PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The World has never seen this Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. We may not be seeing the real Stidham and what he does behind the scenes. Has he been throwing to Sanu, etc. this offseason?

I seem to recall Stiddy working out with Harry though.....

If Stiddy beats out Cam, I am going to be drafting him in my FFL's because he will then be a top 10 QB this year, IMO.

If Stiddy beats out Cam, I am going to be drafting him in my FFL's because he will then be a top 10 QB this year, IMO.

if Stidham beats out Cam, it’ll say a lot about him...

Stiddy is way too close to stiffy.

if Stidham beats out Cam, it’ll say a lot about him...
Not sure about that. Cam is pretty washed hence the incentive deal on June 28.

Here is quote from the Athletic on the state of the Pats.

One NFL agent does not expect the New England Patriots' reign over the AFC East to continue much longer after Tom Brady's departure.

The agent told Ben Standig of The Athletic that the Patriots look "pretty mediocre" heading into 2020:

"I guess for me, it's the same one everybody’s going to talk about. Not because the contract was so monumental, just that there's been a seismic shift with (Brady). And all of a sudden, the Buccaneers are good, and the Patriots are bad. And I don’t know that any single player ever had that dramatic impact in free agency. Now, we have to play the game still, of course. But one downtrodden franchise is among the best on paper and the other historically, fantastic dynasty franchise on a 20-year run has all of a sudden gotten pretty mediocre. Now, there's more to it than just that. But it was Tom that instigated the whole thing."
Patriots Are 'Pretty Mediocre' After Tom Brady's Exit for Buccaneers, Says Agent

Not sure about that. Cam is pretty washed hence the incentive deal on June 28.

Here is quote from the Athletic on the state of the Pats.

One NFL agent does not expect the New England Patriots' reign over the AFC East to continue much longer after Tom Brady's departure.

The agent told Ben Standig of The Athletic that the Patriots look "pretty mediocre" heading into 2020:

"I guess for me, it's the same one everybody’s going to talk about. Not because the contract was so monumental, just that there's been a seismic shift with (Brady). And all of a sudden, the Buccaneers are good, and the Patriots are bad. And I don’t know that any single player ever had that dramatic impact in free agency. Now, we have to play the game still, of course. But one downtrodden franchise is among the best on paper and the other historically, fantastic dynasty franchise on a 20-year run has all of a sudden gotten pretty mediocre. Now, there's more to it than just that. But it was Tom that instigated the whole thing."
Patriots Are 'Pretty Mediocre' After Tom Brady's Exit for Buccaneers, Says Agent

So now an agent is an expert on whether Cam is going to be good next year? :rolleyes:

Not sure why everyone says the Pats are going to miss Brady's production in 2020. He wasn't very good in his last 2 years here. And before you say "it was his receivers," just realize that Brady has played much better previous years without great receivers. His accuracy and timing were off in 2019, and Josh had to reinvent the offense into run-first so they could win the SB in 2018. I love Brady, which is obvious from my handle, but even Bill recognized that he wasn't the same QB anymore. Otherwise, the Pats would have been much more receptive to bringing him back. But we heard that the meeting with him and Bill shortly before free agency started didn't go so well. Translation - Bill wanted to move on.

So now an agent is an expert on whether Cam is going to be good next year? :rolleyes:

Not sure why everyone says the Pats are going to miss Brady's production in 2020. He wasn't very good in his last 2 years here. And before you say "it was his receivers," just realize that Brady has played much better previous years without great receivers. His accuracy and timing were off in 2019, and Josh had to reinvent the offense into run-first so they could win the SB in 2018. I love Brady, which is obvious from my handle, but even Bill recognized that he wasn't the same QB anymore. Otherwise, the Pats would have been much more receptive to bringing him back. But we heard that the meeting with him and Bill shortly before free agency started didn't go so well. Translation - Bill wanted to move on.
Because it is more than just raw football skills when you are talking about the GOAT. It is his leadership, his mental awareness to check to the right play, to get guys lined up, to set the protection, to read the defense, his ability to play situational football, to be available to play every game (his most underrated skill and one Newton has been lacking the last few years). It is all of things that lead to wins not just the physical ability to throw the ball or score points. Brady played brilliant situational football last year in so many close games. He knew what he had in the defense and what he didn't have in the offense so he managed wins perhaps the best he ever has in career with a severely limited/injured offense.

And rightfully so after the season he had and his age.

Any serviceable QB could have gotten to 12-4 last year with this team imo.

I agree, I've never seen hair this terrible

Because it is more than just raw football skills when you are talking about the GOAT. It is his leadership, his mental awareness to check to the right play, to get guys lined up, to set the protection, to read the defense, his ability to play situational football, to be available to play every game (his most underrated skill and one Newton has been lacking the last few years). It is all of things that lead to wins not just the physical ability to throw the ball or score points. Brady played brilliant situational football last year in so many close games. He knew what he had in the defense and what he didn't have in the offense so he managed wins perhaps the best he ever has in career with a severely limited/injured offense.

