PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's damaged goods then the thread isn't even about a trade debate. My whole point was that there was an option, yet the vast majority went balistic at even the thought, with many posts excluding explanations. There are scenarios where Brady could be traded to a team making them instant contenders and giving the Patriots a boatload of talent on defense. You almost caught on, but bowed out.
Again, like many posts here you talk about Brady being one of the best, I concur. Then Brady having a monster season next year. The problem with that scenario is that Brady had a monster season last year and it wasn't enough. Now, you want him to duplicate it, or wait, do better Tom, because the defense won't hold. Ranting about the Patriots offense as it precludes to a championship is the ultimate *********** (if thats the terminology that you prefer).

First of all, to those who think that "fantasy football" helps you analyze this situation are Fantasizing. Fantasy Football only helps you play Fantasy Football...end of story.

Now, back to this (non) issue of possibly trading Brady to upgrade our defense. WHAT???!! No, franchise Cassell, and trade HIM to upgrade our defense...that is clearly the smarter move.

Matt Cassell hasn't proved he is even worthy of breathing the same air as Tom Brady...and he probably isn't! There are plenty of other options to upgade our defense.... Cue: Beyonce "L-L-L-Lemme Upgrade ya!" :D

What would it take...?

I personally do not want to trade Brady, and if I were running the Patriots he would be my starting QB in 2009.

However, these nonsensical conversations we've all been having about trading Brady (the "Official Trade Brady" thread in particular) had me thinking....What would it take for you, as GM of the Patriots, to sign off on a deal that would trade Brady? Everyone has to have a number...right? 2 First Round picks? Three? More?

AND AGAIN, I WOULD NOT TRADE BRADY....

Re: What Would It Take...?

Id quit if I were the GM before I'd trade Brady so I cant answer your question sorry.

I personally do not want to trade Brady, and if I were running the Patriots he would be my starting QB in 2009.

However, these nonsensical conversations we've all been having about trading Brady (the "Official Trade Brady" thread in particular) had me thinking....What would it take for you, as GM of the Patriots, to sign off on a deal that would trade Brady? Everyone has to have a number...right? 2 First Round picks? Three? More?

I would sign off on it, I could get a garuntee that nobody would ever start another thread about trading him.

Come on, we have a "trade brady" thread where this exact same question has been discussed over and over.

MODS! :rolleyes:

yah maybe, but the official thread has about 10,000 posts, who has time to read through that

Patrick Willis and the SF #1 this year and next.

Hi guys, I have been away from the site for a long time. The Superbowl loss was pretty hard for me. Dont get me wrong I have kept up on all team moves and actions, watched every game, and visited the team site daily. I even still have a truck PLASTERED with my PATRIOT battle gear. I wanted to remain silent for the season as a sign of Respect to our boys! But after today's game versus Arizona, I feel compelled to comment. Cassell is awesome! I mean REALLY starting to show us his heart. But TB has given us his heart and soul. He has given us 3 rings! 3 RINGS! Wait and if I recall many, many, many, LONG BOMBS, INCREDIBLE FIELD VISON PERFORMANCES, 1 SHAKE AND BAKE ON BRIAN URLACHER, BOOT GATE, AND ABOVE ALL A REAL RESPECTand FEAR FROM OTHERS FOR THE PATRIOTS!!!! I respect loyalty. If our beloved PATS traded Tom Brady, a few things are guaranteed, he would PUNISH us each and everytime we played against him. He would win more RINGS without us. And above all we would have sold out what makes our PATRIOTS what we love. TEAM MINDED, HONORABLE, and COMMITTED to WINNING. TB, I cant wait till you get back. Even though #16 is going to help us win our 4th Championship Ring this year! If he is smart he will resign with us, become a tight end, and the PATRIOTS can introduce the NFL to a true "WILDCAT" double QB style offense. OK... OK... A man needs his dreams. Bottom line Tom Brady is irresplaceable. GO PATS!

Perfectly said and very insightful! Nice drop on using BEYONCE in the post! GREAT AD!

First of all, to those who think that "fantasy football" helps you analyze this situation are Fantasizing. Fantasy Football only helps you play Fantasy Football...end of story.

Now, back to this (non) issue of possibly trading Brady to upgrade our defense. WHAT???!! No, franchise Cassell, and trade HIM to upgrade our defense...that is clearly the smarter move.

Matt Cassell hasn't proved he is even worthy of breathing the same air as Tom Brady...and he probably isn't! There are plenty of other options to upgade our defense.... Cue: Beyonce "L-L-L-Lemme Upgrade ya!" :D

Dude! Brady is the BOMB! Matt Cassell playing for the MANGINA JETS next year is about as likely as Bill Buckner playing 1st base for the Sox next year.

I love Brady and don't think we should trade him BUT........I'm nervous. First it was the foot in a boot during the playoff last season. Second, Tom gave up his cherished parking spot for the hardest workers in offseason (spent it traveling with Gisele much of the time. ) Third, didn't ( couldn't? ) play a down during the preseason and Fourth, couldn't make it through one quarter of football this year. Of course we keep Brady. But could I easily see Tom getting injured again next year ( 3rd year in a row ) and Cassel is playing for the Jets in 2009? Yes I could. Yeah, thats my nightmare.

yah maybe, but the official thread has about 10,000 posts, who has time to read through that

384! Little over there weren't you ;)

If we trade Brady, Moss will want to follow him. Simple as that. Case closed.

Last edited:

Come on, we have a "trade brady" thread where this exact same question has been discussed over and over.

MODS! :rolleyes:

The problem with the trade Brady thread, like this one, is the ratio of serious responses to post whose sole purpose is to derail and hijack that thread is 20 to 1.

Mods need to allow a new thread and/or clean that one out of those who trolled the thread.

To answer the original question. It would have to be multiple picks and I would probably want a vet player to.

But that question is really hard to answer in a vacuum. While I believe a trading Brady is a possibility that should be considered, it can not be considered as a stand alone question. Other questions include how much of a hometown discount is Cassel willing to give us? If none, trading Brady makes less sense. Brady is only signed thru 2010. Is he willing to extend at a hometown discount.

Sorry, you can put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig. Pretty up a trade Brady thread by putting a disclaimer that you don't want to trade brady, still makes it a trade Brady thread.

The problem with the trade Brady thread, like this one, is the ratio of serious responses to post whose sole purpose is to derail and hijack that thread is 20 to 1.

Mods need to allow a new thread and/or clean that one out of those who trolled the thread.

To answer the original question. It would have to be multiple picks and I would probably want a vet player to.

But that question is really hard to answer in a vacuum. While I believe a trading Brady is a possibility that should be considered, it can not be considered as a stand alone question. Other questions include how much of a hometown discount is Cassel willing to give us? If none, trading Brady makes less sense. Brady is only signed thru 2010. Is he willing to extend at a hometown discount.

Thanks for the resonable response.
My choice would be not to trade Brady if we have the option of trading Cassel, which is not a sure thing (see other thread). If we pursued a Brady trade, I would want to add three defensive impact players in return. Here's one scenario ( I'm no expert on salary cap but someone could tweak it to make it work): Brady to the 49er's making them instant contenders. We get a young LB in Willis and a top five pick ( 49er's trade their #1,2, for the pick). Thus, 49'ers get Brady for Willis, #1 and #2. Is that unreasonable? We then take that #1 and trade up for two first rounders, or we use a first for one of the lowly teams defensive players ( CB-Asomugha). Thus, we have two impact players and use the other pick on a top safety. The Pats still have their own #1 for a top offensive lineman or maybe use if a great tight end drops to our pick.
Note on Cassel: If you scratched his first few games as a starter and gave him those games as mulligans later in the season, he'd probably be a pro-bowler this season. He'll probably never be Brady, but that's not what the discussion is about. He will be a top QB in the NFL.

As I understand it you can trade cap space, raising the cap space of one team and lower it for another by the exact same amount. So we work it in to the trade.

Pretty sure that's not how it works. Its why these trades rarely happen. The Raiders had to pay the remainder of Moss signing bonus when they traded him to us.

ESPN - Salary cap, adjustment period hurt trade market - NFL

ESPN - Possible Coles trade stuck in salary cap limbo - NFL

What's the Salary Cap hit if the Bengals trade ChadJohnson? - Cincy Jungle

Unlike releasing a player, there is no way that a team trading a player can delay taking a salary cap hit. Once a player is traded, the remaining pro-ration is moved into that season.

Because of the way the Pats have spread out Brady's caps hit, they still haven't paid 16 mill of his signing bonus. So, in short, he's nearly untradeable in that sense.

The more the Patriots win the more likely Brady will get traded. If they win a game or even two in the playoffs Brady will get traded.

Insert foot in mouth...

Insert foot in mouth...

Make a list of pros and cons of trading brady or keeping him. Both sides are pretty enqual. I dont want Brady traded. I think it would be a mistake. Doesnt mean it will not happen.

I would much rather be posting in the "Keep Cassel and Brady until 2010" thread.

Unlike the hopeless Jets who are projected to be $26 million OVER the cap in 2009, the Pats are projected to be about $24 million UNDER the cap in 2009, with all major stars signed through 2009.

Some say we have too many players coming up for new contracts in 2010 to spend the money in 2009 on having a both an MVP QB, AND a MORE than adequate backup, at the most important position where you need depth.

BB has always said he wants to have the best depth and the best 53 that the CAP will allow. I would point out that that includes QBs, as well as other positions. For one year 2009, BB can afford to do that, everywhere including QB. For several years he cheated on backup QB and won, but this year his luck ran out.

The Patriots probably have more draft picks than they can use up high, to continue and finish the rebuilding of their Defense,already so far along.

Consider: They have a six man playable DL with several stars, all under 30; 5 playable LBs under 30 with at least one rising Star; and five playable DBs under 30, with at least one rising star too. Add high picks for another LB or two, and a Safety and CB and what else is to add?

If anything the Offense has improved over the last year's version. Additional depth has been found at RB, and on the O-Line, and one more place, at QB. They now possess an outstanding running game. It is much better than 2007. About the only thing they can use on Offense is a high pick for a starting quality Left tackle to start grooming for Light's replacement in a year or three, and a backup blocking TE. But Vrabel and Hochstein make that irrelevant, besides a 3rd or 4th round pick should more than suffice.

As for signing the players whose contracts expire after the 2009 season, they will probably be loaded into uncapped 2010, and they could be signed in 2009. If they did, it would even free up MORE cap room in 2009, should they want any...

Bob Kraft has always said he expects to spend what the league allows, given that he wants to be long term competitive. So he does not want a "gamble", loading up on a future cap misery for a one time shot. He doesn't need to do so;

With the surplus of high draft picks, all placed in the Defense, the D should be rounding into awesome shape in late 2009, to go along with this present Super Bowl capable Offense, late next year. I think they will be a prohibitive favorite for the Superbowl, provided that they have depth everywhere including QB. ;)

If we trade Brady, Moss will want to follow him. Simple as that. Case closed.

Well, putting aside the "simple as that/case closed" silliness, the point is obviously a real one if the Pats think about going with Cassel--the reaction of the rest of the team (not just Moss). Ultimately, it would come down to how well the move worked, I think. Some players would be upset, but most realize that the Patriots MO is to always do what's best for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore