PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Corrente Pulls a Mike Tomlin

Too many non calls against the pee yellow and black to count. I saw 75 yards in penalties easy.

1 - Fields was hit helmet to helmet getting out of bounds. The shove out of bounds would have drew 2 penalties if it was Mahomes.

No. The defender led with his shoulder and Fields lowered his shoulder to meet him. The helmet contact was incidental, that's why it wasn't called.

Cross-posting this from the other games thread:

My sense was he threw the flag for what Marsh did BEFORE being bumped by him. After the sack (really just a cleanup tackle, BTW), Marsh took several steps toward the Steelers bench with a "How do you like me now?" stare, then walked backward before turning around and brushing the ref. Yes, it probably should've been overlooked and was a cheap call, but Marsh was being stupid and his intention was clear.

You can see Corrente's head was turned watching Marsh before Marsh turned around and as the commentator mentioned, Corrente already was reaching for his flag before the bump.

Ok. Now it made sense. I didn’t see the game. So I am going on what I see here. Based on the OP and the audio in the video. I thought people were accusing Corrente of manufacturing a penalty. That changes everything.

If this wasn’t a crucial penalty and there wasn’t another controversial penalty, I bet no one would be talking about it today. This is much ado about nothing. The low block penalty that negated a TD where people say there was no contact based on the video seems to me to be the real controversy of the game.

That is BS. Even if Corrente was unaware of Marsh and they ran into each other, that shouldn't be a penalty. Accidentally bumping into a referee isn't a penalty. It is clear that Marsh wasn't intentionally trying to bump into Corrente.

They aren't going to fire Corrente, but he should be banned from reffing in the playoffs this year.
There were absolutely atrocious calls favoring the Steelers in this game, but this call was for taunting, not for running into the ref

Ok. Now it made sense. I didn’t see the game. So I am going on what I see here. Based on the OP and the audio in the video. I thought people were accusing Corrente of manufacturing a penalty. That changes everything.

If this wasn’t a crucial penalty and there wasn’t another controversial penalty, I bet no one would be talking about it today. This is much ado about nothing. The low block penalty that negated a TD where people say there was no contact based on the video seems to me to be the real controversy of the game.

Well, the taunting call itself was pretty sketch too. I just rewatched it and Marsh stared down their sideline but that was about it. It also is odd to see a ref hipcheck a player, so I can see why the whole situation is getting attention

Remember when Corrente did this?

In the playoffs!!!!!

Sorry, that call was warranted…

Correct. Corrente threw the flag for TAUNTING, not bumping into the ref. Marsh looked like he was taunting the Pitt sideline after the sack. Corrente made it worse by deliberately bumping into Marsh with a hip check, making it look like he was being biased. It was stupid of Corrente, and there would not no controversy had he just thrown the flag without making the contact.
I don't know that there would be no controversy. It was still an incredibly dumb enforcement of an incredibly dumb rule.

I don't know that there would be no controversy. It was still an incredibly dumb enforcement of an incredibly dumb rule.

the players should know, especially half way into the season, that the league is cracking down on taunting. Call it a dumb rule, but it’s a rule nonetheless. Tuck rule was stupid too but correctly called vs Oakland

Well, the taunting call itself was pretty sketch too. I just rewatched it and Marsh stared down their sideline but that was about it. It also is odd to see a ref hipcheck a player, so I can see why the whole situation is getting attention

Marsh walked a few seconds toward the Steelers sideline with his "stare down," that was his mistake.

Gotta say, coming at this cold and without reading this thread but just looking at the clip, I don't see the ref lean to make contact, I see the ref in the act of trying to get the flag out so bending his hips a bit like we all do when we try to get stuff out of our front pockets.

I also see a player who has plenty of room go tight on the ref, presumably because he wants to intimidate him.

IMO its incidental contact at best, player's fault at worse.

This feels to me like the media egging on the mob i.e. media doing what media seems to think is its job these days.

Flag on Will Brinson for taunting!

Maybe watching it in real time in the heat of the moment would make me feel differently, but I don't give ESPN any of my money, especially not to watch gimpy, pudgy old Ben waddle and limp around the field.

Now I'm gonna go back and read some comments...

I don't think he purposely hip checked the guy. It isn't like he moved to get in Marsh's path.

