PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Sources made 'clear to me' decision to move on from Belichick made after Germany game

I mean everyone has heard my conspiracies by now but yeah. I think Bill knew but Kraft twisted his arm and said we need to give him one more year with an OC he's comfortable with. So Bill set it up for Mac and kept playing him until he was a shell of himself, then pulled him for Zappe who is probably a quality backup at best but looks better and more confident than Mac despite the system being set up for Mac and not him, and playing with worse receiving talent, even though the narrative all year was that Mac is bad because he has no weapons.
I mean the original decision to take Corky.

Who made the call?

We don't even know if Mayo would be trusted to be the GM to begin with. He's still extremely inexperienced to get that much control if he does indeed become HC.
I don't think they'd give a new guy GM duties like Bill has. Bill seems to have a lot of help but gets final say, I don't think they give Mayo final say.

I don't think they'd give a new guy GM duties like Bill has. Bill seems to have a lot of help but gets final say, I don't think they give Mayo final say.
Then the discussion becomes....

"is the other big hire going to be Kraft bringing in a whole new GM that will have a lot of control". Because I really don't know if it's a good idea to saddle a GM with a coach he didn't pick.

There have been a lot of bright people who owned teams but had no football knowledge or background.

Hiring coaches is like playing Russian Roulette in reverse: 5 bullets in, one empty.
Yup!

If all of these people who want BB gone get their wish, they may discover hiring a winning HC is not as easy as just wanting one.

Then the discussion becomes....

"is the other big hire going to be Kraft bringing in a whole new GM that will have a lot of control". Because I really don't know if it's a good idea to saddle a GM with a coach he didn't pick.
Good question, maybe for next year they keep the front office as is, I don't know how they make it work.

Good question, maybe for next year they keep the front office as is, I don't know how they make it work.
But Bill is the one making those decisions now, so they are either keeping it the same and giving Mayo those duties or they are giving some in house guy those duties. So you have a problem where it's a GM who did not go in with the HC.

I think you need that partnership to be tight.

That's how you build a champion. Instead of taking Quentin Johnston or Jackson Smith-Njigba, you take Christian Gonzalez. Instead of taking Jayden Reed, Rashee Rice or Marvin Mims, you take Keion White.

Great players are how you win championships, whereever they are on the field. Teams that are just filling needs are taking a short-term approach and will forever flirt with .500
Or taking Richard Seymour instead of David Terrell.

BB got roasted after that pick.

Ron Borges: "If you didn't know better, you'd think the Jets sent Bill
Belichick north to destroy the Patriots from within. On a day when they
could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the
second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia
defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the
pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play
defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where
they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and
settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon unless last
year's draftees Adrian Klemm and Greg Robinson-Randle are busts."
its very telling how its the same this yr. People are clamoring for WRs and he picked a defensive guy in the first round.

BB got rid of Seymour and got roasted for that too. He was also getting roasted before he came here as GM/HC. And now he's getting roasted for the current state of the team.

its very telling how its the same this yr. People are clamoring for WRs and he picked a defensive guy in the first round.
I wonder if Borges even plagiarized that famous take from somewhere...

Ask yourself why this is put out now, rather than later. I will give Curran the benefit of the doubt here that he does have sources telling him this. Who benefits from this getting out there now?
Currans sources disappeared when Brady left and he didn’t have Guererro as his source anymore.

He’s also been fueling the to get BB fired for years as have other Boston media personalities. Curran can’t stand that BB doesn’t answer his questions as Curran thinks he should.

Currans sources disappeared when Brady left and he didn’t have Guererro as his source anymore.

He’s also been fueling the to get BB fired for years as have other Boston media personalities. Curran can’t stand that BB doesn’t answer his questions as Curran thinks he should.
LOL, every time I see your username, this song starts playing in my head, and "Fatman" replaces "Jamie" in the lyrics:

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1

That was at the beginning of Bill's career and he had had a bad experience in Cleveland. There were doubters everywhere.

Now he's a very successful but older GM/HC of 25 years whose team is floundering near the bottom of the league after 4 straight years of poor play. Basically he has earned the criticism he's getting now. He didn't before.

BB got rid of Seymour and got roasted for that too. He was also getting roasted before he came here as GM/HC. And now he's getting roasted for the current state of the team.
How was he getting roasted before he came here?

In his previous 4 gigs, he had the team trending up each and every time: Giants, Browns, Patriots, Jets.

In his previous 4 gigs, he had the team trending up each and every time: Giants, Browns, Patriots, Jets.
He wasn't the GM or the HC for either of the NY teams. He was Tuna's boy.

Bill was getting roasted by the media before he got here, both in NY (he's unstable) and Boston (he's duplicitous pond scum). There were also Pats fans who didn't want him. Hopefully the new guy will also surprise everyone.

And keep in mind the Browns he had trending up became the Ravens thus trending up further, not the sad sack nouveau Browns that moved into the empty nest.

Bill was getting roasted by the media before he got here, both in NY (he's unstable) and Boston (he's duplicitous pond scum). There were also Pats fans who didn't want him. Hopefully the new guy will also surprise everyone.
Its one thing to roast the new guy since he didnt do much before .But borges picked patriots to lose 70-0 in the 2001 SB. How does the local media in the name of objectivity constantly bring down its teams? I dont get it.

Boston's media sucks.

I don't trust them on anything.

The fans of New England saw him turn this defense around in 1996. They saw him beat the Patriots and Parcells in 1994. They saw him turn around the Jets with Parcells in 1998. His reputation here was sky high.

As for NY media, they were jilted. They cried.

Man is that spot on in every way.

I remember hearing an agent many years ago who determined that athletes would make a lot more if they dropped the name athlete and starting to look at themselves as entertainers. That also came up in an article I read about Fox's move into the NYFL in the 90's. Let me see if I can find that. Yup, here it is. It's very interesting but long.

What a piece of history. Probably dismissed or ignored by most football fans. I certainly don't recall it. Thank you for the read.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back