PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

To me this is already a good season

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no question this season has been challenging.

At the start of the year I didn't make my standard, homer-esque, "They are winning the SB this year" proclamation because this year felt different. The Wr position. The trouble on the road. Gronk's weirdness.

As usual they weathered the storm, improved, and are now playing their best football. They smashed a very good Chargers team. Lets not discount it. They belong in the Final 4.

With that said from the start of the season they are right were I thought they'd be- in the AFCCG.

If they lose next week, it'll suck but they will go down fighting and that is representative of this dynasty. Lots to be happy about. Of course lots of wouldas, couldas and shoudas will follow and rightfully so. Why didn't Bill trade for X, Why didn't Josh do Y. It'll go on and on. With the window closing just a bit more it'll be hard to swallow.

From the start of the year to now, I didn't expect KC to be as good as they are now. With that said they are not as good as they were at Thanksgiving.

The NEP are better now than they were at Thanksgiving.

My expectations are now higher.

I think they will get by KC and are winning the whole damn thing.

If they lose I'll be disappointed but not "07" disappointed but after a few days i'll look back on the season and view it as a good one- but not a success. Just like 2013.

You and I are on the same page more often than not. After the mess at the SB with Butler, the off season with Gronk, and the lack of talent brought in to replace WRs, Tom vs Time and everyone whining about being free and happy, I was all 9-7, 10-6. Now, I am thinking they have a legit shot at beating KC. So if they lose, I will be disappointed, but not surprised.

I have said before, they are playing with house money at this point. Never thought they'd win FIVE of these things, never thought Tom would be playing at this level at his age.

That's why teams that lose the SB usually don't fare well in the following season.

Agreed. Although the Patriots have done fairly well after losing a SB. The crazy stat is that no SB loser has gone on to win the SB the next season. 1972 Dolphins were the last to do it.

You and I are on the same page more often than not. After the mess at the SB with Butler, the off season with Gronk, and the lack of talent brought in to replace WRs, Tom vs Time and everyone whining about being free and happy, I was all 9-7, 10-6. Now, I am thinking they have a legit shot at beating KC. So if they lose, I will be disappointed, but not surprised.

I have said before, they are playing with house money at this point. Never thought they'd win FIVE of these things, never thought Tom would be playing at this level at his age.

Playing with house money is the key. Chiefs have alot of pressure to perform in front of the home fans. They are loud. But they may get impatient if the Chiefs struggle. That could led KC to press even more. Mahomes is also a first year starter. I doubt the pressure gets to him. But it could. And a BB led team has never lost to a rookie QB in the postseason.

Just as the title states. Barring a 28-3 type choke job (Unlikely), they've exceeded my expectations. I am a happy fan. Obviously I'll be dissapointed for a day or two if they lose Sunday. But I'll realize they overcame alot this year.

Your thoughts on this being a good season?
Have you decided who to route for when they lose?

It's a good season, agreed, but with the way they (finally!) played yesterday, it will be a disappointment if they don't go further.

Any season in which I get to watch the Pats play January football is a good season.

Any season in which I get to watch the Pats play for the conference crown is very good season.

Any season in which I get to see them play in a Super Bowl is a great season.

If they make it this year, having made 4 of the last 5 SBs, including 3 straight, winning 2 and possibly a 3rd, during the already 3-time champ QB's ages 37-41 seasons....good God that's outstanding.

Regards,
Chris

I agree. I suppose this is about semantics.

In the Belichick-Brady era a NORMAL season is reaching the AFC championship game. A GOOD season is getting to the Super Bowl. A GREAT season is winning the Super Bowl.

And yes, this is a ludicrous expectation level.

Many teams hope to compete for winning their division. Since 2003, Brady has NEVER failed to win the division. Without Brady in 2008, we tied for the division and lost the tie-breaker. As an aside, we won on a tie-breaker in 2001 and lost on one in 2002. I don't think we've been a wild card team under Brady.
====
When I "predict" our season, I always make the prediction of 11-5 and being the division winner. The reality is that 12-4 and playing for the conference championship is more the norm.

[/QUOTE="Deus Irae, post: 5494048, member: 5686"]Until Brady is clearly not Brady, or the team is badly injured come playoff time, it's not a good year unless they at least make the Super Bowl. That's a ludicrous expectation level, but that's what the Patriots have given us.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I'd rather lose to KC. Nobody will really remember Brady's 8-5 record in championship games. They will remember a 5-4 SB record and losing to the likes of Manning x 2, Foles, and Goff (I am saying losing to Goff would look worse vs. losing to Brees). Not saying it's fair. But that's the way media members are.

