PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next we will read that Brady is pitching for the Sox

C'mon October

For our sake, let’s hope they have a plan A (no new CBA) and a plan B (new CBA). That’s for starters.

To answer your question, I don’t believe that he could send out one magical tweet that ends all speculation, but at one point the Brady that we knew for almost 20 yrs would’ve handled this differently.

As others might say, I guess he’s “earned” the right to be a bit of an attention whore (?)

He’s also earned the right not to be jerked around like he currently has been. He doesn’t have a deal with the Patriots for this year, something the Pats wanted to do when they only signed him to a year last year. He’s being an “attention whore” since he needs the attention from other teams to get the best deal possible if the Pats reject him. Comparing how he behaved throughout his career when he never entered Free Agency is irrelevent. The Pats wanted Brady to enter FA and if they didn’t then why did they sign him for just 1 year and remove franchise-tag clause.

Brady deserves the best deal possible after being jerked around. And Pats FO has no leverage since they are idiots.

Last edited:
He’s also earned the right not to be jerked around like he currently has been. He doesn’t have a deal with the Patriots for this year, something the Pats wanted to do when they only signed him to a year last year. He’s being an “attention whore” since he needs the attention from other teams to get the best deal possible if the Pats reject him. Comparing how he behaved throughout his career when he never entered Free Agency is irrelevent. The Pata wanted Brady to enter FA and if they didn’t then why did they sogn hkm for just 1 year and remove franchise-tag clause.

Brady deserves the best deal possible after being jerked around. And Pats FO has no leverage since they are idiots.
At the end of the day, I want to keep either version of Tom (pre-2018 Brady and what I call Courtroom Sketch Brady or “CSB”) because I think that he gives the 2020 team the best chance of winning. I also understand that Belichick may wish to keep the situation as year-to-year, rather than committing and getting burned on a multi-year deal with a QB whose skills and ability to avoid injury may have already started to decline. There are arguments for either side.

As for the attention seeking behavior, some will argue that he’s got every right to keep himself in the spotlight and that his behavior is justified, and others will remember the Brady of old and wonder why he didn’t handle this situation with more grace and class. No, he doesn’t “owe us,” but the collective “we” are his most loyal, hardcore base of fans who have spent lots of time and money supporting him, and if he’s actually leaving it’s not really the best look for him to do it this way, at least not in this obvious and over the top fashion.

Anyway, that’s the argument, no matter where you stand on it. Part of the problem is that some, like myself, probably put Brady on something of a pedestal, thinking that he was “better” than the average selfish athlete or movie star, and lately that’s just not as obvious.

At the end of the day, I want to keep either version of Tom (pre-2018 Brady and what I call Courtroom Sketch Brady or “CSB”) because I think that he gives the 2020 team the best chance of winning. I also understand that Belichick may wish to keep the situation as year-to-year, rather than committing and getting burned on a multi-year deal with a QB whose skills and ability to avoid injury may have already started to decline. There are arguments for either side.

As for the attention seeking behavior, some will argue that he’s got every right to keep himself in the spotlight and that his behavior is justified, and others will remember the Brady of old and wonder why he didn’t handle this situation with more grace and class. No, he doesn’t “owe us,” but the collective “we” are his most loyal, hardcore base of fans who have spent lots of time and money supporting him, and if he’s actually leaving it’s not really the best look for him to do it this way, at least not in this obvious and over the top fashion.

Anyway, that’s the argument, no matter where you stand on it. Part of the problem is that some, like myself, probably put Brady on something of a pedestal, thinking that he was “better” than the average selfish athlete or movie star, and lately that’s just not as obvious.

I don’t think Tom has changed much. The difference is that the Patriots are now on the receiving end of his frenzied motivation. They are the ones that doubted him and slighted him in his mind. This same constant edge seeking has defined Tom, and perhaps none more so than 2018/19 when he rallied around the idea that no one believes in the Patriots. That was only a year ago.

I understand that you’re feeling his actions are sending a message, and I think they are, but that message is to the Patriots. I don’t think he really sees fans the same way as fans see him, like there’s some kind of close bond. And I think that the great majority of athletes are the same way despite their little shout outs and claims that it’s all about the fans. I hate being in the middle of this cross fire between TB12 and the Patriots. After everything they’ve accomplished together, this bs never even would have occurred to anyone after JG left, especially since they have no QB heir. But I’m also not taking it personally, and I don’t think Brady has really changed.

Clearly the perceived level of appreciation and respect from the Patriots has changed, and the circumstances (first time being a free agent) has changed. We are seeing him in a different atmosphere and different circumstances than we have for the last 20 years when he has felt appreciated and has had long-term security with the team. The first signs of it came on the exact same day he didn’t get the extension last year when he broke rank and complained to the press...and I think that’s very strong evidence that the failed extension talks are the driving force here, not some major personality change where he became a sadist, sell-out, or attention whore. He left that meeting with an agreement not to be franchised and was seething about not being appreciated. Imagine what must have happened in those talks where the Patriots grant him, after all he’s done, his wish to not be franchised, rather than give him the extension he wanted. His pride was clearly hurt badly, and I don’t think he’s over it.

Last edited:
I don’t think Tom has changed much. The difference is that the Patriots are now on the receiving end of his frenzied motivation. They are the ones that doubted him and slighted him in his mind. This same constant edge seeking has defined Tom, and perhaps none more so than 2018/19 when he rallied around the idea that no one believes in the Patriots. That was only a year ago.

I understand that you’re feeling his actions are sending a message, and I think they are, but that message is to the Patriots. I don’t think he really sees fans the same way as fans see him, like there’s some kind of close bond. And I think that the great majority of athletes are the same way despite their little shout outs and claims that it’s all about the fans. I hate being in the middle of this cross fire between TB12 and the Patriots. After everything they’ve accomplished together, this bs never even would have occurred to anyone after JG left, especially since they have no QB heir. But I’m also not taking it personally, and I don’t think Brady has really changed.

Clearly the perceived level of appreciation and respect from the Patriots has changed, and the circumstances (first time being a free agent) has changed. We are seeing him in a different atmosphere and different circumstances than we have for the last 20 years when he has felt appreciated and has had long-term security with the team. The first signs of it came on the exact same day he didn’t get the extension last year when he broke rank and complained to the press...and I think that’s very strong evidence that the failed extension talks are the driving force here, not some major personality change where he became a sadist, sell-out, or attention whore. He left that meeting with an agreement not to be franchised and was seething about not being appreciated. Imagine what must have happened in those talks where the Patriots grant him, after all he’s done, his wish to not be franchised, rather than give him the extension he wanted. His pride was clearly hurt badly, and I don’t think he’s over it.
That seems like a fair and reasonable take, and a lot of what you say may be true while looking at his recent cold(ish) attitude towards staying and finishing out his career in N.England. That said, it might make me even more concerned that he’s not going to accept the kind of deal that they’re going to offer.

If he’s taken it this far (as opposed to the year by year assessment that Belichick seems to be taking), it could be too late. How’s he going to act when Bill offers him a one year deal worth 25m? I don’t think this is going to end well.

Last edited:
It’s fairly obvious that this isn’t about money. Whatever money he leaves on the table can be easily made up for through endorsements, and we’re talking about a guy who has made hundreds of millions of dollars playing football, and is part of a power couple whose worth pushes towards a billion dollars.

He obviously has other motivators, yes. It will be a shame if he leaves New England on this sour of a note, both on and off the field.

Well said.

....and Bill couldn't give two ****s about Tom's pride.

Do you think he should make an exception this time due to the circumstances, or do you think Bill should stick to his guns, which likely means watching Tom leave? I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Do you think he should make an exception this time due to the circumstances, or do you think Bill should stick to his guns, which likely means watching Tom leave? I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
Just my opinion, but I want Brady back because he gives us best chance at lifting a lombardi. Unless you agree with @Tunescribe and feel Brady can no longer win us one with his play/team around him. Then I admit maybe we should move on.

So, imo its less about Bradys ego and more if Belichick thinks Brady can still win us a SB.

What exception? A warm n fuzzy/show some gratitude exception? Financial exception or both?

I'll say no on emotional aspect because I think if Bill changed how he behaves towards Tom that would not be genuine. Tom knows that.

Money? Nope. They'll pay him what they can.

I honestly believe Bill is evaluating Tom strictly on 2019 performance and what 2020 and possibly 2021 he will be.

He’s also earned the right not to be jerked around like he currently has been. He doesn’t have a deal with the Patriots for this year, something the Pats wanted to do when they only signed him to a year last year. He’s being an “attention whore” since he needs the attention from other teams to get the best deal possible if the Pats reject him. Comparing how he behaved throughout his career when he never entered Free Agency is irrelevent. The Pata wanted Brady to enter FA and if they didn’t then why did they sogn hkm for just 1 year and remove franchise-tag clause.

How are the Patriots jerking Brady around?

I honestly believe Bill is evaluating Tom strictly on 2019 performance and what 2020 and possibly 2021 he will be.
It's the only approach that makes sense, along with the money angle.

I think that could go a long way, yes.
BB has heaped praise on Brady on many occasions. Just recently he called him "an iconic figure in the organization." What else might be needed short of an excessive contract?

Did the Pats behave with grace and class by letting him hit FA when he went to 4 of the last 6 Superbowls and won 3?!?!?

He’s also earned the right not to be jerked around like he currently has been. He doesn’t have a deal with the Patriots for this year, something the Pats wanted to do when they only signed him to a year last year. He’s being an “attention whore” since he needs the attention from other teams to get the best deal possible if the Pats reject him. Comparing how he behaved throughout his career when he never entered Free Agency is irrelevent. The Pats wanted Brady to enter FA and if they didn’t then why did they sign him for just 1 year and remove franchise-tag clause.

I am not really sure where to start here... I don't see how Brady is being "jerked around". He has been signed for many years and has played at a high level. In a few days, he won't be signed to a contract and he is free to resign (if NE makes an offer), to sign elsewhere, or to retire.

I'm not sure how the FO can be considered "idiots" when this same group assembled teams that won SBs after the 2014-2016-2018 seasons. While Brady played a big part, he was hardly the only person to contribute (especially in the big games in the 2014 & 2018 seasons).

Everyone is free to make the decision they feel is best : team & player.

Did the Pats behave with grace and class by letting him hit FA when he went to 4 of the last 6 Superbowls and won 3?!?!?
Yes. The team has been great. They haven't insulted Brady, they recognize his skill and contributions...

I don't undestand why the team needs to "reward Brady" or sing his praise. The very reason NE has won so much in the last two decades is their business vs emotions approach. I hope it never changes.

Considering that’s what he specifically asked for, I’d say yeah.... they really didn’t have to do that. They could’ve let his contract play out as it was, and used the tag on him. *That* would’ve been “jerking him around”.

been through a lot of this crap going back to the 60's.;..I'll be there watching MY New England Patriots this September...no matter who the fakk is playing where. I won't like it if they are still trotting out Cotton Eyed Joe and dyamed if I know on offense with a Lusitania o line. A kid QB is fine with me...just get him the reps, which is THE hardest thing to ensure these days because of Scumbagdell and his idiotic mismanagement.

Brady put the cherry on top of his career here when the Pats beat KC in the AFCCG and then won their 6th bowl. I really don't give a shyt at this point about all the pinheaded hysteria over his career implicationbs one way or the other. At some point the Pats HAVE to move on and like I said, I would have been fine with that TWO years ago.

I'm a Patriots fan. Players come and go. You can't keep clutching your melting ice cream cone in the 90 degree heat of this media driven moron circus . March 18th can't get here fast enough for me.

To these folks that say they won't be fans of the team... where were they when they showed Milloy, Bruschi, Seymour and Willie the door?

Well said.

I would like to find out how Belichick handled LT his last year in NY. BB was lucky enough to be in Cleveland for LT's final two years, so he didn't have to deal with it per se. I am confident that, knowing how BB showed Bernie Kosar the door in Cleveland, it probably would have been the same. My point is this... you are right, he only cares about the success of the 2020 Patriots. We can all sit here and think that Tom is their best chance and all that, but Bill is the one who knows what he really has in a 43yr old Tom Brady.

For the record, I think Tom has earned the right to be here, and get a fat pay check for everything he's done for the organization. Unfortunately, Belichick doesn't work that way, and that's what has made this run possible: his unfeeling, uncaring, lack of nostalgia for great players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes