the Bears vs. 5/30 against the Steelers).

If these ostensibly impartial officials show this little self-control and maturity when their only motivation should be to call a fair game, what should we expect from them when they're approached by unsavory figures to call a game a certain way?

Looks like the players didn't like the hip check either: Bears call out officials for 'B.S.' taunting penalty, 'hip-check' after controversial close loss to Steelers

Im interested to see how much attention this gets. If that happened in foxboro im sure people wouldn’t drop it as long as the patriots were in contention this year

BS call, situation needs to be taken on face value.. nobody is right if everybody's wrong.

Last edited:

A ref demonstrating his animus towards a player or team like this is garbage. Although, maybe the lopsided penalty yards in this game in favor of the Steelers, rather than the hip check, was more telling of bias (12 penalties, 115 years against the Bears vs. 5/30 against the Steelers).

If these ostensibly impartial officials show this little self-control and maturity when their only motivation should be to call a fair game, what should we expect from them when they're approached by unsavory figures to call a game a certain way?

Looks like the players didn't like the hip check either: Bears call out officials for 'B.S.' taunting penalty, 'hip-check' after controversial close loss to Steelers

If this was anybody but Cassius Marsh ... but lets be honest... guy is a turd

There has to be more to this.

Marsh is a certified idiot wackjob. Not sure what he was thinking. So to avoid a more direct hit, he moved his right arm but could have easily moved a step to the left.

The ref clearly was looking for contact. He could have easily moved a 1/2 a step forward.

Two morons with egos and not a brain between them

There was also a sequence on the gl when they overturned a bears td on a bs ol infraction, then a couple plays later ignored a clear roughing on fields which should have made it first and goal. Bears had to kick a fg. Someone had money on Pittsburgh

That is BS. Even if Corrente was unaware of Marsh and they ran into each other, that shouldn't be a penalty. Accidentally bumping into a referee isn't a penalty. It is clear that Marsh wasn't intentionally trying to bump into Corrente.

They aren't going to fire Corrente, but he should be banned from reffing in the playoffs this year.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to watch the NFL. It is entertainment and a ton of money is at stake for 32 billion dollar owners. With the legalized gambling, I think it is fair to wonder how much the sport is rigged.

Too many non calls against the pee yellow and black to count. I saw 75 yards in penalties easy.

1 - Fields was hit helmet to helmet getting out of bounds. The shove out of bounds would have drew 2 penalties if it was Mahomes.
2 - Fields was hit in the head after he slid on a run thereby giving himself up. The announcer said "Well, hes a runner"
3 - A Fields pass was long gone and he was in the pocket when he was knocked to the turf after being tackled from behind.
4 - The Pitt OL was holding all night. Especially the Left Tackle who was flat out tackling the Bear DL to the ground like it was WWE.

Cross-posting this from the other games thread:

My sense was he threw the flag for what Marsh did BEFORE being bumped by him. After the sack (really just a cleanup tackle, BTW), Marsh took several steps toward the Steelers bench with a "How do you like me now?" stare, then walked backward before turning around and brushing the ref. Yes, it probably should've been overlooked and was a cheap call, but Marsh was being stupid and his intention was clear.

You can see Corrente's head was turned watching Marsh before Marsh turned around and as the commentator mentioned, Corrente already was reaching for his flag before the bump.

I didn’t watch the game. Was that what the flag was for or was it for something else?

EDIT: Looks like @Tunescribe already answered.

Cross-posting this from the other games thread:

My sense was he threw the flag for what Marsh did BEFORE being bumped by him. After the sack (really just a cleanup tackle, BTW), Marsh took several steps toward the Steelers bench with a "How do you like me now?" stare, then walked backward before turning around and brushing the ref. Yes, it probably should've been overlooked and was a cheap call, but Marsh was being stupid and his intention was clear.

You can see Corrente's head was turned watching Marsh before Marsh turned around and as the commentator mentioned, Corrente already was reaching for his flag before the bump.

Correct. Corrente threw the flag for TAUNTING, not bumping into the ref. Marsh looked like he was taunting the Pitt sideline after the sack. Corrente made it worse by deliberately bumping into Marsh with a hip check, making it look like he was being biased. It was stupid of Corrente, and there would not no controversy had he just thrown the flag without making the contact.

That is BS. Even if Corrente was unaware of Marsh and they ran into each other, that shouldn't be a penalty. Accidentally bumping into a referee isn't a penalty. It is clear that Marsh wasn't intentionally trying to bump into Corrente.

They aren't going to fire Corrente, but he should be banned from reffing in the playoffs this year.

The penalty was for taunting the Pitt sideline. People who are waking up this morning, including myself, thought the flag was for contacting an official, which it's not. Corrente created this controversy himself.

I didn’t watch the game. Was that what the flag was for or was it for something else?

the flag was for marsh staring / taunting the Steelers sideline after his sack. Their punter was also in that direction as he came onto the field

the flag was for marsh staring / taunting the Steelers sideline after his sack. Their punter was also in that direction as he came onto the field
So it’s a nothing burger, then. That’s a shame. I was looking forward to being outraged. Oh well.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back