PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it a rest with these hysterical posts--it's a board meant to discuss all things Patriots. These one-liners from people like you are beyond tired. Christ, shut up.
i guess you're right. people have a right to discuss trading Tom Brady, as moronic and idiotic as it is to do so. I stand corrected.

As I understand it you can trade cap space, raising the cap space of one team and lower it for another by the exact same amount.
Well, based on your understanding of trading cap space between teams, I now understand where you are coming from on your stance re: trading Brady.

As I understand it you can trade cap space, raising the cap space of one team and lower it for another by the exact same amount. So we work it in to the trade.

I suspect you'll have trouble finding points in the collective bargaining agreement consistent with that understanding.

This whole thread is ridiculous. This isn't like with Nomar where he was clearly a shell of himself, a cancer in the clubhouse, and costing the team wins on the field.

Another quarterback comes around, who everyone, I don't care who you were or what you say, wanted cut in the pre-season, has the team in a 3 team race with 2 inferior teams for a division spot, probably won't even make the playoffs, and because a HOFer has one injured year, he's damaged goods?

You should be ashamed of yourselves. I know it's team first, but I want my team with a HOF quarterback until he's 40, can't move or throw anymore. He leads you to 3 SBs, 1 first down away from a 4th appearance in 06, and 2 mins away from another ring in 07, and you want to trade him because some younger guy pulls a Manning and puts up 400 yard games against mediocre defenses? If you were married to Heather Graham and she was in a wheelchair for a year and probably will be fine in a year, would you dump her for Ashley Simpson? I don't think so.

This shouldn't have even been honored with a thread. I'm more and more embarrassed to be a pats fan every time I read these forums nowadays.

This whole thread is ridiculous. This isn't like with Nomar where he was clearly a shell of himself, a cancer in the clubhouse, and costing the team wins on the field.

Another quarterback comes around, who everyone, I don't care who you were or what you say, wanted cut in the pre-season, has the team in a 3 team race with 2 inferior teams for a division spot, probably won't even make the playoffs, and because a HOFer has one injured year, he's damaged goods?

You should be ashamed of yourselves. I know it's team first, but I want my team with a HOF quarterback until he's 40, can't move or throw anymore. He leads you to 3 SBs, 1 first down away from a 4th appearance in 06, and 2 mins away from another ring in 07, and you want to trade him because some younger guy pulls a Manning and puts up 400 yard games against mediocre defenses? If you were married to Heather Graham and she was in a wheelchair for a year and probably will be fine in a year, would you dump her for Ashley Simpson? I don't think so.

That's just not accurate.

i guess you're right. people have a right to discuss trading Tom Brady, as moronic and idiotic as it is to do so. I stand corrected.

Very good....we all look forward to the end of your posts on it. Excellent.

This is going to be my last post in this thread.

50 to 8

would you trade that?

Re: You will not get equal value

Would Indy trade Manning for Brady? No.

Yes, Manning is the one (current) player who's salary, impact, and skill are comprable to Brady's. But you can't get him, so you can't get equal value.

Draftees: Jake Long, Phillip Merling, Chad Henne, Kendall Langford, Shawn Murphy, Jalen Parmele, Donald Thomas, Lex Hilliard, Lionel Dotson

Plus Chad Pennington? For Tom Brady?

Nobody makes that trade even if those player's salaries don't count against the Salary cap.

Wow! Its 1:35 Central time and I'm pretty wasted, yet I think I can trash your post fairly accurately. You didn't ask if Indy would trade for Brady. Go back and read what you wrote concerning who was equal to Brady as it compared to their team.
Nor did you respond to my post in regards to the Patriots having a defense which is capable of winning a Superbowl. I think its wonderful to have a great QB who may be one of the finest the game has ever seen, and fortunately he has had a defense behind him which helped him achieve 3 Superbowl victories. Ask Dan Marino or Dan Fouts about having a defensive football team. I am ecstatic that the Patriots won three titles in four years. I also remember the Orr teams and the Bird teams where I expected more World Championships during their eras. Are you satisfied that the Patriots may not win another title with Brady at QB, just as long as they don't trade him. What if I gave you a scenario in which the Patriots ended up with four new defensive starters giving them a shut down defense via trade. Are you still stating under no circumstances should the Patriots consider trading Brady because.............an offense trumps a defense.
Don't you just hate a devils advocate.

Wow! Its 1:35 Central time and I'm pretty wasted, yet I think I can trash your post fairly accurately. You didn't ask if Indy would trade for Brady. Go back and read what you wrote concerning who was equal to Brady as it compared to their team.
Nor did you respond to my post in regards to the Patriots having a defense which is capable of winning a Superbowl. I think its wonderful to have a great QB who may be one of the finest the game has ever seen, and fortunately he has had a defense behind him which helped him achieve 3 Superbowl victories. Ask Dan Marino or Dan Fouts about having a defensive football team. I am ecstatic that the Patriots won three titles in four years. I also remember the Orr teams and the Bird teams where I expected more World Championships during their eras. Are you satisfied that the Patriots may not win another title with Brady at QB, just as long as they don't trade him. What if I gave you a scenario in which the Patriots ended up with four new defensive starters giving them a shut down defense via trade. Are you still stating under no circumstances should the Patriots consider trading Brady because.............an offense trumps a defense.
Don't you just hate a devils advocate.

Tell me the situation. There is no realistic scenario in the present NFL where the Patriots get dollar-for-dollar value for Tom Brady. Yes, there is one player who represents comprable (and perhaps equal) value, but you can't get him.

Tell me the situation. There is no realistic scenario in the present NFL where the Patriots get dollar-for-dollar value for Tom Brady. Yes, there is one player who represents comprable (and perhaps equal) value, but you can't get him.

I really don't get your dollar for dollar scenario, this isn't the NBA. Although, its a different spin from the usual hysteria. The team prior to the Patriot who won three out of four SB's built their team by trading one player. Currently, the Patriots do not have a championship caliber defense to win, thus you look at all options. A trade involving multiple teams with the end result benefiting the Patriots defense could transform them into a new dynasty. I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure I would do it, but at the same time I have no problem imagining the benefit of that trade.

Absolutely ,positively,unequivocally ridiculous.......

Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

think about it... we'd save about 12 million a year. we could recreate our secondary

Because it's pointless to trade one of the 5 best quarterbacks of all-time when he hasn't proven that he's damaged goods for the rest of his career.

If you could get Drew Brees, Antonio Cromartie, and Champ Bailey for Brady, I could understand the argument, but that wouldn't happen. The salaries wouldn't much up, and even if somehow they could pull Roger Clemens to the Yankees a la 1999, why would the teams involved do it just to benefit the Patriots and the team who would get Brady?

Even talk like that is mental masturbation, fantasy football talk. We have arguably the best QB ever to play the game not named Joe Montana or John Elway, and we're going to trade him because of an outside circumstance that won't matter this time next year when he guides the team to a 12-4 record, division championship, with 35 TD and 4,000 yards and another possible MVP and Super Bowl MVP? Think before you speak.

I really don't get your dollar for dollar scenario, this isn't the NBA. Although, its a different spin from the usual hysteria. The team prior to the Patriot who won three out of four SB's built their team by trading one player. Currently, the Patriots do not have a championship caliber defense to win, thus you look at all options. A trade involving multiple teams with the end result benefiting the Patriots defense could transform them into a new dynasty. I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure I would do it, but at the same time I have no problem imagining the benefit of that trade.

Good post. Interesting to think about in terms of dynasties over the years. There typically is a team of the decade: in the 70s it was the Steelers, in the 80s the 49ers, the 90s the Cowboys, and the 00's (the oughts?) our Patriots. So a way to frame the question of Brady and Cassel is not look how great Tom Brady is, but how to position this team as the team of the next decade. Is it to ride Brady and the current group, or do you think about the roll of the dice with a different qb and bushels of draft picks. As you say, I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure I would do it, but at the same time I have no problem imagining the benefit of that trade.

Good post. Interesting to think about in terms of dynasties over the years. There typically is a team of the decade: in the 70s it was the Steelers, in the 80s the 49ers, the 90s the Cowboys, and the 00's (the oughts?) our Patriots. So a way to frame the question of Brady and Cassel is not look how great Tom Brady is, but how to position this team as the team of the next decade. Is it to ride Brady and the current group, or do you think about the roll of the dice with a different qb and bushels of draft picks. As you say, I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure I would do it, but at the same time I have no problem imagining the benefit of that trade.

People just assume the Patriots could trade Brady easily. Brady would not go to a lot of teams. Detriot? Crap Miami just scored!

Because it's pointless to trade one of the 5 best quarterbacks of all-time when he hasn't proven that he's damaged goods for the rest of his career.

If you could get Drew Brees, Antonio Cromartie, and Champ Bailey for Brady, I could understand the argument, but that wouldn't happen. The salaries wouldn't much up, and even if somehow they could pull Roger Clemens to the Yankees a la 1999, why would the teams involved do it just to benefit the Patriots and the team who would get Brady?

Even talk like that is mental masturbation, fantasy football talk. We have arguably the best QB ever to play the game not named Joe Montana or John Elway, and we're going to trade him because of an outside circumstance that won't matter this time next year when he guides the team to a 12-4 record, division championship, with 35 TD and 4,000 yards and another possible MVP and Super Bowl MVP? Think before you speak.

If he's damaged goods then the thread isn't even about a trade debate. My whole point was that there was an option, yet the vast majority went balistic at even the thought, with many posts excluding explanations. There are scenarios where Brady could be traded to a team making them instant contenders and giving the Patriots a boatload of talent on defense. You almost caught on, but bowed out.
Again, like many posts here you talk about Brady being one of the best, I concur. Then Brady having a monster season next year. The problem with that scenario is that Brady had a monster season last year and it wasn't enough. Now, you want him to duplicate it, or wait, do better Tom, because the defense won't hold. Ranting about the Patriots offense as it precludes to a championship is the ultimate *********** (if thats the terminology that you prefer).

If he's damaged goods then the thread isn't even about a trade debate. My whole point was that there was an option, yet the vast majority went balistic at even the thought, with many posts excluding explanations. There are scenarios where Brady could be traded to a team making them instant contenders and giving the Patriots a boatload of talent on defense. You almost caught on, but bowed out.
Again, like many posts here you talk about Brady being one of the best, I concur. Then Brady having a monster season next year. The problem with that scenario is that Brady had a monster season last year and it wasn't enough. Now, you want him to duplicate it, or wait, do better Tom, because the defense won't hold. Ranting about the Patriots offense as it precludes to a championship is the ultimate *********** (if thats the terminology that you prefer).

The more the Patriots win the more likely Brady will get traded. If they win a game or even two in the playoffs Brady will get traded. At first I thought it would never happen but now I am not so sure. Has Brady played his last down as a Patriot? If they do trade him it better be to the NFC. Also I think he would retire before going to some teams.

I love Brady and don't think we should trade him BUT........I'm nervous. First it was the foot in a boot during the playoff last season. Second, Tom gave up his cherished parking spot for the hardest workers in offseason (spent it traveling with Gisele much of the time. ) Third, didn't ( couldn't? ) play a down during the preseason and Fourth, couldn't make it through one quarter of football this year. Of course we keep Brady. But could I easily see Tom getting injured again next year ( 3rd year in a row ) and Cassel is playing for the Jets in 2009? Yes I could. Yeah, thats my nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes