PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

The Bucs need to re-sign Brady to get any relief from his dead cap. In fact they need to do it fairly soon. Right now the Bucs are $55M over the cap, $35M of that is Brady dead cap money. It's money they already paid him but kicked the cap hit for to the coming season.

To get some relief TB would need him to sign a min salary (@$1.2M) contract for 2023, then they need to process his retirement after June 1.

That would cut Brady’s cap charge to @ $12M million for 2023. If he then retires (meaning filing paperwork) after June 1. Tampa could then take the hit as @ $11M million in dead money for 2023 pushing @ $24M in dead money to 2024. The hitch for Brady is that would mean Tampa would once again control his rights.

As it stands right now he says he's done but if he got a Corleone type offer he could say yes. If he gives Tampa some cap relief he also gives them control over his rights. If the stories about last year's retirement hold any water I doubt he'd be inclined to throw the Bucs front office a life line.
That’s all correct. But I believe if he retires there’s some clause where they can shift 24m (of the 35m) to 2024 leaving only 11m for 2023. That’s without resigning to a fake deal. But my point was if he signs w another team bucs are on hook for all 35 this year 2023. So question was what’s implication of a 1 day deal to sign w us. Does bucs then absorb all 35

That’s all correct. But I believe if he retires there’s some clause where they can shift 24m (of the 35m) to 2024 leaving only 11m for 2023. That’s without resigning to a fake deal. But my point was if he signs w another team bucs are on hook for all 35 this year 2023. So question was what’s implication of a 1 day deal to sign w us. Does bucs then absorb all 35

Could be but I don't see how they can designate his retirement to a time he will be a FA.
Florio has it figured that way too:

Out with the wife today. She wanted to go see 80 for Brady. I wanted to wait for it to be on Netflix but I just picked up a new 70 inch TV so how could a football movie be a bad compromise
Place was packed. Problem was out of 80 seats. 78 of them were all women. 90% of those 78 came in with their own blanket and was washing down their tapioca with ensures. Movie is a chick flick except for the last 20 minutes which was the 28-3 comeback. I give it 2 out of 5 stars. Would have gave it 1 star but it got an extra star because the mens room was empty

Condolences. At least now you know more about what you are capable of enduring.

Condolences. At least now you know more about what you are capable of enduring.
Good One Reaction GIF

PATRICK PASS???? Is this some kind of sick joke?
Hope Charlie Weiss doesn't see this. He hated the kid.

Boston media is criticizing the whole one day contract thing. But I don't get why.

no one complained when the Celtics didn't for Paul Pierce or countless other teams did it.

Out with the wife today. She wanted to go see 80 for Brady. I wanted to wait for it to be on Netflix but I just picked up a new 70 inch TV so how could a football movie be a bad compromise
Place was packed. Problem was out of 80 seats. 78 of them were all women. 90% of those 78 came in with their own blanket and was washing down their tapioca with ensures. Movie is a chick flick except for the last 20 minutes which was the 28-3 comeback. I give it 2 out of 5 stars. Would have gave it 1 star but it got an extra star because the mens room was empty
Yea, I doubt you were one of the targeted audiences. Lol

How did the comeback scenes look like on the big screen?

Yea, I doubt you were one of the targeted audiences. Lol

How did the comeback scenes look like on the big screen?
They were very brief. Showed quick clips of the TD’s, 2 point conversions, Hightower strip sack, and Ryan sack to put them out of FG range. Won’t tell you how the the women in the movie actually created the comeback. We will all watch it because we are PatsFans. Truthfully I did not watch a trailer and know what the movie was about other than 4 eighty year old women adored Brady. I felt like eye candy in their lol

I hear what you're saying. I still think his desire to play would trump anything else.

Brady can still play at a high level (just look at that week 17 clinic), but to continue to play at a high level, he first needs the commitment (to get all of the many things done to remain at a high level). I suspect he doesn't feel up to the commitment anymore, which probably has to do with 1) his age, 2) the disheartening season he just experienced, and 3) mental and emotional exhaustion from 2 and his personal tribulations.
I think you are 80% there.

Yes, he doesn't want to go through all the physical prep he would have to do To play an nyjfl season.
The part you sorta left off here is that at his age it is that prep is that much harder.

The other big piece you are missing, is that GotoHell has screwed up the game. Between the 17 game season and other issues w biased refs stupid rules etc. biggest is the 17 games. How many teams had ONLY 1 qb play the whole season? SF had 4. OLs across the league can't hold up for all those games. Making them sieves for at least a couple games. And again at his age; ANY INJURY could very well be a season ender. If SF could not protect 4 20 year olds; how well will a nearly 50 do?

Then there is the kid argument others brought up (you say-personal tribulations) Left coast & FL just don't match up well.

I hink he is pretty rational to quit while ahead

They were very brief. Showed quick clips of the TD’s, 2 point conversions, Hightower strip sack, and Ryan sack to put them out of FG range. Won’t tell you how the the women in the movie actually created the comeback. We will all watch it because we are PatsFans. Truthfully I did not watch a trailer and know what the movie was about other than 4 eighty year old women adored Brady. I felt like eye candy in their lol
I wasn't going to watch it, but I just might to relive the moment. I'd also like to see who is in the audience.

I wasn't going to watch it, but I just might to relive the moment. I'd also like to see who is in the audience.
Rico have at it. I have to say I did get pumped up a bit bringing back that magic moment.
It is a movie about women humor. I did not want to fall asleep or leave. Just not my type of flic.

I think you are 80% there.

Yes, he doesn't want to go through all the physical prep he would have to do To play an nyjfl season.
The part you sorta left off here is that at his age it is that prep is that much harder.

The other big piece you are missing, is that GotoHell has screwed up the game. Between the 17 game season and other issues w biased refs stupid rules etc. biggest is the 17 games. How many teams had ONLY 1 qb play the whole season? SF had 4. OLs across the league can't hold up for all those games. Making them sieves for at least a couple games. And again at his age; ANY INJURY could very well be a season ender. If SF could not protect 4 20 year olds; how well will a nearly 50 do?

Then there is the kid argument others brought up (you say-personal tribulations) Left coast & FL just don't match up well.

I hink he is pretty rational to quit while ahead
His age is the first thing I mentioned.

I agree with everything else you said except for the last part about him "quitting while he's ahead." I think he should play 1 or 2 more seasons with either SF or LVR.

I'm not entirely convinced SF doesn't get him to "unretire" for a second time, I put 25% on the chances of that. LVR (and everywhere else) is off the table entirely now.

Despite some reports I don't believe he had any consideration of playing for toilet bowles ever again.

Someone who understands cap management better than me… could he sign a one-day contract extension with the Bucs to give them the cap they need but limits their rights so he can sign elsewhere if he wants?
No. It's complicated but basically if Brady signs a new contract with Tampa Bay then he would be tied to them unless they trade him before the trade deadline or release him after (at which point Brady would pass through waivers which would be interesting).

The only way Brady signs a new contract with Tampa Bay to provide them cap relief for the 2023 season is if he's 1000% convinced he's not coming back. And he would have to do it before his current contract voids in March.

I'm hoping he tells Tampa Bay to FO and becomes a FA because that will indicate he's leaving the door slightly open for a return to the NFL next season. It also means Tampa Bay is probably tanking next season with Gabbert and toilet bowles.

Offensive line is weak
Two names, John Hannah, Leon Gray. Two more words, plus steroids. (Hannah was 6'2 265. Leon Gray, 6'3, 256. They're giving up half a foot in height and 100 pounds to Trent Green, just for example)
Sad. In their era they were the ****.

No. It's complicated but basically if Brady signs a new contract with Tampa Bay then he would be tied to them unless they trade him before the trade deadline or release him after (at which point Brady would pass through waivers which would be interesting).

The only way Brady signs a new contract with Tampa Bay to provide them cap relief for the 2023 season is if he's 1000% convinced he's not coming back. And he would have to do it before his current contract voids in March.

I'm hoping he tells Tampa Bay to FO and becomes a FA because that will indicate he's leaving the door slightly open for a return to the NFL next season. It also means Tampa Bay is probably tanking next season with Gabbert and toilet bowles.
Dude. He's just not that into us. LOL

Tom's gone, and if somehow he's not, it'll be the bolt from the blue kind of thing. Maybe one his screenings of 80 for Brady will remind him of his REAL team. Ya think? Actually I don't.

Also, check today's headlines.

Tom Brady Sr: Why Tom Brady's retirement was inevitable

Tom Brady: I'm Putting You in the Crooked Home from 60 Minutes

His age is the first thing I mentioned.

I agree with everything else you said except for the last part about him "quitting while he's ahead." I think he should play 1 or 2 more seasons with either SF or LVR.

I'm not entirely convinced SF doesn't get him to "unretire" for a second time, I put 25% on the chances of that. LVR (and everywhere else) is off the table entirely now.

Despite some reports I don't believe he had any consideration of playing for toilet bowles ever again.
Ever heard the saying, build it and they will come? I think if SF, LV, or Miami make an all in SB roster attractive to the needs of a 46yo QB, I think there's a small chance. But they'll have to commit to going all in first, and if Brady declines, go for plan B,. Maybe Roger's.

Ever heard the saying, build it and they will come? I think if SF, LV, or Miami make an all in SB roster attractive to the needs of a 46yo QB, I think there's a small chance. But they'll have to commit to going all in first, and if Brady declines, go for plan B,. Maybe Roger's.
With Brady actually announcing his "retirement for good", you would have to believe LVR is definitely out because they're too far away from a SB roster (defensively) and Las Vegas is literally too far away from his kids.

Miami probably can't build a true championship contending roster with the AFC being so strong at the very top (KAN, CIN & BUF) but Miami is a location fit so I wouldn't put 0% on it. Maybe 5%.

SF is 25% because they already have a SB roster and the 49ers are Brady's dream team. Still odds are Brady's NFL career has come to an end. Flushed down the toilet bowles. So to speak.

I disagree. TB took a risk on Tom and gave him everything he asked for. Both benefitted greatly from their relationship. Then they went all in mortgaging their future to give Tom (and them) a chance at another ring. The least Tom can do is resign to help them shift $24M of his dead cap to 2024. I don't see why he wouldn't.

I disagree. TB took a risk on Tom and gave him everything he asked for. Both benefitted greatly from their relationship. Then they went all in mortgaging their future to give Tom (and them) a chance at another ring. The least Tom can do is resign to help them shift $24M of his dead cap to 2024. I don't see why he wouldn't.
You disagree Brady should keep his options open in case he changes his mind?

Sure, he's probably not ever playing again, but how could you say there's a 0% chance he changing his mind. He should let his contract void, become a FA, and keep all options open. Like you said, Tampa Bay benefited greatly from their relationship with Brady. He doesn't owe them anything.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back