PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans Covid positives, first outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like this virus spreads pretty fast indoors. hmmm. who knew? hope they get it figured out before football season starts.

No, but all you have to do is wear a damn mask and not do stupid things like go to a gala in an enclosed space with a bunch of people you don't know. You can still get it after taking precautions, but at least you've done what you can to try NOT to get it. What the hell is Derek Carr, et al. thinking? He knows he's in a sport/profession/season where you can't afford to get this thing, but he goes anyway, everybody else be damned.
You realize how often these people are tested, right?

Some less positive COVID related news

It’ll be interesting to see if the NFL follows through on their threat and fines the Tits/docks them a draft pick.

It’ll be interesting to see if the NFL follows through on their threat and fines the Tits/docks them a draft pick.
I don't think the Titans will be playing for the next 2 weeks minimum. What a nightmare scenario for the NFL.

There's no "double check". It can take up to 5 days after infection to test positive. A more interesting question is how contagious are you once infected but before testing positive? You may well be able to pass it on even while testing negative.
I'm not sure what the latest CDC stuff says but it seems logical at this point that asymptomatic people aren't spreading it like it was once said they were. If they were, the amount of positive tests would be much higher. Because of the 5 day incubation period, it's likely that one single person who entered the facility with symptoms had contact with each and everyone of the positives so far. Even the 2 that tested positive today. You can't say 'there is no double check' and then say 'can take up to 5 days to test positive' in the same sentence. The NFL has the right idea. Shut down for 5 days and retest. Those that aren't positive by Saturday should be good with what we know.

I don't think the Titans will be playing for the next 2 weeks minimum. What a nightmare scenario for the NFL.
This is why I think all it will take is a 3 team outbreak for the plug to be pulled on the season.

NYT today (though in the context of today's big news):
In a systematic review of seven studies published in May, researchers at Johns Hopkins University analyzed how long this process typically takes. They found that the most widely used test, called a P.C.R. test, was most likely to come back positive eight days after an exposure to the virus, which tended to coincide with a person’s third day of symptoms. Still, even on this ideal day, the tests came back negative on average in 20 percent of people who later tested positive.

My predictions for this season
  1. All games will be played except possibly a game late in the season between 2 eliminated teams. NFL won't give up or refund TV money.
  2. There will be more postponements
  3. The season will continue unless shut down by state and local governments ,NFL will find a way if there's profit to be made.
  4. The super bowl will be in March, which NFL is probably hoping for, maybe vaccine is out there and widely available so they can have all the festivities

I'm not sure what the latest CDC stuff says but it seems logical at this point that asymptomatic people aren't spreading it like it was once said they were. If they were, the amount of positive tests would be much higher. Because of the 5 day incubation period, it's likely that one single person who entered the facility with symptoms had contact with each and everyone of the positives so far. Even the 2 that tested positive today. You can't say 'there is no double check' and then say 'can take up to 5 days to test positive' in the same sentence. The NFL has the right idea. Shut down for 5 days and retest. Those that aren't positive by Saturday should be good with what we know.

Agreed and they have to wait until Saturday to be sure about all of the Viking players, but if the Vikings all test negative, that is quite amazing. That would indicate that outdoors might be significantly different than indoors for some reason.

Reactions: Ian
You realize how often these people are tested, right?
Yes, but being around other people who aren’t and not wearing a mask isn’t wise. Especially given what’s at stake. Any of them who contract it are essentially lost for 2-3 games. In what will probably be a tight race for the last spot, if someone like Las Vegas who could be a playoff contender, it’s just not smart.

Yes, but being around other people who aren’t and not wearing a mask isn’t wise. Especially given what’s at stake. Any of them who contract it are essentially lost for 2-3 games. In a tight race, especially someone like Las Vegas who could be a playoff contender, it’s just not smart.

Did I read somewhere here that a bus driver for the Titans is one of the positives?

Yes, but being around other people who aren’t and not wearing a mask isn’t wise. Especially given what’s at stake. Any of them who contract it are essentially lost for 2-3 games. In what will probably be a tight race for the last spot, if someone like Las Vegas who could be a playoff contender, it’s just not smart.

The players themselves are tested often. The issue is the people they choose to contact. They take risks for the team whenever they contact anyone who is not tested regularly or who are not very strict in their COVID protocols. The players who go to places where they are large numbers of folks should be suspended by the team for actions that could harm the team. If the team won't punish these players, then the league should act.

In additional to health issues, many millions of dollars are at risk.

1. The super bowl will be in March, which NFL is probably hoping for, maybe vaccine is out there and widely available so they can have all the festivities
I don't see them pushing it back to March, but I do see them as deliberately pushing it back a couple weeks. I could easily see a situation where there are 2 full off weekends between week 17 and the Wild Card. Some teams may need to make up games. Playoff teams may be sent to a bubble. You could possibly pull off 1 per conference if you want.

Yes. See POTUS.
I see him. A man in his 70s, morbidly obese, expected to make a full recovery. Greater than 98%. We shut down the economy, suspended our entire way of life, added trillions to the national debt, and forced thousands of folks into financial ruin, depression, and drug addiction for a virus in which greater than 98% of folks make a full recovery. That’s complete lunacy.

I don’t disagree with the narrative of wearing masks indoors. God knows I do it when I’m at the gym, grocery store, or in the convenience store deciding if I should make a serious mistake and buy some whiskey or go with the safer, less angry vodka. But ************, let’s keep things in perspective here. We should not be suspending, en masse, our normal way of life over it. This isn’t the end of the world. This is nature’s reaction to the planet being severely overpopulated and people burning through the Earth’s natural resources at an alarming rate. We were well overdue for it. If you’re elderly, infirm, or have an underlying condition that could negatively impact you, stay home. You have the freedom to do that. Quarantine is intended to be for those who are at greatest risk regardless.

I’m fine with that from a football perspective. He has a contractual duty to his team to do right by them. From a human perspective, however, we should not be shaming people for daring to attend a gala or another event during this. That’s ridiculous.

Which is exactly how herd immunity actually works in actual herds
Yeah, mea culpa. I missed the “vaccination” part of that quote somehow.

I’m fine with that from a football perspective. He has a contractual duty to his team to do right by them. From a human perspective, however, we should not be shaming people for daring to attend a gala or another event during this. That’s ridiculous.
I would say the shaming should be more from not taking the precautions more so than attending the gala or event. That’s just a heck of a risk given what’s on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes