PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This years draft haul

Ras-IR Dowling

2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know the consensus draft grades had us pretty low but so far I think it’s shown to be a good haul.

Strange and the Jones Bros look like fixtures in our lineup for years to come. Obviously today was a tough spot for Zappe to be put in but he played well given the circumstances. We will see what Thornton adds to the offense when he returns and prob won’t see Pierre Strong involved until next season.

Agree. And I am actually okay with continuing to draft only guys named Jones. The methodology appears to be sound given the outcomes to date :D

Actually, one of those Jones picks better step it up. I mean, as soon as he can.

Quietly it's looking like a solid draft. Thornton and Strong can wind up being very good too. Hines has an outside shot .

Think we are still one great offseason from real contention (of course this is also hinging on Mac turninng around the slow start and being a top 10-15 QB as well):

yes yes yes and yes...I was worried about this past draft but, even though I hated taking a guard in the 1st round, Strange has solidified that position. Is the seagull boned Thornton able to survive an NFL season, or at least a good stretch? We HAVE to find out THIS season. The Jones boys are already producing and it's time to get them the snaps they need.
So, so far, this year's draft has been productive. We need another similar draft in 2023. THAT and the fact we'll have tons of cap money should bode well for our future. It's the impatience of this fan base and this ownership that could really muck this up going forward. We ARE in a rebuild.

Jack Jones / Strange have shown to be capable NFL starters. Jury is still out on the rest.
Can we agree that Zappe at least looks like a serviceable back-up QB?

How about Schooler on special teams? Seems like a good player... Although I think he was undrafted.

If Thornton pans out this is possibly the best draft we have had in a decade.

On the field now and potential better in the near future then we overall probably expected

OK

1) Bryant is playing at a lower level than is acceptable.

2) Surely Marcus Jones is a better choice.

3) There is little reason to believe that this is so. Basically, we are saying that the defensive coaches are incompetent when they judge performance on the field and in practice.

As an aside, Bryant would still be the backup nickel back.

Things are looking good indeed. We need one to two more drafts like this but at positions with force multiplier effects such as LB, TE, DT. Drafting well at those positions are what will get us back into contention.

Things are looking good indeed. We need one to two more drafts like this but at positions with force multiplier effects such as LB, TE, DT. Drafting well at those positions are what will get us back into contention.
Don't count us out yet this year, last year we started 1-3 as well and made the playoffs, but agree with the last two drafts being very good, if we can have one or two more drafts like that, plus with us having a lot of cap space this coming off season, I think our future is bright!!!

Don't count us out yet this year, last year we started 1-3 as well and made the playoffs, but agree with the last two drafts being very good, if we can have one or two more drafts like that, plus with us having a lot of cap space this coming off season, I think our future is bright!!!
My only concern so far this year is that we haven't had a solid stretch of play in any game so far. There were signs last year.

I know the consensus draft grades had us pretty low but so far I think it’s shown to be a good haul.

Strange and the Jones Bros look like fixtures in our lineup for years to come. Obviously today was a tough spot for Zappe to be put in but he played well given the circumstances. We will see what Thornton adds to the offense when he returns and prob won’t see Pierre Strong involved until next season.
One thing that has driven my crazy over the last 20 years are pundits and posters who claim that the Patriots are lousy in the draft, when not taking into account their draft position. Because the Patriots had the best average record in the league (by far) from 2003-2019, they always were drafting near the end of each round. Comparing the performance of a Pats draft pick at the end of the 1st or 2nd round to a draft pick at the top of the 1st and second round (by a team who bottomed out the previous year) is simply not a relevant comparison IMHO.

The last two years in 2020 and 2021, the Pats record was 7 wins 9 losses and 10 wins 7 losses respectively. Neither season was really bottoming out the way virtually every other team in the league has, but nevertheless 2020 and 2021 was their worst record since 2002 (when they went 9 and 7). Thus, when one ignores all the very numerous (for the Pats) trade-downs, trade-ups, and trades into future years (an important caveat), the Pats had the best overall starting position in each round in 2021 and 2022 that they have since 2002. And guess what? Both the 2021 and 2022 drafts have looked to be extremely strong. Of course, the quality of those drafts also depended on good scouting and wise drafting by the Pats, but IMHO it should not be ignored that for once we weren't drafting at the end of every round (again, apart from trade downs or trade ups). That isn't to minimize the 2021 and 2022 drafts (great job Pats!) but rather put past drafts that pundits called failures (with picks at the end of each round) into context.

Can we agree that Zappe at least looks like a serviceable back-up QB?
Show me Zappe winning us a game first. He'll likely get his shot to start against Detroit with Mac out and Hoyer likely having suffered a concussion.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back