Didn't see the taunting penalty or lack there of. So I cannot speak to that.

I don't think he purposely hip checked the guy. It isn't like he moved to get in Marsh's path.

Didn't see the taunting penalty or lack there of. So I cannot speak to that.

It’s tough to tell for sure. But he did lean back into him when he could’ve easily leaned the other way as he saw marsh coming by

The ref clearly was looking for contact. He could have easily moved a 1/2 a step forward.
From what I saw, one could easily come to the conclusion that the player had plenty of space and was looking to intimidate the ref.

Two morons with egos and not a brain between them
I agree.

That is BS. Even if Corrente was unaware of Marsh and they ran into each other, that shouldn't be a penalty. Accidentally bumping into a referee isn't a penalty. It is clear that Marsh wasn't intentionally trying to bump into Corrente.
C'mon man, he's already in the act of throwing the flag when the contact happens so the flag is NOT for contact, it's for taunting!

The penalty was for taunting the Pitt sideline. People who are waking up this morning, including myself, thought the flag was for contacting an official, which it's not. Corrente created this controversy himself.
Corrente gave an interview after the game saying it was for taunting not for contact, so while he created the taunting controversy he did not create the contact controversy by throwing the flag, he was already throwing the taunting flag when the contact happened.

He also says taunting is a "point of emphasis" i.e. the refs are being told by the NJFL to clamp down on taunting.

This is NJFL at work.

Brinson makes the good point that just as the NFL is jumping in bed with the gambling industry they're also giving the refs tools that can swing games.

Yet another shyte sandwich from Park Avenue.

Remember when they banned TD celebrations?
NJFL wants to have its cake and eat it too.

Grumpy old owners like the Maras did not want/like celebrations. Old school fans and owners said why celebrate, you're just doing what you're paid to do, a big play is just like another car coming off the assembly line, why celebrate?

Younger fans and NJFL media types realize that celebrations add flair to the proceedings, even at the risk of allowing some fairly cringy celebrations that do seem to be excessive to a lot of fans.

Now that celebrations are allowed, the refs are being told to emphasize that taunting is not allowed. So, somehow the refs have to decide in real time if a player's celebration crosses the line of taunting his opponent.

And young players who have been working their butts off all week in practice so want to celebrate finally doing something useful and are coached to show aggression have to also figure out in real time while the adrenaline is flowing what is an allowable celebration vs a forbidden taunt.

Given the refs are by appearance quite often grumpy old men, many actually are lawyers, and they have strong union protection, most of them are biased towards throwing the flag.

It's a shyte sandwich of an arrangement.

Kind of makes one want to ban celebrations all over again, but that genie is out of the bottle and ain't going back in.

Clip courtesy of the superior Twitter search skills of @Ice_Ice_Brady.

A ref demonstrating his animus towards a player or team like this is garbage. Although, maybe the lopsided penalty yards in this game in favor of the Steelers, rather than the hip check, was more telling of bias (12 penalties, 115 years against the Bears vs. 5/30 against the Steelers).

If these ostensibly impartial officials show this little self-control and maturity when their only motivation should be to call a fair game, what should we expect from them when they're approached by unsavory figures to call a game a certain way?

Looks like the players didn't like the hip check either: Bears call out officials for 'B.S.' taunting penalty, 'hip-check' after controversial close loss to Steelers

A few years ago, our biggest gripe was 50/50 pass interference occasionally deciding games. Now? There are about 5X more times when games are decided by procedural garbage like weak roughing the passer (called inconsistently), unsportsmanlike conduct, taunting, etc. Not joking when I say the last 5 or so non-Pats games I’ve watched have contained so many of these calls which may have decided the game. The calls and non-calls are so inconsistent and ruin the experience.

They need to change the penalties to losing players (suspensions or kicked out of the game), huge fines, and even consider awarding the yardage for field position but no change in down/distance. Especially for unsportsmanlike conduct and minor “roughing the passer.”

This is the worst I’ve ever seen the product, and it gets worse every week. I have little doubt the postseason will an epic failure. Refs are truly deciding the games based on what they happen to think they see, and what they decide to selectively enforce. The game is becoming less about who plays football better and more about who behaves appropriately/avoids random, unintended contact.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back