PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ultimate Brady vs. Ben Thread. Pittsburgh Troll Thinks They ARE in the same class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatekeeper

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This is not trolling. I am going to use an assortment of facts and figures that show that while Brady may clearly be the best of the era, he is not as far ahead of Ben Roethlisberger as many around here seem to think.

Let's start with the bottom line - Brady has 4 Super Bowl appearances in 11 seasons, with 3 wins. Ben has 3 SB appearances in 7 seasons with 2 wins, albeit with one of those wins coming by way of a subpar performance by Ben individually. However, Ben does have the most impressive game winning TD drive of the two men, with one of the most impressive in the history of the game in SB 43. Brady obviously contributed significantly to all 3 of the Pat's SB wins.

To summarize:

Super Bowl appearances per season:

Ben = 3 in 7 years, Brady = 4 in 11 years. We can call that even.

Super Bowl wins:

Ben 2 in 3 appearances, Brady 3 in 4. In spite of Ben's impressive drive in SB 43, his weak showing in his first SB appearance gives Tom the edge in this category. Both men have lost a Super Bowl.

Moving on, here are the career win/loss records for these two men:

Ben:

Reg season: 74-31 (.705)

Post season: 10-3 (.769)

Brady:

Reg season: 16-33 (.779)

Post season: 14-5 (.737)

Here again, both men have impressive winning percentages, with Brady taking the regular season, and Ben having the edge in the post season. We can call this one a draw too.

As far as individual statistics go, clearly Brady has the loftier numbers and overall recoreds, but Roethlisberger also holds records for QB rating and completion percentage by a rookie. He also went 13-0 during the regular season his rookie year, an impressive feat by anyone's standards and record that will probably never be broken.

Ben has a career rating of 92.7, while Brady is at 95.6. Slight edge to Brady although both rank within the top list of all time QB ratings.

However, Ben does hold a significant advantage over Brady in terms of career yards per attempt. Brady = 7.5, Ben = 8.1. Compare Roethlisberger's career YPA of 8.1 to Brett Favre, a man who many here seem to compare Ben to because of his "gunslinger" mentality. Favre only averaged 7.1 YPA in his career. This should put a rest to the talk of Ben being a wild man with no smarts who just throws the ball around.

Overall, give a slight edge to Brady in the stats department, but again, Roethlisberger's stats are much better than many realize or give him credit for.

Let's not also forget that Ben has more 4th quarter and overtime game winning drives in the NFL since 2004, even more than Brady. Although Brady has obviously shown his clutch ability throughout his career as well. Both men give their teams a great chance to win when the chips are down. Let's give a draw in the clutch department.

Hopefully I have shown here that in spite of these two having very different styles, Ben Roethlisberger can and should be considered to be in the same "class" as Tom Brady or any other top QB in the league, with Brady slightly ahead for now. Ten or fifteen years from now, we will be able to look at each man's complete body of work and see who is on top!

women assaulted in bathrooms?
We have a winner!

Ben will always hold the edge in the all important sexual assault and general douchebaggery categories.

One game, everything at stake. 32 NFL coaches will pick Brady if they can, including Tomlin.

Ahhh, yes. When presented with the facts the Brady supporters are quick to change the subject and start assaulting the gentleman's character!

One game, everything at stake. 32 NFL coaches will pick Brady if they can, including Tomlin.

That may or may not be the case for 31 of them. I'm sure Tomlin would stick with his guy. He witnessed first hand the most incredible -backs against the wall- game winning drive in SB history.

Ahhh, yes. When presented with the facts the Brady supporters are quick to change the subject and start assaulting the gentleman's character!

There's a difference between facts and statistics.

Dude dude...sorry but its Manning(even with the injury) and Brady on top until they retire from the game everyone else is looking up at them(including Rodgers)

So to summarize:

Brady wins in every category you listed. He has more post season success, he has more regular season success. He is better statistically. Furthermore, you never even went through TD/INT ratio or % of offense statistics in which Brady would crush Ben yet again.

Yeah, real close.

That may or may not be the case for 31 of them. I'm sure Tomlin would stick with his guy. He witnessed first hand the most incredible -backs against the wall- game winning drive in SB history.

When Roethlisberger carries a defense like last years or this years Patriots to division titles I'll be happy to say he's in the same category.

A few things:

1.) Stats are not the only way to measure a QB. You need to look at their importance to their team and their intangibles and how teams have to prepare for him. Brady beats Roethlisberger on all of those accounts. The Steelers are built on a strong defense and a good running game as much or more on Roethlisberger. The Pats' although not building a team around Brady like the Colts do with Manning, do rely on him far more. Brady has intangibles that few if any QBs have in history have had. Teams also prepare more for Brady than Roethlisberger.

2.) While on stats, you missed some key stats. TD % of attempts - Brady 5.6%. Roethlisberger - 5.1%. INT % of attempts - Brady 2.2%, Roethlisberger 3.0%.

3.) Roethlisberger also has had just under 2,000 less pass attempts than Brady. In fact, Brady has more completions than Roethlisberger has attempts. That is a significant number when comparing the two. You are not comparing apples to apples here. That much deviation in the number of attempts can seriously affect the percentages because many of these percentages will decline with more pass attempts.

Roethlisberger is clearly among the tops in the next level of QBs, but right now Brady, Rodgers, and possibly Brees are in a different class than any other QB in the league. Roethlisberger isn't in Brady's class right now. Probably never will be.

Dont kid yourself, he would take Brady.

Ben:

Reg season: 74-31 (.705)

Post season: 10-3 (.769)

Brady:

Reg season: 16-33 (.779)

Post season: 14-5 (.737)

This is the only part that matters and irks me.

Ben had his defense carry the team up until 2008. Brady, albeit had a good defense, pulled his team out from the grave time and time again.

If clutch victories were a stat, Brady would lead Ben by AT LEAST 3 to 1.

Oh, and SB clutch victories are another stat, oh wait, Brady leads that 2 to 1.

As far as individual statistics go, clearly Brady has the loftier numbers and overall recoreds, but Roethlisberger also holds records for QB rating and completion percentage by a rookie. He also went 13-0 during the regular season his rookie year, an impressive feat by anyone's standards and record that will probably never be broken.

Lol, this one just makes me laugh....what Ben did in his rookie season means a lot now, huh?

Edit: By that I mean him being a rookie doesn't make it more special.

Overall, give a slight edge to Brady in the stats department, but again, Roethlisberger's stats are much better than many realize or give him credit for.

Oh how I love that you only give Brady a slight edge. You compared QBR and YPA, two of the most irrelevent stats for a QB, but left out everything else....how about you take a look at the other stats and let me know if that "slight edge" grows.

Last edited:
If all the Steelers fans who show up are this ridiculous, this is going to be a long week.... Selectively hunting out YPA as a way of overcoming the QB ratings gap, for example, while ignoring TD% and INT%, sack% and other stats that are clearly in Brady's favor, is cherry picking of the worst kind.

Sorry, Gatekeeper.

Roethlisberger is not on the same planet with Tom Brady.

Never has been, never will be.

Bill Belichick would say, Stats Are For Losers

Big Ben is not quite in the Class of TFB, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees.

I love to flaunt our Super Bowls, but Terry Bradshaw won 3 and he couldn't lick the scrotum of either thye QB's I mentioned and Big Ben would Rape Terry in the Bathroom as he shows his skill.

Big Ben is NOT in the Top Tier Sweepstakes. I put him and Phillip Rivers in their own and same group and Big Ben is leading that group by a HUGE margin. This Group I call QB's 1.5.

QB 2's are Ryan, Eli, Romo, Sanchez etc. Romo is good just NOT good in the sense of his management of the game.

Brady,Rodgers, Peyton, Brees = QB Tier 1.

Big Ben and Rivers= Tier 1.5

Eli, Romo,Sanchez among many others= QB tier 2

Winner, Winner Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Dinner:cool::p:cool:

BOOK IT:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Wait a minute,if you squint real hard and tilt your head a little.................um NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes