PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Censoring the word re-tard is ridiculous, for multiple reasons, and people should feel shame for having done that.

Censoring the word re-tard is ridiculous, for multiple reasons, and people should feel shame for having done that.
When used to describe delaying progress or accomplishment, it's fine. When used to belittle someone else, as is often done on message boards, not so much. The trouble is a filter can't identify intent so the site errs on the side of caution.

But that's all nonsense. You're confusing what a bunch of fans perceive from a position of themselves already being butthurt, with what actually happened. Brady had already been working the social media for years.
You mean in terms of him stirring the pot, or my comment about him swinging and missing at social media in general?

All I’m saying is that he’s gone a little Gronkowski here at the end, or what could quite possibly be the end.

I'm surprisingly calm for a former redhead about the Brady situation. I see 75% odds he'll re-sign with the Pats. Inshallah.
And if not, it is what it is.

this is exactly where I’m at. My odds for him returning aren’t nearly as high, but it is what it is. I think a real 2 year deal is what Brady wants, possibly even two guaranteed fully, and my question is whether Belichick will go for that or not. I don’t think he will, although I think he should. Either way, 20 years is a long dynasty, and I’m pretty much fine with how it plays out. Unless they sign Andy Dalton, ......

He was with the Hulu thing, but that was more of your standard marketing M.O. I don’t judge him by trying to expand his empire because I realize what he’s doing. His career is almost over and he’s trying to diversify his earnings. I’ll never begrudge a man, woman, or tranny for trying to earn more for his family’s future... and that’s especially so for the QB of my favorite football team who won 6 Lombardis for the squad. Everything else he’s doing, from an online and marketing persona standpoint, are the same things Edelman does and has done since he’s been in New England. I don’t see people piling on Edelman for that the way they have Brady. That’s why I think the ridiculous social media/TB12 complaints are, deep down, just based on his age and the fact that people are wanting to move on.

If you feel that way (the colloquial you... not you personally), just say that. Complaining about his social media activity is utterly ridiculous.
I suppose I take issue with the combination of social media and sh!t stirring for drama and attention, and I think that we’ve seen a bit of that. It’s just not what we’ve known for years and years.

Again, I just don’t think the Tom Brady of old purposely stirs everyone up if he really thinks he may be leaving. He’s not LeBron James.

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that people evolve over time & circumstance. I see last football seasons TFB as having fun with social media and I'm all in in enjoying that ride. I love Edelperson's stuff too.
I do agree that the Tom vs Time denouement was a sad misfire.

The real question is what does TB want from a team over the next few seasons? Money? A mild weather location? Fringe benefits? No, I think he wants a team he is certain can at least compete for a super bowl over that time period. If he feels that team is the Patriots, he will sign with them. If not, he will move on. With a very tough schedule, a tight cap space and major holes on offense, the Pats are not looking good in that area right now.

Am I the only one that laughed at his Hulu Super Bowl commercial? The build up and the punch line was hilarious. You could tell the joke was coming.

I don’t know what to say if you really thought he was going to announce either retirement or going back to the Patriots with a commercial during the Super Bowl.

I'm in the camp that people evolve over time & circumstance. I see last football seasons TFB as having fun with social media and I'm all in in enjoying that ride. I love Edelperson's stuff too.
I do agree that the Tom vs Time denouement was a sad misfire.
In retrospect, Tom v Time was one big passive aggressive ego stroke

That ^^^ was a polite description suitable for a family website

I hope that he stays, as I think it most definitely gives the team the best chance of winning, but he does seem to be a bit attention hungry and dramatic, lately.

I know you want him back. Giving the team the best chance of winning is winning what the AFCE. Tom is done IMO. Let's see what BB can do without him and let's see what Brady can do elsewhere. These opportunities will be more exciting to watch as football fans than watching Brady do his pout in press conferences saying we need to do better

I know you want him back. Giving the team the best chance of winning is winning what the AFCE. Tom is done IMO. Let's see what BB can do without him and let's see what Brady can do elsewhere. These opportunities will be more exciting to watch as football fans than watching Brady do his pout in press conferences saying we need to do better
I really want to see what Bill can sk with Mariota

I don’t see people piling on Edelman for that the way they have Brady. That’s why I think the ridiculous social media/TB12 complaints are, deep down, just based on his age and the fact that people are wanting to move on.

I think it’s safe to say that if Edelman was going on other team’s twitter accounts and “liking” the fact that another top tier WR had been cut so he can fuel the rumors about going there, we’d be having a similar discussion. That wasn’t a good look for Brady. Imagine if Wes Welker had done that with Denver on his way out of town, after tons of back and forth discussion as to whether or not he was leaving. We’d have seen that as a pretty classless act, and if you didn’t, you could at least appreciate where others were coming from. Brady has an agent and he can spread the word about his interest in another job very easily. He doesn’t have to make a spectacle of the situation by using public means like twitter and Facebook to further his interest. He didn’t need to show the world that he was forced to ”hide out” multiple times with Guerrero in an empty suite inside of the stadium just to seek treatment with his trainer. Not only was that selfish and unnecessary, but it was also completely one-sided. Common sense tells us that Belichick must have reasons as to why he doesn’t want Guerrero in the picture as much as Brady (and Gronk, who set the bar with his passive aggressive behavior when he left last year) would’ve liked—and that’s because it wasn’t how the team’s strength and conditioning program was carefully designed.

It sounds like you might be missing the point a bit as to why people are having issues with Brady and his trolling in the first place if you’re comparing his social media activity to that of Julian Edelman, who did not use it to threaten or toy with people after spending the last 20 years as something of a hero to the entire region and worldwide fanbase. Edelman is obviously under contract, but he didn’t put up ambiguous pictures, comment on other team’s social media accounts, have a private sit down with what basically amounts to his own personal reporter during SB week, threaten retirement two years in a row, and fuel rumors about leaving the team when he was a free agent.

The bottom line is that he is enjoying the attention. He is enjoying the questions, the public pleas from teammates begging him to stay, the talk overshadowing the SB week, the comments that come with every move that he makes, etc. He is enjoying the hand wringing from his longtime supporters and most loyal fanbase (which, judging by all of the fan comments on NESN‘s post about him yesterday, is quickly starting to backfire). Again, if Brady ends up staying, most of this becomes an afterthought; but if these are the decisions that he made as he leaves town, that’s something altogether different, and that’s what this discussion is about.

I really want to see what Bill can sk with Mariota
Over TFB? It will be interesting to see how Bill proceeds if it comes down to it, but I don’t see many QBs improving this team’s chances to win, and I certainly don’t see Marcus Mariota on that list.

Over TFB? It will be interesting to see how Bill proceeds if it comes down to it, but I don’t see many QBs improving this team’s chances to win, and I certainly don’t see Marcus Mariota on that list.
Hes a mobile QB who can throw on the run maybe we can fix him.
Before the elbow injury he was a stud.
Would love to See a 2 year deal to compete with Stidham.
Don't really want to draft any of the QBs in this draft.

I think it’s safe to say that if Edelman was going on other team’s twitter accounts and “liking” the fact that another top tier WR had been cut so he can fuel the rumors about going there, we’d be having a similar discussion. That wasn’t a good look for Brady. Imagine if Wes Welker had done that with Denver on his way out of town, after tons of back and forth discussion as to whether or not he was leaving. We’d have seen that as a pretty classless act, and if you didn’t, you could at least appreciate where others were coming from. Brady has an agent and he can spread the word about his interest in another job very easily. He doesn’t have to make a spectacle of the situation by using public means like twitter and Facebook to further his interest. He didn’t need to show the world that he was forced to ”hide out” multiple times with Guerrero in an empty suite inside of the stadium just to seek treatment with his trainer. Not only was that selfish and unnecessary, but it was also completely one-sided. Common sense tells us that Belichick must have reasons as to why he doesn’t want Guerrero in the picture as much as Brady (and Gronk, who set the bar with his passive aggressive behavior when he left last year) would’ve liked—and that’s because it wasn’t how the team’s strength and conditioning program was carefully designed.

It sounds like you might be missing the point a bit as to why people are having issues with Brady and his trolling in the first place if you’re comparing his social media activity to that of Julian Edelman, who did not use it to threaten or toy with people after spending the last 20 years as something of a hero to the entire region and worldwide fanbase. Edelman is obviously under contract, but he didn’t put up ambiguous pictures, comment on other team’s social media accounts, have a private sit down with what basically amounts to his own personal reporter during SB week, threaten retirement two years in a row, and fuel rumors about leaving the team when he was a free agent.

The bottom line is that he is enjoying the attention. He is enjoying the questions, the public pleas from teammates begging him to stay, the talk overshadowing the SB week, the comments that come with every move that he makes, etc. He is enjoying the hand wringing from his longtime supporters and most loyal fanbase (which, judging by all of the fan comments on NESN‘s post about him yesterday, is quickly starting to backfire). Again, if Brady ends up staying, most of this becomes an afterthought; but if these are the decisions that he made as he leaves town, that’s something altogether different, and that’s what this discussion is about.
So, uh, what’s your take on the reasoning behind the motivational message he left on N’Keal Harry’s IG yesterday?

So, uh, what’s your take on the reasoning behind the motivational message he left on N’Keal Harry’s IG yesterday?
I’m not sure what that has to do with what we’re talking about in terms of him potentially leaving, but I didn’t mean to suggest that ALL of his social media stuff is negative. Not at all. As you’ve mentioned, some of it is simply about promoting his brand, etc. Some of it is just because he’s generally a good dude, who often spreads positivity.

Or, if you’re on the cynical side, you can say that it’s a bit of damage control, but that’s not what I personally believe, myself. I suppose that my general point is that social media hasn’t particularly helped his look—as a whole, especially with some of his decisions as it pertains to his contract situation. I completely understand and appreciate the fact that you don’t see it the same way.

Last edited:
Hes a mobile QB who can throw on the run maybe we can fix him.
Before the elbow injury he was a stud.
Would love to See a 2 year deal to compete with Stidham.
Don't really want to draft any of the QBs in this draft.
I’m all for other options if it comes to it, assuming that the price is right and there aren’t any health concerns, of course. But once again, we are right back to the bridge QB debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes