PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Trade And The Choice

OPEN 5 draft a guard with a third round projection in round one and continue to give up 45 points a game to buffalo

They basically traded Mason for Strange gained about 1 mil in cap space, wasted a first rd pic, gained a 5th rd pic, and hope that This kid can be as good as Mason is.

Plus Strange is only 4 years younger than Mason.
$7,382,353 is RG Mason's cap number in 2022. Mason is 29.
$945,617 is RG Onwenu's cap number in 2022. Onwenu is 24

savings = 6.44M
plus 5 years younger

They let Karras walk.
$5,000,000 is Karras's cap number under his new contract. Karras is 29.
~$2,000,000 or so will be Strange's cap number, based on the cap number for last year's pick #29. He is 24.
savings = 3M
plus 5 years younger
plus the alternative is "Thanks Dad" Ferentz

Hey, I'm not thrilled with the pick. I am just pointing out the real numbers, from overthecap

Mason is still better than anyone the Pats have. They basically traded Mason for Strange gained about 1 mil in cap space, wasted a first rd pic, gained a 5th rd pic, and hope that This kid can be as good as Mason is.

Its an awful trade, plus they at best used thier first round pick to tread water at best, the defense is much worst now than the one that couldn’t make the Bills punt.

How many bad draft moves does it take before they take the reigns away from BB?

Kraft hinted that he expects better in the draft.... Maybe he is talking about in the year 2050?

Dude, I'm agreeing with you. Let it go.
You seemed to have made that very clear. Anyone with decent reading comprehension could've seen this.

$7,382,353 is RG Mason's cap number in 2022. Mason is 29.
$945,617 is RG Onwenu's cap number in 2022. Onwenu is 24

savings = 6.44M
plus 5 years younger

They let Karras walk.
$5,000,000 is Karras's cap number under his new contract. Karras is 29.
~$2,000,000 or so will be Strange's cap number, based on the cap number for last year's pick #29. He is 24.
savings = 3M
plus 5 years younger
plus the alternative is "Thanks Dad" Ferentz

Hey, I'm not thrilled with the pick. I am just pointing out the real numbers, from overthecap
You forgot to account for Mason’s 3.1 mil dead money cap hit this year.

You forgot to account for Mason’s 3.1 mil dead money cap hit this year.
OK, so Mason to Onwenu and Karras to Strange

-cuts age by 5 years at each spot
-ups athleticism at each spot
-saves about $6,300,000 from the cap, rather than ~$9,400,000 that I said before (my bad).

Getting, younger, stronger, more athletic, and saving cap bucks all seem like good things. The D will find your weakest link, and the weakest link was LG. A first rounder was a high price to fix it, but if it's fixed, I can live with it.

Its an awful trade, plus they at best used thier first round pick to tread water at best, the defense is much worst now than the one that couldn’t make the Bills punt.
Is there a game this Sunday?

I like the trade back to 29 I think we received great value for the trade. The issue is the pick itself. Do I think Strange will be a day 1 starter, yes, will he be good, I think so, I just think they could have gotten more value at 29 than a guard and there were good defensive options still there.

Now I know the draft isn't done yet and we still have more picks left, so lets see what we do, but if I'm being honest, I was "shocked" by the pick.

Bingo.

Class dismissed.

I LOVED the trade-down... In fact as soon as Penning was taken I said it's time to trade down now, because the ONLY two players for whom I would've stayed at 21 were Jordan Davis & Trevor Penning...

And it lined-up so very nicely at 29: The 2nd-best DT in the Entire draft, the 4th/5th-ranked DE after the top 3 were Long gone, the best FS/possible CB in the Entire draft (Hamilton I consider a SS), plus a couple of end-of-first-round worthy CBs still on the board... Beautiful...

But then the pick happened...

I will go to my grave/urn with the belief that Strange69 - whom I really liked as our first OL target if still available AT 85 - would've been a metaphysical Certainty to have been available at 54 and that 29 could then have been more wisely spent on one of the aforementioned prospects.

Last edited:
It amounts to this, would you rather have a 1st round bust at CB, a part time LB, or a five year starter at guard? Bill's betting that he's got himself a five year starter.

That's not the point.

Oddly, his best year ever for us was last year. He was at the height of his abilities. That might have something to do with injuries, but I wonder what went down between the team and Mason.

I think his best year for us was 2018... His pass-protection was always shaky, but that season ended with the best roll that he & Marcus Cannon ever put together, though 2016 was real good too...

The good news is Belichick has been more successful going against the grain early in the draft with o-linemen than other positions. Both Mankins and Vollmer were those picks that were considered universally reach picks. I could be wrong, but I think Solder was considered a big reach too.

Eight DB Busts in the second round in a 12 year span…. The best of the bunch was Tavon Wilson who other teams had a 5th round grade.

BillB knows all the value is in the 6th-round, 7th-round, and Undrafted picks..... :D

Mason is still better than anyone the Pats have. They basically traded Mason for Strange gained about 1 mil in cap space, wasted a first rd pic, gained a 5th rd pic, and hope that This kid can be as good as Mason is.

How many bad draft moves does it take before they take the reigns away from BB?
So are you saying that you intentionally made up your contention that Mason was a two time all-pro or are you admitting that you are a simpleton who can’t interpret his own link. Just trying to clarify.

Also, bold move doubling down with back-to-back in accurate posts. You have outed yourself as one of the worst posters here and that is very low bar. Bravo.

No one knows if its a good pick. He could be first team all pro and no one will some folks will still complain he wS picked at 29. No sure things at 29 and I heard that in this draft from 15-50 they all had similar upside
FIFY

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back