SB losses are tough to overcome emotionally. If you're a Falcons fan (example), how fondly do you look back at beating the Packers in 2016, and making the SB? You can't look back on it fondly because of 28-3. It overshadows everything else.
You'd rather lose?

I'd rather lose to KC. Nobody will really remember Brady's 8-5 record in championship games. They will remember a 5-4 SB record and losing to the likes of Manning x 2, Foles, and Goff (I am saying losing to Goff would look worse vs. losing to Brees). Not saying it's fair. But that's the way media members are.

SB losses are tough to overcome emotionally. If you're a Falcons fan (example), how fondly do you look back at beating the Packers in 2016, and making the SB? You can't look back on it fondly because of 28-3. It overshadows everything else.

Unless something terrible happens like Brady getting popped for PEDs, Brady’s legacy is set in stone. He is GOAT even if he loses another. That question was settled 4 years ago.

I’d rather see them win on Sunday no matter what the outcome is two weeks from then.

I agree. I suppose this is about semantics.

In the Belichick-Brady era a NORMAL season is reaching the AFC championship game. A GOOD season is getting to the Super Bowl. A GREAT season is winning the Super Bowl.

And yes, this is a ludicrous expectation level.

Absolutely. It's ridiculous that a loss to the Chargers would have had people swearing the dynasty is dead. It's ridiculous that a loss to the Chargers would have meant that this was a disappointing season. It's even ridiculous that a loss to the Chiefs will have people insisting that the torch has been passed.

But that's the reality of the New England Patriots dynasty. We've been seeing it since 2005.

And, given the greatness of the dynasty, that's really how it should be, IMO.

When it comes to legacy, Brady and Belichick are just making the rubble bounce. Everything after the 28-3 to 34-28 masterstroke is just gravy.

Though if they win #6 I might literally laugh myself to actual, non-metaphorical death. So there's that.

When it comes to legacy, Brady and Belichick are just making the rubble bounce. Everything after the 28-3 to 34-28 masterstroke is just gravy.

Though if they win #6 I might literally laugh myself to actual, non-metaphorical death. So there's that.

Would also be great to see them permanently silence the chest thumping from Pittsburgh :)

But that's the reality of the New England Patriots dynasty. We've been seeing it since 2005.

2005 hmm

2001-2004 under Brady was OK (3 SB's and one tie for division with no playoff).

1994-2000 was OK with 2 division wins and 2 wild card appearances out of 7, including one Super Bowl appearance). As I recall, we thought that it was GREAT for us then.

I early 1994, Kraft bought the patriots. The team sold out ALL the season tickets the next day (the first time the team sold out for the season). For me, that was turning point. This is the 25th year of the dynasty. In all these years, we have only been out of the playoffs 5 times.

2005 hmm

2001-2004 under Brady was OK (3 SB's and one tie for division with no playoff).

1994-2000 was OK with 2 division wins and 2 wild card appearances out of 7, including one Super Bowl appearance). As I recall, we thought that it was GREAT for us then.

I early 1994, Kraft bought the patriots. The team sold out ALL the season tickets the next day (the first time the team sold out for the season). For me, that was turning point. This is the 25th year of the dynasty. In all these years, we have only been out of the playoffs 5 times.

• 2005 was the year that the Pfifer left, Law left, Johnson left, Bruschi stroked, etc...
  • 2005 was also the year that the Colts got the rule change they wanted
  • 2005 was the year of Monty Beisel, Chad Brown, and Duane Starks
  • 2005 was the year they lost to the Broncos, in the divisional round

The dynasty, begun in 2001, was dead.

Except it wasn't

Last edited:
I still can’t get over the Miami loss which would have made a lot of difference. They need to beat the chiefs for me to say it has been a success. Super bowl is a toss up. I don’t mind if the rams or saints win.
That Miami collapse was one of the worst brain farts between coaching and staff in history of NFL unfortunately

You'd rather lose?

The question was asked (Or I thought it was): Would you rather lose in the title game, or the SB. I'd rather lose in the title game. I'd rather lose 41-10 in a title game vs losing a close SB. When you get blown out, you never had a chance. Can't go back and agonize over one or two plays being the difference. It just wasn't your day. I was over the 2013 AFCCG loss in about three hours. I've never gotten over any of the SB losses.

But this is only knowing in advance we were a sure bet to lose the SB. Now, if someone asked me if I'd prefer an AFCCG loss over a potential (Meaning it's 50 50) SB loss, I'd say hell no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes