PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't we root for the team, though? I mean, fandom is weird...it's this tribal thing, usually hardwired into us as kids, where our team is the good guys and the other teams are the bad guys. It's fun.

But individual players? When you're a kid, it's maybe easier to have that hero worship. But as an adult...I just can't see how anything Brady does would ruin anything. He'll do what's best for him. That's the other thing...for me, it's marginally more fun when players are likeable. It's easier, say, to root for Julian Edelman that some diva jerk. And Brady has represented himself really well for a long time. He's a professional. But...

Have you ever really felt over the years that he was about Boston, or New England? He's played for us, so of course, in a way. But he's wanted to excel for himself, and by extension his teammates. He doesn't care about us. Nor should he, but I sense less of a connection from Brady to the region than lots of other players.

I'm rambling a bit I guess. But I want what's best for the team. I like Brady and as a QB he's probably still the best bet. But if he leaves, he leaves. It'll be interesting, really. But it shouldn't affect your fandom at all. Just my two cents.

It won’t effect my fandom if Brady leaves, but (a) I really don’t want him to, and (b) I honestly don’t know how much I care for the NFL anymore after Deflategate, and it’s been easy to justify my time dedicated to it as Brady and the Pats have exacted sweet revenge on the league. But post-Brady, it will be harder to justify giving the league money...Deflategate was beyond disgusting and I hate every owner with a passion, including Kraft.

Via Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, SiriusXM NFL Radio co-host Charlie Weis said last week that Brady texted him with the following important update about the constant updates about his free agency and future.

“I do have one bit of scoop for us. I’ve been texting with Tommy,” Weis said (and somebody should help Charlie pick up that name he just dropped). “I don’t [usually] pass along these conversations, but one thing he told me — ‘Nobody knows anything. So anyone who is telling you they know, they don’t know.’

“I’m not going through any other part of the conversation [but] I followed up and he said, ‘Clean it up.’ So I’m cleaning it up.”

Tom Brady sends message: "Nobody knows anything" - ProFootballTalk

Edit: I somehow missed Grux's earlier post with this info. All credit for posting it here should go to him, and I'll leave this post up in his honor.

ALL HAIL GRUX!

Last edited:
It won’t effect my fandom if Brady leaves, but (a) I really don’t want him to, and (b) I honestly don’t know how much I care for the NFL anymore after Deflategate, and it’s been easy to justify my time dedicated to it as Brady and the Pats have exacted sweet revenge on the league. But post-Brady, it will be harder to justify giving the league money...Deflategate was beyond disgusting and I hate every owner with a passion, including Kraft.
Well, I don’t really give the league any money apart from viewership. But aren’t you going to continue watching? I assume pretty much all of us are. The game is damn enjoyable.

Well, I don’t really give the league any money apart from viewership. But aren’t you going to continue watching? I assume pretty much all of us are. The game is damn enjoyable.

I don’t know. Sunday Ticket plus all the time I invest. Deflategate truly bothered me and still does to this day. Been a Pats fan since the late 80s, when I was old enough to understand what I was watching. Football is definitely the best sport to watch, but the owners and the league itself is a massive turn off.

If he's annoyed by the noise surrounding his decision he simply could say my first hope and option is to finish this in New England.
Or he could say he's ready for a new challenge.

All along Brady has been saying he wants to stay in NE and play until he's 45. If BB/Kraft doesn't want him then TB has no other choice but to go somewhere else to play.

As for the noise, I shut it off every chance I get and that works fine.

That is where I am also.

With all the scum in the NYFL it's Brady that they decided to go after, in spite of there being no evidence that he did anything wrong.

Even though Brady claimed that he wanted to play until he's 45, I never thought that I'd still be following the NYFL now.

Even if Brady goes to another team I'll still be a Pats fan, but when the day comes that he's done with the NYFL I will be also. The Pats will become collateral damage to me.

I don’t know. Sunday Ticket plus all the time I invest. Deflategate truly bothered me and still does to this day. Been a Pats fan since the late 80s, when I was old enough to understand what I was watching. Football is definitely the best sport to watch, but the owners and the league itself is a massive turn off.

Deflategate was definitely a turning point for me too. I used to watch as much football as I could but now it's only just Patriot games and an occasional implication game.

Two things about deflategate that will bother me forever:

1. They wanted Tom to throw the two ball guys under the bus and he wouldn't.

2. The ramifications of Deflategate effected blue collar guys in that there's now a legal precedent for a union. Judge, jury and executioner.

Anyway It is what it is now. I don't know what it means for me in the future.

No he couldn't. Anything he says or doesn't say will get parsed to an infinite degree. There's nothing he could do to stop the media speculative frenzy.

Unfortunately some people believe that someone has to be the bad guy for ending the longest and most successful relationship in NFL history. So some are blaming Brady for every perceived slight and others are blaming BB for whatever.

One thing that is fact is that there are a bunch of bitter and entitled "Pats fans".

If it does end now we were gifted as fans to something no other fan of any other team has experienced. So there should be no ending badly crap.

I am a fan, and I am not bitter.

Deflategate was definitely a turning point for me too. I used to watch as much football as I could but now it's only just Patriot games and an occasional implication game.

2. The ramifications of Deflategate effected blue collar guys in that there's now a legal precedent for a union. Judge, jury and executioner.

Deflategate & Bobby Kraft's lame acquiescence broke me with the NFL.
Despise the league & its ownership. All in for the Players' Union.
Post BB and Brady I'll become a casual fan, at best.
Started following the Patriots in 1960. Used to go to training camp several times per summer and games. Not anymore.

I thought it was signed after the ‘99 season. The contract seemed bizarre given Bledsoe was trending in the wrong direction. The 2000 was brutal.
Kraft was desperate to put the Patriots in the conversation, after that indeed lousy 2000 season.

Paying the QB a ridiculous sum of money was a way to briefly get attention - but it didn't really work, as the Pats were dismissed after only week one as having no shot at the postseason.

...Of course, MY main concern is that I had no idea Bruce Willis represented Drew?
tumblr_pln6kdnb2R1s9xw57o2_r1_500.gifv

Have you ever really felt over the years that he was about Boston, or New England? He's played for us, so of course, in a way. But he's wanted to excel for himself, and by extension his teammates. He doesn't care about us. Nor should he, but I sense less of a connection from Brady to the region than lots of other players.
The Patriots were the only team in the entire league which showed any interest in Tom.

I do not know that anything can ever diminish the importance of that fact in Tom's mind.

Breaking news. Finally something concrete!

According to the scoop, the next step is Brady telling Pats what he wants.

NFL Rumors: Next step in Tom Brady/Patriots negotiations is Brady telling Pats what he wants

I am waiting to see if the step after is Pats telling Brady what they want.

THIS IS MADNESS!!
Why is it madness?

If we assume Field's report is accurate, Pats made TB12 a multi year deal, he declined and his counter was to remove the franchise provision making him a FA 3/18.

What does that tell you?

I've been kind of ignoring the talk about Brady as a person, how he has/hasn't changed, who he is/isn't trolling, etc, because I think it's impossible for us to say. What I do know, is that this situation is really unique (and crappy) in its timing. Could Brady say something to reassure the fans? Sure, but he's never done it before. Because usually we hear about an extension while he's still under contract and it comes out of relative nowhere.

What we have here is a multi-faceted holding pattern because:

A) While the basic framework and general value of the contract can be negotiated, the new CBA will absolutely tweak the real nuts and bolts of it. Until that's finalized, nothing can guaranteed.

B) There's an awkward position where the Patriots can't really address the weapons around Brady until they know he's coming back, because Brady vs. Stidham removes a lot of interest in those free agents, especially the "prove it" players that help you build depth.

So Brady might be thinking of staying, but if he comes out and says, "Hey, I'm coming back, just gotta work out the details." and then something goes south and he leaves, a large portion of the fanbase will think he lied to them. There's really no winning for him (or the Patriots), by putting information out there before it's finalized.

Last edited:

and remember who left Brady out to dry in all this (BB and Kraft) so don't be "shocked" if and when he leaves.

and remember who left Brady out to dry in all this (BB and Kraft) so don't be "shocked" if and when he leaves.

I think BB recovered with his Mona Lisa Davito speech. Capitulating Bob never did imo.

Brady will be back by the 16th. The game is up once the Titans have to franchise Tannehill. Everyone will be happy. Except for Adam Jones who will go back on his Tom Brady sucks rant for the evening drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes