PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official - Your Thread Will Get Merged Here If you Don't Move on from Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd make that offense a nightmare to defend.

I agree. Henne's numbers would go up in a hurry. He really isnt that bad of a QB, he just needs another weapon to throw to

Re: Randy Moss waiver update: Titans put in claim; Rams interested, too Read more: h

What I wanna know is when the whole waiver thing will be finalized. I know the deadline is 4 o'clock. What, does every team answer yes or no, on down the line from 32 to 1, at 4? Or has the process already begun? If so, why doesn't anyone claim him already?
It's essentially a blind process. Anybody that is interested in claiming him has to do so before the deadline. When they put in the waiver claim that team has no idea if they will or will not get that player that is on waivers.

In other words, no, the NFL does not go to Buffalo and ask 'do you want this guy, yes or no?' and if the Bills say no, then go to Carolina with the same question, then Dallas, etc. The NFL announces to all 32 teams that certain players are on waivers, each team decides whether or not to make a waiver claim, and whoever is first in order that makes a claim before the deadline gets that player.

I do believe there is a separate rule for when multiple players are on waivers at the same time however. If, for example, the Panthers want to claim both Moss and Merriman, I believe - somebody correct me if I am wrong - they have to say which player is their first claim and which is second. If they are successful on their first claim then they go to the end of the line with their second claim - though I am not absolutely certain that it works that way.

Last edited:
Titans would be a lost opportunity. Randy was all set to be the first NFL player to start 17 regular season games having been traded before NEP bye and after the Vikings. Titans are on bye this week.

Re: Randy Moss waiver update: Titans put in claim; Rams interested, too Read more: h

What I wanna know is when the whole waiver thing will be finalized. I know the deadline is 4 o'clock. What, does every team answer yes or no, on down the line from 32 to 1, at 4? Or has the process already begun? If so, why doesn't anyone claim him already?
Or... has it already been finalized and the team who's got him have to saty so at 4?

What jmt said. Additionally, I added the waiver order to the beginning of the thread so you can see who is still eligible to file a claim. I've grayed out the ineligible and the ones who have announced they passed.

It's essentially a blind process. Anybody that is interested in claiming him has to do so before the deadline. When they put in the waiver claim that team has no idea if they will or will not get that player that is on waivers.

In other words, no, the NFL does not go to Buffalo and ask 'do you want this guy, yes or no?' and if the Bills say no, then go to Carolina with the same question, then Dallas, etc. The NFL announces to all 32 teams that certain players are on waivers, each team decides whether or not to make a waiver claim, and whoever is first in order that makes a claim before the deadline gets that player.

And thank you too, jmt57. Now myself and a few other fellas are even MORE in the know! Okay, it's 3:41 and counting.

In thinking about this more, I'm wondering why the Titans would ever want anyone to know they are claiming him. I assume that claims are not public. And, if they are, no team in its right mind would ever make a claim prior to 3:59 p.m.

The only thing that making it public can possibly do for you is bait a team below you into preemptively making a claim. Since the story comes from SI, I'm putting it at virtually a zero percent chance that it's not true, or at least that they have a source solid enough to run the story pursuant to actual journalistic standards.

But that would be very very strange. Could you imagine the Patriots organization ever letting this be known? I think there's more going on here -- potentially misinformation from the Titans to keep him off the Colts? In other words, maybe the Titans don't really want him, but are prepapred to claim him and pay $3.5 million to keep another competitor from getting him. But what they'd really like is a team below them also to make a claim, so they put this out there.

If I have read my fantasy boards correctly, Kenny Britt is gone for a while. So it is essentially Moss, Chris Johnson, and ???. I don't think he'll be happy about going there.

I am going out on a limb and making my prediction now:

Randy Moss to the Denver Broncos

Yes, Denver already has some good receivers, but Moss is more valuable with Josh McDaniels' playbook.

In thinking about this more, I'm wondering why the Titans would ever want anyone to know they are claiming him. I assume that claims are not public. And, if they are, no team in its right mind would ever make a claim prior to 3:59 p.m.

The only thing that making it public can possibly do for you is bait a team below you into preemptively making a claim. Since the story comes from SI, I'm putting it at virtually a zero percent chance that it's not true, or at least that they have a source solid enough to run the story pursuant to actual journalistic standards.

But that would be very very strange. Could you imagine the Patriots organization ever letting this be known? I think there's more going on here -- potentially misinformation from the Titans to keep him off the Colts? In other words, maybe the Titans don't really want him, but are prepapred to claim him and pay $3.5 million to keep another competitor from getting him. But what they'd really like is a team below them also to make a claim, so they put this out there.

I was thinking about this too. You could also cause a team to not submit a waiver knowing that a team below the Titans cannot acquire Moss. For example if a division rival below the Titans were to place a claim, now you know they can't win and so you might not file a claim yourself.

I am going out on a limb and making my prediction now:

Randy Moss to the Denver Broncos

Yes, Denver already has some good receivers, but Moss is more valuable with Josh McDaniels' playbook.

Not a crazy guess. I don't know if he'll go that low, but I feel pretty confident he'll never make it past the Chargers. We should know soon.

If I have read my fantasy boards correctly, Kenny Britt is gone for a while. So it is essentially Moss, Chris Johnson, and ???. I don't think he'll be happy about going there.
Yeah, from what I read somewhere Britt's hamstring problem is pretty severe and he's out for six or more weeks, as I recall.

I guess there are a couple of ways he could look at it. On one hand the Titans are not known for passing the ball much. On the other hand when they do want or need to pass, there's a very good chance that the pass would be going to Randy.

List of players with more passing yards this season than Vince Young:

Philip Rivers
Kyle Orton
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Donovan McNabb
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Matt Schaub
Matt Ryan
Sam Bradford
Chad Henne
Joe Flacco
Tony Romo
Tom Brady
Alex Smith
Josh Freeman
Jay Cutler
Brett Favre
Matt Hasselbeck
Mark Sanchez
Shaun Hill
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Matt Cassel
David Garrard
Kevin Kolb
Jason Campbell

Sorry, but I don't see how that's going to sit well with Moss. The presence of Kenny Britt isn't going to change anything, Chris Johnson IS their offense.

This all well and good but VY has missed several games with a sprained knee. Yes Chris Johnson is their offense, but he has been limited so far due to teams' stacking the box. Moss would open that up.

The one throw Vince Young does well is throw the deep bomb

And it'll open things up for Chris Johnson.

Great move by the Titans if it's true. With Moss their offense could be very good. Now, its down too Young at the end of day, but lets not disregard the Titans as contenders.

I was thinking about this too. You could also cause a team to not submit a waiver knowing that a team below the Titans cannot acquire Moss. For example if a division rival below the Titans were to place a claim, now you know they can't win and so you might not file a claim yourself.

Good point. That would be severe negligence though. If you want him, I think you have to make the claim, and just assume everything is noise.

the titans, like virtually all teams that are foolish enough to put Moss on their team, will get nothing out of him.

there are, i would say, three teams in the league that would get production out of moss: the Colts, Steelers, and Pats. those are the teams with coaching and veteran leadership that Moss would want the respect of. everyone else....

i mean i'll put it like this. If he goes to tennessee i'm dropping him from my fantasy team tonight.

im in the same boat. im being lowballed with offers like mcnabb and actually considering it.

Yeah, from what I read somewhere Britt's hamstring problem is pretty severe and he's out for six or more weeks, as I recall.

I guess there are a couple of ways he could look at it. On one hand the Titans are not known for passing the ball much. On the other hand when they do want or need to pass, there's a very good chance that the pass would be going to Randy.

The Titans love to throw the deep ball allready. In the Cowboys game this year it seemed every ball Young was throwing was over 40 yards.

Maybe the Titans don't really want him, but are prepapred to claim him and pay $3.5 million to keep another competitor from getting him. But what they'd really like is a team below them also to make a claim, so they put this out there.

Ahh gez. Now I'm confused again. My avatar should be Butters. And if The Titans are doing what you're saying, that would be one hella dangerous bluff.

Unless there biggest concern is the Dolphins might take him to prevent the Patriots from having him now that the Jets have said they don't want him. If the Dolphins know the Titans are planning to get him, then the Dolphins don't need to grab him allowing him to fall to the Titans.

I just saw this tweet and had to laugh:

"any chance of Denver!!? God we could even do with Randy Moss playing at RB!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back