So why couldn’t Brady lead his team to a FG against Tennessee with 5 mins to go in the 4th quarter, which would have given them the lead and probable win?

We see what we want to see I guess. Brady had a typical Brady year during the first half of the season, but keep in mind that was before the elbow issues and we had perhaps the easiest 8 week schedule ever. Once the schedule got tougher and his tennis elbow flared up he was average at best. I count 1 good Brady game in the 2nd half of the season (Bills, wk16). The other 3 wins were won on our defense (Eagles, cowboys, bengals).I think the 2nd half decline was both TB injury, tougher schedule and limited offensive weapons. He stays healthy this year with the skill players we should see typical TB numbers.

So why couldn’t Brady lead his team to a FG against Tennessee with 5 mins to go in the 4th quarter, which would have given them the lead and probable win?

Edelman drop was killer and may have scored on that drive and eked out a W. I would say if we had a healthy Brady of old we win comfortably. Or better yet, we wouldn’t even have been playing since we’d have a bye week.

Edelman drop was killer and may have scored on that drive and eked out a W. I would say if we had a healthy Brady of old we win comfortably. Or better yet, we wouldn’t even have been playing since we’d have a bye week.

Still, a FG is a FG and should have been doable with all the experience Brady has had.

We see what we want to see I guess. Brady had a typical Brady year during the first half of the season, but keep in mind that was before the elbow issues and we had perhaps the easiest 8 week schedule ever. Once the schedule got tougher and his tennis elbow flared up he was average at best. I count 1 good Brady game in the 2nd half of the season (Bills, wk16). The other 3 wins were won on our defense (Eagles, cowboys, bengals).I think the 2nd half decline was both TB injury, tougher schedule and limited offensive weapons. He stays healthy this year with the skill players we should see typical TB numbers.
I agree with your points here. I am not making the case that Brady was having this stellar season by any stretch but he was still Brady - doing all the things that manage a game for the win. That has always been his pedigree and why he became the GOAT in the first place. Even the seasons when he was putting on gaudy numbers, he was still the best game manager in the game which is why he has the most wins ever in both the regular season and post-season.

This is why I am baffled at what Bill has done here. I am fine with moving on from Brady at age 42 but we literally have a barrel of junk at the QB position. I can't figure out how the GOAT GM and coach let the QB position go to complete garbage after having drafted Jimmy when Brady was 37 and then taking Brissett right after. It has been 3 off-seasons since we traded Jimmy and Bill has literally got no one but a crop of back-ups at the position formerly occupied by the GOAT. This is why extending Brady made the most sense IMO as the alternatives are terrible for this season and most likely next season as well. If Bill knew as far back as 2017 when Brady first ask for an extension that he was not going to give it him than for goodness sakes do SOMETHING at the position.

And rightfully so after the season he had and his age.

Any serviceable QB could have gotten to 12-4 last year with this team imo.

Did you spill your soy milk all over your keyboard while typing this?

I agree with your points here. I am not making the case that Brady was having this stellar season by any stretch but he was still Brady - doing all the things that manage a game for the win. That has always been his pedigree and why he became the GOAT in the first place. Even the seasons when he was putting on gaudy numbers, he was still the best game manager in the game which is why he has the most wins ever in both the regular season and post-season.

This is why I am baffled at what Bill has done here. I am fine with moving on from Brady at age 42 but we literally have a barrel of junk at the QB position. I can't figure out how the GOAT GM and coach let the QB position go to complete garbage after having drafted Jimmy when Brady was 37 and then taking Brissett right after. It has been 3 off-seasons since we traded Jimmy and Bill has literally got no one but a crop of back-ups at the position formerly occupied by the GOAT. This is why extending Brady made the most sense IMO as the alternatives are terrible for this season and most likely next season as well. If Bill knew as far back as 2017 when Brady first ask for an extension that he was not going to give it him than for goodness sakes do SOMETHING at the position.

What do you suggest he should have done differently knowing the team’s draft and cap positions?

Keeping Brady was not a viable option. He was done here. Keeping JG would have been nice but again not viable.

Still, a FG is a FG and should have been doable with all the experience Brady has had.

Yep.

2 pick 6s to end the season, both entirely on the QB. Nuff said.

What do you suggest he should have done differently knowing the team’s draft and cap positions?

Keeping Brady was not a viable option. He was done here. Keeping JG would have been nice but again not viable.
He had three off-seasons to draft a QB and all he did was get Danny Etling and Jarred Stidman. You can look through the past 3 drafts and see all the viable QBs that are in the NFL that we could have had with our natural draft pick in the first round - Lamar Jackson, the current league MVP being the most glaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back