PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
he has the green dot this year? prep work will help calling the d... quickens the understanding, the recognition/decision making process
That's a good question. I would imagine he will have the green dot. If memory serves, I think he had it at times two seasons ago before he got injured. But I haven't seen anything confirmed about that for this season, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
Yeah I definitely remember seeing Bentley with the green dot, though it might've been during a pre-season game...

This has to be one of the biggest surprises to me in terms of roster rebuilding (along with WR obviously). There have been many opportunities where BB could have signed relatively inexpensive upgrades at DT this sumer but he opted not to. Lawrence Guy is a good solid but unspectacular DL. But when he is by far your best lineman, its not a good sign.
BB is no dummy, he knows they will get pushed around this season and will be very susceptible to strong run games.

They do really need a big heavy run stuffing space occupying big dude.

Here are a few still unsigned; Marcel Dareus, Snacks Harrison, Daniel Mccullers, Corey Liuget, Hassan Ridgeway,

There is a reason that they all remain unsigned. Harrison interests me at little bit but he was not good last year and after the season he questioned whether he could still play at a high level. Dareus missed most of 2019 with an injury (core injury, I believe). He's only 30 but my sense is that the last 2-3 years have not been kind to his body and he be close to done as well. Maybe someone here knows more about his 2017 and 2018 performances. I also remember reading an article during his Bills days that he isn't a great guy.

Reactions: Ian
I believe that is not in BB's nature to tank.

But I am still astounded at the roster he has assembled, especially at WR, DE, DL, TE and LB, especially in the face of sitting on the most amount of cap space in the entire league (35+ MM)
Sure does not seem like he is going all in.

I do understand the uncertainty around the financial situation next year. Is it possible that BB does not believe the NFL season will finish through the SB, due to COVID?
No. Belichick understands that the cap will contract during the 2021 offseason, and more talent will be had for less cap space. He also understands that he has a young core that needs to learn the Patriot way and become professional before bringing in the volatility of high-priced, prima donna types. He realizes that this team has a ceiling of about 10 wins with or without a high priced WR. He's waiting to see if Newton can be a medium-term solution at QB, and if Hightower and Chung will return or retire.

Deus, some good points. I haven't seen your thoughts on this team for the upcoming year. Do you see us getting to 10 wins/winning the division?

Week 1: Miami - Flores will run the ball down the throat of the Patriots if he can, because he knows the secondary is the strength
Week 2: Seattle - Carroll will try to run, but the biggest run threat might be Wilson against the LBs, and that won't be about coaching
Week 3: Vegas - Chuckie's gonna run the ball, and Carr's going to hit short passes against the LBs
Week 4: K.C. - It's not going to matter, because KC's going to probably steamroll this team

Allen returning somewhere after that might change things, but the coaching (and talent) involved sets up for a rough start in terms of coaches using the run if they've got it.

Deus, some good points. I haven't seen your thoughts on this team for the upcoming year. Do you see us getting to 10 wins/winning the division?

"See it" is a tough one to answer straight. If everything falls right, can they get 10+ wins? Sure, it's possible.

If this team plays in line with what I expect, deals with an average injury season or worse, sees Newton get at least dinged up for a game or two, and has to play an AFCE that shows the improvement it (theoretically) should?

The team starts the season with 4 "guaranteed" losses (@Chiefs/@Seahawks/Ravens/49ers), so the Patriots would have to go 10-2 beyond those "guaranteed" losses, which is extremely unlikely.

Buffalo *2
NYJ *2
Mia *2
Raiders
Broncos
Cardinals
@Chargers
@Rams
@ Houston

Yes that’s what I said. Jesus.
Over the years, when I respond to your silliest posts, I essentially ask for confirmation, since I often misunderstand you.

A strong safety has always been a critical part of our interior run defense. Hopefully, Duggar and/or Phillips will take Chung's role.

IMO, using a strong safety does not eliminate the need for big fatties in middle of the DL and a solid ILB to defend to run.

Over the years, when I respond to your silliest posts, I essentially ask for confirmation, since I often misunderstand you.

A strong safety has always been a critical part of our interior run defense. Hopefully, Duggar and/or Phillips will take Chung's role.

IMO, using a strong safety does not eliminate the need for big fatties in middle of the DL and a solid ILB to defend to run.

our pattern matching cover 3 defense is predicated on superior play and communication from the safety positions.

"See it" is a tough one to answer straight. If everything falls right, can they get 10+ wins? Sure, it's possible.

If this team plays in line with what I expect, deals with an average injury season or worse, sees Newton get at least dinged up for a game or two, and has to play an AFCE that shows the improvement it (theoretically) should?

The team starts the season with 4 "guaranteed" losses (@Chiefs/@Seahawks/Ravens/49ers), so the Patriots would have to go 10-2 beyond those "guaranteed" losses, which is extremely unlikely.

Buffalo *2
NYJ *2
Mia *2
Raiders
Broncos
Cardinals
@Chargers
@Rams
@ Houston

From that perspective 9-3 in those other games (assuming 4-2 in division) is the ceiling, but that would mean Pats need to go at least 5-1 out of division. If you figure 5-1 within AFCE then realistically you also need to counter with no more than 4-2 in the other games.

Add the annual minimum one WTF game, and we are looking at an 8-8 season record, give or take a game, maybe 9-7 if the Pats win one of those initial four automatic losses. Unfortunately a losing record is just as likely as a 10-win season from where I sit, considering the defensive front seven and WR/TE.

I never said it did. I said a very good plaster in that role would help the defense.

I think if you look back your reading skills are silly not my posts and every time you “ask for clarification” your assumption was horribly off base, simply due lack of reading comprehension.

I never said it did. I said a very good plaster in that role would help the defense.

I think if you look back your reading skills are silly not my posts and every time you “ask for clarification” your assumption was horribly off base, simply due lack of reading comprehension.
"...plaster..."?

Don't let @Ring 6 see what was said about the Pats run D last year and possibly this year. It starts at 2:02:

I don’t know, it’s a fairly deep group that lacks a top tier talent. I think they’ll be workman-like, but I’m worried that the LBs won’t make enough plays behind them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots