PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

Burt Breer just said pretty bluntly that the door was open to go to the 49ers on the TEAM end of things but Brady determined he couldn't do it because, reading between the lines based off what Breer then said, Giselle basically won't let him take the kids out to California for extended periods of time so he'll basically never get to see them. That's why when the Dolphins said they're going with Tua the situation really did come down to either Tampa or retirement because he had to stay local to see his kids. Which...that legitimately makes me angry. Like very angry. What a...not good woman I'll just say that.

And if you don't believe Albert Breer then that's your problem, he is a legit source that's actually reinforcing gossip that I've alluded to.
This sounds like ******** to me (sorry Albert). Unless Gisele has full custody of the two younger kids (older son Jake is another set of circumstances), she can't tell Tom he can't take the kids to California for periods of time. Also, these kids are in school, right? I'm pretty sure it was recently reportedly that Tom and Gisele were looking at elite private schools in the Miami area. The NFL season aligns with the start of the school year so the kids wouldn't be in California for "extended periods of time" anyway.

They'll never be anything more important in your life than your kids, but Brady's kids are 15, 13 & 10 and their entire lives he's been a professional athlete. It's what they're all familiar with and it's afforded them many life advantages. If Brady plays 1 or 2 more seasons for San Francisco then I doubt it would shatter their lives.

Fresh off the divorce is an allowable variable where Tom may be thinking his kids have been through something difficult so he wants to be around them. However, playing for the 49ers is a lifelong dream of his and if they're "opening their door" for him to quarterback their all-star team for 1 or 2 seasons before he actually retires then he's jumping allover that. It's too great an opportunity for a competitor like Tom to pass up.

Splitting hairs, but I think you overestimate how many players are self starters. Elite, top of the food chain types? Absolutely. What's the % of those players in the league? (rhetorical, let's not start parsing that. Jesus.) Even if it's 10-20 guys per roster, that leaves the rest of the 53 man roster that are just jags.

Again, I think we are splitting hairs. In the end, I am going to lean that more guys need to be coached up than you are, even the elites.

There are tons of current and former NFL players who have skated on pure physical talent while lacking passion for the game.

Last edited:
Arians turned 70 in October and he's had some cardiac health problems over the last couple of years. That seems likely to have been his true motivation to retire. I don't know exactly how Brady feels about Arians but he's publicly praised him on many occasions. Brady doesn't say **** about Bowles. Because I think he hates Bowles with a passion.
One of the things I admire about Brady is that he’s so good about knowing how his public comments are going to play in social media and radio and tv. He never says something trashy, even when you know he’s thinking it. I know he really regretted his comments about Manning’s career being almost over when his phone records got leaked.

Reactions: Ian
you mean 2003-2019. i mean 2005 was wrapped up (lol bears) barring an epic meltdown

Does it F the bucs w dead cap if he signs w us before official retirement? I know the dead cap is smaller if he retires but does he have to retire as a Buc

The Bucs need to re-sign Brady to get any relief from his dead cap. In fact they need to do it fairly soon. Right now the Bucs are $55M over the cap, $35M of that is Brady dead cap money. It's money they already paid him but kicked the cap hit for to the coming season.

To get some relief TB would need him to sign a min salary (@$1.2M) contract for 2023, then they need to process his retirement after June 1.

That would cut Brady’s cap charge to @ $12M million for 2023. If he then retires (meaning filing paperwork) after June 1. Tampa could then take the hit as @ $11M million in dead money for 2023 pushing @ $24M in dead money to 2024. The hitch for Brady is that would mean Tampa would once again control his rights.

As it stands right now he says he's done but if he got a Corleone type offer he could say yes. If he gives Tampa some cap relief he also gives them control over his rights. If the stories about last year's retirement hold any water I doubt he'd be inclined to throw the Bucs front office a life line.

This sounds like ******** to me (sorry Albert). Unless Gisele has full custody of the two younger kids (older son Jake is another set of circumstances), she can't tell Tom he can't take the kids to California for periods of time. Also, these kids are in school, right? I'm pretty sure it was recently reportedly that Tom and Gisele were looking at elite private schools in the Miami area. The NFL season aligns with the start of the school year so the kids wouldn't be in California for "extended periods of time" anyway.

They'll never be anything more important in your life than your kids, but Brady's kids are 15, 13 & 10 and their entire lives he's been a professional athlete. It's what they're all familiar with and it's afforded them many life advantages. If Brady plays 1 or 2 more seasons for San Francisco then I doubt it would shatter their lives.

Fresh off the divorce is an allowable variable where Tom may be thinking his kids have been through something difficult so he wants to be around them. However, playing for the 49ers is a lifelong dream of his and if they're "opening their door" for him to quarterback their all-star team for 1 or 2 seasons before he actually retires then he's jumping allover that. It's too great an opportunity for a competitor like Tom to pass up.
As you said the school year aligns with the NFL season. So if they are going to school in Miami, practically they will have to be there. I guess they could fly out to SF for the weekend. But TB is just a little bit busy then. And its a pretty long flight to hardly be able to see them.

If Tom is living in SF then he basically would be unable to see his kids at all for 5 months. This also hold true for LV.

The Bucs need to re-sign Brady to get any relief from his dead cap. In fact they need to do it fairly soon. Right now the Bucs are $55M over the cap, $35M of that is Brady dead cap money. It's money they already paid him but kicked the cap hit for to the coming season.

To get some relief TB would need him to sign a min salary (@$1.2M) contract for 2023, then they need to process his retirement after June 1.

That would cut Brady’s cap charge to @ $12M million for 2023. If he then retires (meaning filing paperwork) after June 1. Tampa could then take the hit as @ $11M million in dead money for 2023 pushing @ $24M in dead money to 2024. The hitch for Brady is that would mean Tampa would once again control his rights.

As it stands right now he says he's done but if he got a Corleone type offer he could say yes. If he gives Tampa some cap relief he also gives them control over his rights. If the stories about last year's retirement hold any water I doubt he'd be inclined to throw the Bucs front office a life line.
I believe they just need to designate his retirement a post Jun-1 one to accomplish everything you said cap wise w/o the need to re-sign him. I may be wrong. He would have to agree though.

I believe they just need to designate his retirement a post Jun-1 one to accomplish everything you said cap wise w/o the need to re-sign him. I may be wrong. He would have to agree though.

They can't designate his retirement past the end of this league year unless he is signed. His current contract auto-voids in mid March

They can't designate his retirement past the end of this league year unless he is signed. Their rights expire with the end of this league year
I thought they did that with Jules (or was that an injury thing) or someone else (Chung maybe?). Saying your retired and filing the paperwork are two separate actions. Again, I may be entirely wrong on this.

Reactions: Ian
If Curran is right that Brady will not agree to come back and sign a one day contract so he can retire a Patriot....that will be super disappointing.
I guess Tom's motto is forgive but do not forget.
This would be a gesture for the fans of New England who still support him to this day.
If he refuses, Tom will come across as vindictive, petty and mean spirited.

I know he is pissed about the way Kraft and Belichick ushered him out the door but C'MON man...do it for the fans

If Curran is right that Brady will not agree to come back and sign a one day contract so he can retire a Patriot....that will be super disappointing.
This would be a gesture for the fans of New England who still support him to this day.

I know he is pissed about the way Kraft and Belichick ushered him out the door but C'MON man...do it for the fans
That Curran post was about coming back for the season, and Curran interprets it to mean no to a 1 day thing too. Maybe he’s got other intel, but it seems like speculation.

As you said the school year aligns with the NFL season. So if they are going to school in Miami, practically they will have to be there. I guess they could fly out to SF for the weekend. But TB is just a little bit busy then. And its a pretty long flight to hardly be able to see them.

If Tom is living in SF then he basically would be unable to see his kids at all for 5 months. This also hold true for LV.
I hear what you're saying. I still think his desire to play would trump anything else.

Brady can still play at a high level (just look at that week 17 clinic), but to continue to play at a high level, he first needs the commitment (to get all of the many things done to remain at a high level). I suspect he doesn't feel up to the commitment anymore, which probably has to do with 1) his age, 2) the disheartening season he just experienced, and 3) mental and emotional exhaustion from 2 and his personal tribulations.

I don't care it if he signs a 1-day contract with the Patriots or not. His career is in the books, there's no revising any outcomes. He retired from the NFL. The last team he played for was the Buccaneers. Leave it alone. His Patriots career will be well represented in the NFL HOF and the history books.

I don't care it if he signs a 1-day contract with the Patriots or not. His career is in the books, there's no revising any outcomes. He retired from the NFL. The last team he played for was the Buccaneers. Leave it alone. His Patriots career will be well represented in the NFL HOF and the history books.
Shrug, I don’t think people would hold it against him, as the team will probably honor him and retire his number whether he signs a one day thing or not. But some people enjoy this stuff and want to see it, regardless of his record book stuff.

Curran has his head up... the place it usually is.
Brady has to decide if he truly is done and if so if he wants $1.2M (the min he could sign for under the CBA) more of the Bucs money to give them some cap relief for this year. It's complicated. I posted this earlier:

Shrug, I don’t think people would hold it against him, as the team will probably honor him and retire his number whether he signs a one day thing or not. But some people enjoy this stuff and want to see it, regardless of his record book stuff.
I get it. It's just not important to me for the reasons I stated.

I honestly believe the NFL should retire Brady's number 12. The NHL did it for Gretzky.

Curran has his head up... the place it usually is.
Brady has to decide if he truly is done and if so if he wants $1.2M (the min he could sign for under the CBA) more of the Bucs money to give them some cap relief for this year. It's complicated.
He won't do it if he has even a scintilla of doubt about his retirement.

Exactly
Brady can even do his $1 contract after June 1st. That $1.2M in found Bucs money would pay for a few trips to the zoo with his kids, just sayin.

Last edited:
Someone who understands cap management better than me… could he sign a one-day contract extension with the Bucs to give them the cap they need but limits their rights so he can sign elsewhere if he wants?

Out with the wife today. She wanted to go see 80 for Brady. I wanted to wait for it to be on Netflix but I just picked up a new 70 inch TV so how could a football movie be a bad compromise
Place was packed. Problem was out of 80 seats. 78 of them were all women. 90% of those 78 came in with their own blanket and was washing down their tapioca with ensures. Movie is a chick flick except for the last 20 minutes which was the 28-3 comeback. I give it 2 out of 5 stars. Would have gave it 1 star but it got an extra star because the mens room was empty

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back