PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The optimistic case for Mac Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did Deandre Hopkins and AJ Brown’s reports… bottom line Harry was mentally and physically soft. There’s no measurable for that.

Why are we still talking about NKeal?
Well yeah, but from a football standpoint and I knew this watching any college highlight, he could not seperate. Every catch it seemed like there was a corner right there. He had some amazing type of catches, but he was hardly ever open. In the NFL, if you cant get seperation you are not going far, no matter your catch radius.

Everyone is a draft genius in hindsight...
Yup. Thats why you should never listen to someone who doesn't have a history of putting out their grades or thoughts on prospects before the draft.
Just goes to show no one predicted Harry would bust as he has. Yet, BB/the Patriots still get hammered for picking him.
I posted a few articles but SF was all over Harry and actually how they fell in love with Aiyuk.

But it stands to reason with how many wr taken and where they were drafted. SF had Harry as either WR1 or 2.

If the Patriots had a long history of making amazing receiver picks in early rounds then they might get the benefit of the doubt. They dont.
The Patriots have a long history of not taking WR’s in the draft at all… or late if they do.

The position fails at a notoriously high rate, for all teams… it’s better not to draft WR’s high.

Besides, the world makes a finite amount of 6’5” 320 pound athletes… it makes a lot of 6’ tall athletes. Build your team from the inside out is simply a smarter philosophy.

Well yeah, but from a football standpoint and I knew this watching any college highlight, he could not seperate. Every catch it seemed like there was a corner right there. He had some amazing type of catches, but he was hardly ever open. In the NFL, if you cant get seperation you are not going far, no matter your catch radius.
We’re beating a dead horse… the kid is long gone.

Harry's consensus scouting report literally said "has difficulty creating separation".
And that was accurate but he was still a late first to early second round projection.

Mac Jones released the most cringe hype video of the offseason. Just watch the first 2 minutes and you've got to ask yourself, what is he doing with himself? This is how he raises his level to earn the starting job in 2023? Shaking my head.

Mac Jones released the most cringe hype video of the offseason. Just watch the first 2 minutes and you've got to ask yourself, what is he doing with himself? This is how he raises his level to earn the starting job in 2023? Shaking my head.

This is old (like over a month) - and his trainer put this out there, not Jones (it wasn't on his account, it was posted in his trainer's story). Jones obviously approved it, but it's basically essentially marketing for the trainer to attract more clients.

This was from back in early February, where they grabbed that footage from:

This is old (like over a month) - and his trainer put this out there, not Jones (it wasn't on his account, it was posted in his trainer's story). Jones obviously approved it, but it's basically essentially marketing for the trainer to attract more clients.
Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for Patriots news involving Mac Jones on youtube today and this came up. It was the first time I've seen this video but it was the goofiest looking thing ever so I had to remark on it. LOL.

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for Patriots news involving Mac Jones on youtube today and this came up. It was the first time I've seen this video but it was the goofiest looking thing ever so I had to remark on it. LOL.
His trainer released a bunch of videos (I grabbed the one above that I posted on our FB & Twitter account), which included a variety of strength exercises, etc. They only showed the flexibility and core ones in that clip you posted, basically to crap on the kid without even taking the time to figure out where it came from. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Here's the clip from Twitter if the FB one isn't working:

passing matters

That's because you don't know jack about next-level conditioning and core work. Of course, you could've said something like "Wow, this is unusual. What exactly is he doing?" But no, you had to "cringe" and "shake your head" because above all you wanted to dump on Mac.

That's because you don't know jack about next-level conditioning and core work. Of course, you could've said something like "Wow, this is unusual. What exactly is he doing?" But no, you had to "cringe" and "shake your head" because above all you wanted to dump on Mac.
I can't watch the video. Is he practicing that stupid gritty dance?

I can't watch the video. Is he practicing that stupid gritty dance?

No, he's doing unusual conditioning work that some people intentionally misunderstand so they can make fools of themselves poking fun at it.

Mac is a good check down dink and dunker. Thats his A game in the NFL where everyone is fast and good. At Alabama he could excel because he was surrounded by top round NFL talent. 8 Alabama players were picked within the first 38 selections of the 2021 NFL draft. Corky included.

He is a Game Manager type thats happy to get a Field Goal from a drive. For the Pats to have any chance at all there must be a good run game and defense which the Pats have had since Jones was drafted. The problem isnt the OC because Jones did not execute the plays that were there for the taking in 2022. For instance, the INT that should have been TD to Parker @ Miami. That was a TD if the ball is thrown in front of Parker instead of behind Parker. The exact same short arm throw was made to Agholor in the 2021 postseason game vs Buffalo. That should have been a TD as well. Jones short armed a throw to Agholor vs Pittsburgh in 2022 only this time Agholor fought off the DB and came down the ball resulting in a TD.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
Don't undervalue getting field goals. If you have a good kicker, you can win enough games to get you where you want to go.

There are lots of careers where the player didn't look very good in his first few seasons, and went on to be great.

But, will Jones' best years be here? Or in a different city where he can utilize what he learned in a fresh, less scrutinized environment?

I think there is potential.

But I'm a Patriots fan.

I want our team to win.

Well, everyone needs something to believe in.
Right now I believe I'll have another drink, maybe get some popcorn.
Optimism is good.

So, I won't say The Optimistic Case For Tony Eason

I mean, The Optimistic Case For Drew Bledsoe

....ooops

[plus those two were better passers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back